The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Question for grinding brisket for burgers. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152425)

Pyle's BBQ 01-27-2013 02:17 AM

Question for grinding brisket for burgers.

When using brisket for burgers, how much fat is trimmed off, if any? Do you separate the point and the flat? Is the fat between the point and flat used?

Thanks in advanced.

NorthwestBBQ 01-27-2013 02:34 AM

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=54577

The_Kapn 01-27-2013 07:01 AM

Lookie Here 8)

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=121196

Nothing is set in stone.
I just did 2 briskets.
One was pretty lean and I left most of the exterior fat on it.
The other was as marbled as some Wagyu I have cooked, so I trimmed most of the exterior fat off of it.

Good Eats!!

TIM

Bludawg 01-27-2013 09:36 AM

I'm an 80/20 man I use the whole brisket fat and all sometimes I add extra fat some times not. I add 3 lbs sirlion and 3 lbs chuck for every 10 lbs brisket

Midnight Smoke 01-27-2013 08:27 PM

I have only done a couple but can throw in my 2 cents. I tried once untrimmed and there was so much white fat smoke I could not see the grill. Trimmed the next ones pretty good as there is still a lot of internal fat content. I would cut off most all the hard fat for sure.

Ground the whole packer and added about a 1/4 lb of bacon, the brisket was around 13lbs trimmed if I remember correctly.

I do like the suggestion to add Chuck, sounds good.

Bludawg 01-27-2013 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bludawg (Post 2343494)
I'm an 80/20 man I use the whole brisket fat and all sometimes I add extra fat some times not. I add 3 lbs sirlion and 3 lbs chuck for every 10 lbs brisket

I guess I should clarify I do remove ALL the hard fat before grinding. the hard fat has two good use making beef Tallow and melted down to make soap.

BigBellyBBQ 01-28-2013 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bludawg (Post 2343494)

this is a great combo or something close..but the large fat is what I remove...then if it looks lean then I will add a little...

rubbbq 01-28-2013 07:28 AM

I use 1/3 fat that I've trimmed from other briskets, 1/3 chunks of smoked burnt ends, and 1/3 fresh brisket....makes an AWESOME burger!

chriscw81 01-28-2013 07:48 AM

I've yet to make burgers from brisket. I've been using Chuck mainly but other stuff too, even some bacon. I love brisket and have hard time bringing myself to grind it. What are yalls thoughts on using a cheaper select brisket? heck, that would be cheaper per pound than lots of other stuff.

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Midnight Smoke 01-28-2013 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chriscw81 (Post 2344761)
I love brisket and have hard time bringing myself to grind it. What are yalls thoughts on using a cheaper select brisket? heck, that would be cheaper per pound than lots of other stuff. Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

If you like Brisket then do yourself a favor and try Brisket Burgers. Hardest part is getting just the right flavor profile. I can understand your hesitation on grinding up a nice Brisket and having it not be so good. Once you get that flavor correct you will appreciate it.

Be sure to have a big party or Freeze some as it will make a bunch of burgers.

The old saying is, "You Get What You Pay For" :wink:

seattlepitboss 01-28-2013 10:33 AM

I have been grinding nothing but brisket for burgers for a couple of years now. I don't make a lot of them at once because if I do, I'll get a grease fire for sure. Not a flare-up, a CONFLAGRATION. So I just use all the fat. One thing I do that cuts down on the mess is that I cut up the meat into domino-size chunks and lay them out on a cookie sheet and freeze them for 30-40 minutes to firm them up. Stops all the spattering when grinding.

Brisket burgers are wonderful. Flavorful and juicy for days ..

seattlepitboss

chriscw81 01-28-2013 11:10 AM

i'm thinking i'm gonna try my first brisket grind soon. i'm gonna try a select brisket first and see how it turns out. i can get a select brisket any day of the week for about 2.50 a pound. that's an awesome price for some good burgers.

Dirt Daddy 01-28-2013 11:14 AM

Brisket makes great burgers...Matter of fact I grind most of my deer up amd mix it with brisket...60 % deer 40 % brisket