• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Can't keep the temperature down on my weber!

riverking

Found some matches.
Reaction score
A few months ago, I cleaned my weber ots after it had accumulated lots of grease from drippings of slow cooked ribs. It was quite a workout, but I finally got the gunk out. Maybe I shouldn't have cleaned it because now when I slow cook, I have to keep the bottom vent all the way closed just to keep it at 250-275. Ideally, I like to cook at 225 for ribs. Could I have bent the vent blades while cleaning? Or will it cook cooler after a few more cooks? Thanks for any help.

:eek:YOU CLEANED YOUR WEBER:faint2: Man I wear that 18 yres of build up like a Badge of Honor :becky:They might be tweaked or just worn along the edge. They are cheap to replace. If I where you I would use this as an excuse to P/U a Performer then a week later miraculously discover the replacement parts for the OTS:biggrin1:

Sounds to me like your one-touch assembly is not seating properly. Did you disassemble it and clean the gunk out between it and the kettle bottom? If you did, you needed make sure it was bent back to the right shape to seal before you reassembled it.

Yeah, I was just concerned the buildup might cause rust somewhere. Lesson learned though. I'll look into new blades... Or a wsm...

Sounds to me like your one-touch assembly is not seating properly. Did you disassemble it and clean the gunk out berteen it and the kettle bottom? If you did, did you make sure it was bent back to the right shape to seal?

Yes, I disassembled it. I'm thinking all that scrubbing may have bent the blades, so I did my best to conform it back. Hopefully some more buildup in the bottom will help seal it better after a few more cooks.

Yeah, I was just concerned the buildup might cause rust somewhere. Lesson learned though. I'll look into new blades... Or a wsm...

LOL. You sound like a man who wants a new WSM. I can relate to that. But, short of that, you can buy new blades.

my webers are near prestin and i have no problem keeping the temps were i want. true i don't cook that low but its not the cleanliness that is the issue.
might wanna shut things down before you get to the temp you want. its easy to control on the way up but to lower the temp back down just takes a lot longer.

I'm assuming you put the blades back in the right order. If all else fails, replacement blades are like $12. Gunk seems to make the WSM seal better, but I've never had a problem after cleaning a kettle.

Just cook your ribs at a hotter temp. They'll be just as good, but they'll be done faster.

Thanks for all the help fellas, it looks like I won't be needing it to cook low and slow much more. my wife got me a smokey mountain cooker for christmas, and she won wife of the year. I will, however, be using my OTS for grilling burgers with all of this venison I have taking up space in the freezer.

I noticed that I also have a prob keeping my temps down cause too many coals are lit (I use the minion method in those cute little baskets Weber makes). So, I take out a few (relative term, depends on how bad you are overshooting) hot coals, close it up, and when you see your temps go down, start opening up the bottom vent.

Had to do this yesterday during my cook. The kettle wanted to sit at 260 instead of 225. I normally just let it ride where it wants, but I didn't want to screw up *that* cook.

I've seen blades that got pushed up over time by the buildup of gunk under them and then once you clean it out they don't want to seat right. pop em out and reshape them or just get a new set, they are rather cheap.

As said, if the blades are not bent out of shape, then for now, you'll have to:

Try using less fuel.

After a few or more nice greasy cooks, your kettle will reseal itself.
I NEVER scrub mine. Once in a great while I'll just scrape the real big stuff off, but I'll NEVER degrease it.

Back