The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Propane or electric camp stove/hot plate? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158259)

cpw 04-09-2013 12:56 PM

Propane or electric camp stove/hot plate?

I was thinking about getting either a propane camp stove or an electric hot plate to use in comps for heating up sauce/cooking breakfast/etc.

Anyone have any advice or recommendations on either type?

RX2006JE 04-09-2013 01:05 PM

I use a coleman dual burner camp stove that runs off propane, i carry my propane tank with me because i use it as well with my weed burner to start my fires. the oly drawback that i have had with the stove is that it heats things really quickly and can start to cook sauces instead of just warming them. but i like the face that i don't have to rely on comp power. i have had a contest where the breaker kept tripping and that would have been a pain with an electric hot plate.

cpw 04-09-2013 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RX2006JE (Post 2441365)
I use a coleman dual burner camp stove that runs off propane, i carry my propane tank with me because i use it as well with my weed burner to start my fires. the oly drawback that i have had with the stove is that it heats things really quickly and can start to cook sauces instead of just warming them. but i like the face that i don't have to rely on comp power. i have had a contest where the breaker kept tripping and that would have been a pain with an electric hot plate.

That was my thought exactly. We have the propane tank already for the weed burner, and electricity can sometimes be a problem. Would I need to worry about the propane being burned inside a trailer (in the off chance I ever get one)?

Smoke&HoneyBBQ 04-09-2013 01:29 PM

I have a single burner propane that has a grill.

Works great for eggs in the morning, reheating sauces, or grilling a couple brats for a snack.

http://www.rei.com/product/820671/pr...piezo-ignition

I also carry my backpack stove too since it weighs nothing if I need a second burner.

Pole D 04-09-2013 01:49 PM

We just warm them up in our smoker.

JerryA 04-09-2013 02:12 PM

I use a small stove that uses butane cans. The stove was $12 and the cans I buy 4 for $4. Each can lasts about 4-5 competitions and doesn't take up much room on my prep table.

CBQ 04-09-2013 02:24 PM

Propane stove or butane burner. Even using an electric coffee maker at a comp can be a roll of the dice. Electric heating devices are big power hogs and you risk tripping your power, or (worse) other team's power as well.

bigabyte 04-09-2013 02:26 PM

A decent camp stove is very helfpul. It can get stuff to boiling temps in nothing flat. Perfect for situations where you find you have little time, which I have heard could happen to ONLY the MOST inexperienced people every once in a while at some comps.:heh:

cpw 04-09-2013 02:53 PM

I'm liking the looks of the butane burners...they are small and cheap!

Cast Iron Chef 04-09-2013 04:38 PM

I use a Camp Chef double burner http://www.campchef.com/stoves/two-b...ane-stove.html . Heats a pot of water in no time for handwash station and dishes. Heats sauces and can use for Friday night dinner. Also it is my chimney starter and extra table.

JD McGee 04-09-2013 06:58 PM

Microwave...:becky:

Crash 04-10-2013 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBQ (Post 2441468)
Propane stove or butane burner. Even using an electric coffee maker at a comp can be a roll of the dice. Electric heating devices are big power hogs and you risk tripping your power, or (worse) other team's power as well.

This is exactly what we use now. Super lightweight, easily transportable and heats up everything quickly.

Only drawback, the wind can blow out the flame if it's gusty.

cpw 04-10-2013 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryA (Post 2441449)
I use a small stove that uses butane cans. The stove was $12 and the cans I buy 4 for $4. Each can lasts about 4-5 competitions and doesn't take up much room on my prep table.

Where are you buying your cans of butane? I was checking around last night, and there seemed to be a bunch of talk of "hazardous material" shipping charges.

I looked at home depot, ace, walmart, etc, and they don't have the cans listed on their sites.

CBQ 04-10-2013 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpw (Post 2442425)
Where are you buying your cans of butane? I was checking around last night, and there seemed to be a bunch of talk of "hazardous material" shipping charges.

I looked at home depot, ace, walmart, etc, and they don't have the cans listed on their sites.

Restaurant Depot has them, and sometimes local "dollar stores" and hardware stores have them. A restaurant supply place will have them too.

cpw 04-10-2013 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBQ (Post 2442544)
Restaurant Depot has them, and sometimes local "dollar stores" and hardware stores have them. A restaurant supply place will have them too.

No Restaurant depot's around here, but there is a restaurant supply house. I'll check there.