The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Traditional NC Bar-B-Q (Lexington style) - Secrets from SirPorkalot HQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151525)

TBASS 01-15-2013 11:34 AM

All I can say is "perfect". Now I know what I am going to do for the Falcons game this weekend.

SirPorkaLot 01-15-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by conns79 (Post 2329576)
That looks fantastic. I'm very new to BBQ. I'm finishing my UDS this weekend. As far as a rub and sauce go, I think the simplicity of this makes it perfect for my first attempt, but two cuts of meat might be a little too much to take on. Going with one cut, which would be my best bet?

Either will make great pulled pork, but for your first, I would go with a pork butt.

willowrun 01-15-2013 11:42 AM

That looks tasty, just got put on the "to smoke list"! Thanks

basuraman 01-15-2013 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirPorkaLot (Post 2329467)
Thanks all!

As with everyone else I experiment with all different types of rubs and techniques, but when it comes to just making some bbq to eat and fill the freezer with future rations, I always go back to the techniques learned back home.

So you say there is some in the freezer..I will be down in a few hours to take that off your hands.

Gnaws on Pigs 01-15-2013 12:17 PM

Looks mighty fine! That's very similar to what I grew up on and still make. And yep, a lot of the old-timer Piedmont/western NC bbq cooks added a little bit of mustard to that same basic recipe you gave. It ain't just a SC thing. It's firmly entrenched in many of the NC regional styles, too. there isn't any "one official" NC bbq, but all NC regional styles are very similar in the end.

PaPaQ 01-15-2013 12:52 PM

Man that looks good! I have to give that a try.

lcbateman3 01-15-2013 01:03 PM

Yep there goes those western North Carolina guys claiming they know North Carolina BBQ. ;)

Looks great!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Terry The Toad 01-15-2013 01:15 PM

Thanks for the detailed post and pics! Nicely done. :thumb:

I normally get suspicious when someone pre-sauces the meat - but I have to say, yours looks awesome!

I think I'll put that on my to-do list. :-D

SirPorkaLot 01-15-2013 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gnaws on Pigs (Post 2329643)
Looks mighty fine! That's very similar to what I grew up on and still make. And yep, a lot of the old-timer Piedmont/western NC bbq cooks added a little bit of mustard to that same basic recipe you gave. It ain't just a SC thing. It's firmly entrenched in many of the NC regional styles, too. there isn't any "one official" NC bbq, but all NC regional styles are very similar in the end.

a "little bit" of mustard is one thing.

Them crazy folks south of you turn there darn sauce yellowish orange from the stuff. :wink:

However, I have to stand for what I believe is right..and mustard on bbq pork is just NOT right. :biggrin1:

landarc 01-15-2013 02:08 PM

but it is tasty

Gnaws on Pigs 01-15-2013 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirPorkaLot (Post 2329732)
a "little bit" of mustard is one thing.

Them crazy folks south of you turn there darn sauce yellowish orange from the stuff. :wink:

However, I have to stand for what I believe is right..and mustard on bbq pork is just NOT right. :biggrin1:

Yep, the SC sauce is way too mustardy to suit me. BBQ sauce shouldn't be yaller. :biggrin1:

Groundhog66 01-27-2013 11:14 AM

Great post John, this is how I plan to do my next pork cook.

juslearning 01-27-2013 12:29 PM

I am from western SC and put no sauce on mine. I also don't usually put it on a bun with slaw. If it goes on a bun, there will be DUKE"Smayonaise on it. But, I will definately try this. Is the slaw a sweet slaw?

Great tutorial by the way. Sammie looks awesome!!!!

I don't do the mustard sauce either.

BBQMaverick 01-27-2013 01:41 PM

Outstanding.

I like a good slaw on my pork or brisket with CWB as well.

landarc 01-27-2013 01:42 PM

I really think this is one of the best 'cooking pork' posts I have ever seen, anywhere.