The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Philly Cheese Steaks (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=279144)

yoursangoma 02-26-2020 06:53 PM

Philly Cheese Steaks
 
So the daughter requested some philly cheese steaks (Super proud dad moment). Haven't made them before. Bought Steakumms cause that was the only option for me on short notice (hopefully this doesn't mean that they are going to suck no matter what). Do I put any seasonings on the meat/veggies? What's your best recipe? How do I make sure she asks for these again? Any and all suggestions are welcome.

TIA

kurtsara 02-26-2020 06:55 PM

Salt and pepper is all I have used.

pharp 02-26-2020 06:59 PM

I am not sure how you are going to cook them, but while I love the ease of Steak-Ums I find it hard to get flavor in them. I really like cooking them and then letting them simmer with the veggies and seasonings as long as possible.

Shadowdog500 02-26-2020 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yoursangoma (Post 4276360)
So the daughter requested some philly cheese steaks (Super proud dad moment). Haven't made them before. Bought Steakumms cause that was the only option for me on short notice (hopefully this doesn't mean that they are going to suck no matter what). Do I put any seasonings on the meat/veggies? What's your best recipe? How do I make sure she asks for these again? Any and all suggestions are welcome.

TIA

Born and raised in philly and everyone I knew made steakumms in a pinch at home. Never really chopped steakuum up Like you would do with shaved ribeye. just put oil in the pan and put the meat on. Salt and pepper. When the bottom seems done flip it over and put cooper white American cheese on it and pull it off when it is done. Cooper white American melts perfectly for a cheesteak.

Cheese whiz is only used at the tourist places that have a big pile of cooked meat and sweated onions on the flat top waiting for the rush. They use it because they have a line of tourists and can’t take the time to have American cheese melt on the grill. Go to any local neighborhood place and they don’t use cheese whizz, and they don’t have a mountain of cooked steak. Your cheesteak is cooked to order.

Serve on a roll. Put ketchup on it if you like. A lot of people do. Especially kids.

My wife and I both eat ours with fried onion ketchup and tomato.

If you guys like fried onions put them on the grill and let them sweat a little before putting the steak on because the chipped steak cooks really quick when compared to the onions.

pmad 02-27-2020 07:09 AM

I just did some cheesesteaks HERE.
My cheese sauce recipe is in that thread.

Big George's BBQ 02-27-2020 11:19 AM

Salt pepper is good for seasoning When cooking the meat you want to cut/chop it up in little pieces I like my cheese melted on the steak Grilled onions mushrooms and peppers are great additions A lot of people use shaved rib eye

PaSmoker 02-27-2020 01:01 PM

Steak-Umms!!...Sweet memories of my youth!!...Now its shaved rib-eye on the Blackstone!....I echo the others, salt and pepper (lots of pepper!!) and cooper sharp for me too!....Fried onions, toasted roll....man, I'm getting hungry!

Shadowdog500 02-27-2020 05:47 PM

This thread helped me choose my lunch today. Cheesteak, coke, and a Tastykake tasty-klair!
Sorry no photos!

Shadowdog500 02-27-2020 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yoursangoma (Post 4276360)
So the daughter requested some philly cheese steaks (Super proud dad moment). Haven't made them before. Bought Steakumms cause that was the only option for me on short notice (hopefully this doesn't mean that they are going to suck no matter what). Do I put any seasonings on the meat/veggies? What's your best recipe? How do I make sure she asks for these again? Any and all suggestions are welcome.

TIA

How did she like the cheesteak?

CKYnick 02-27-2020 11:55 PM

Great choice, my go to is exactly like shadowdog stated. Mannn there is a relatively new place in philly, Angelo’s, and they are killing it. Fresh house made italian bread everyday, fresh shaved ribeye...and thats just the beginning :tongue:

Shadowdog500 02-28-2020 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CKYnick (Post 4276896)
Great choice, my go to is exactly like shadowdog stated. Mannn there is a relatively new place in philly, Angelo’s, and they are killing it. Fresh house made italian bread everyday, fresh shaved ribeye...and thats just the beginning :tongue:

What part of Philly is Angello’s at? I’ll give it a try.

I see you are in Delaware. Have you tried Romano’s in Essington? It’s been there forever and they make good cheesteaks. They also invented the Stromboli and make a cheesteak Stromboli that I hear is good.

Photos of Chesesteak Stromboli were lifted from the web.
https://i527.photobucket.com/albums/...psuua1ojqx.png

https://i527.photobucket.com/albums/...psqyfq9jdn.png

yoursangoma 02-28-2020 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowdog500 (Post 4276772)
How did she like the cheesteak?

Thursday turned out to be a really busy night, so it will be tonight instead. I'll let you know. She was bummed when she found out we were having pizza instead of cheese steaks.

Baychilla 02-28-2020 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowdog500 (Post 4276424)
Born and raised in philly and everyone I knew made steakumms in a pinch at home. Never really chopped steakuum up Like you would do with shaved ribeye. just put oil in the pan and put the meat on. Salt and pepper. When the bottom seems done flip it over and put cooper white American cheese on it and pull it off when it is done. Cooper white American melts perfectly for a cheesteak.

Cheese whiz is only used at the tourist places that have a big pile of cooked meat and sweated onions on the flat top waiting for the rush. They use it because they have a line of tourists and canít take the time to have American cheese melt on the grill. Go to any local neighborhood place and they donít use cheese whizz, and they donít have a mountain of cooked steak. Your cheesteak is cooked to order.

Serve on a roll. Put ketchup on it if you like. A lot of people do. Especially kids.

My wife and I both eat ours with fried onion ketchup and tomato.

If you guys like fried onions put them on the grill and let them sweat a little before putting the steak on because the chipped steak cooks really quick when compared to the onions.

My understanding was the Wiz was used as the original cheese as it allowed them to keep the grills kosher as the wiz was kept in its own thing on the flattop and wouldn't melt onto the flattop like a slice or shreds.

kwas68 02-28-2020 01:14 PM

I just hit the veggies with seasoned salt.



If I could make a late recommendation, Steak-Eze are a superior product to Steak-Ums. I get mine at Sam's.

Big George's BBQ 02-28-2020 01:25 PM

If you want a GREAT Philly Cheesesteak the BEST is Dalessandro's in East Falls on Henry Ave


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.