The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Pulled Pork Question (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=169004)

Daddy-O 08-20-2013 05:57 AM

Pulled Pork Question

When you serve your pulled pork, do any of you ever sauce the pork in the pan after pulling it? (Mix sauce or something else with the meat before serving it)

Or do you just pull it, and let people add sauce to the sandwich if they choose.

I have a bunch of ppl coming over Saturday. I am smoking a few butts & pulling Friday (so I dont have to mess around with it on Sat.). My intention is to warm the pulled pork saturday before serving. I am ikind of concerned that the meat will be dry if I smoke it and pull it the day before.

Any advice would be appreciated.

5string 08-20-2013 06:00 AM

Most of the time I offer several sauces and just let people add however much they want.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke 08-20-2013 06:01 AM

I mix in less than a quarter of a cup. Just enough to add a hint without anyone being able to see it in there.

code3rrt 08-20-2013 06:10 AM

I'd wait til Saturday to pull it, doesn't take long and will help keep it moist. I don't know if you foil, but I know a lot of folks here will keep all the drippings from the foiling and add it back in after the pull.....delicious!

Let us know how it goes:-D.

KC

IamMadMan 08-20-2013 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daddy-O (Post 2594688)
When you serve your pulled pork, do any of you ever sauce the pork in the pan after pulling it? (Mix sauce or something else with the meat before serving it)

Or do you just pull it, and let people add sauce to the sandwich if they choose.

I do not sauce it, I let them add their owns sauce. I set out a couple different sauces to choose from.

Quote:

I have a bunch of ppl coming over Saturday. I am smoking a few butts & pulling Friday (so I dont have to mess around with it on Sat.). My intention is to warm the pulled pork saturday before serving. I am ikind of concerned that the meat will be dry if I smoke it and pull it the day before.

If you can vac-seal the pork, add a little apple juice before you seal, and re-heat by putting the bag in hot water. This way it doesn't over-cook and dry out when reheating..

PaPaQ 08-20-2013 06:20 AM

Quote:

just pull it, and let people add sauce to the sandwich if they choose.

Just like that.

NickTheGreat 08-20-2013 06:37 AM

It's easier for people to add sauce than to take it out!

Lake Dogs 08-20-2013 06:50 AM

Quote:

Like others said above, I provide multiple sauces, so we dont sauce the meat itself. Plus there are folks who can eat the meat but not the sauce...

If you're cooking Friday evening/night, I suggest wrapping them in foil and then wrapping them in towels, putting them in a warmer (cooler without any ice) overnight. The next morning they'll still be hot as **** and burning your fingers when you pull it.

Or, the bag sealed with some apple juice works (as described above). I suggest that you dont pull it Friday night; it will be dry. Mind you, worse things have happened in the scheme of life, but it'll be better if you pull it Saturday.

VeRTiGo91 08-20-2013 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickTheGreat (Post 2594725)
It's easier for people to add sauce than to take it out!

Agreed here also!

NeilH 08-20-2013 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeRTiGo91 (Post 2594758)
Agreed here also!

x3 on this one too.

El Ropo 08-20-2013 07:32 AM

I did something different with my last PP. I made some pork broth with a bunch of bones from "value pack assorted pork chop" bones, instead of the rendered juices, I mixed the broth in with the PP along with some Shack Attack sauce. It was really tasty and the moisture level was wonderful.

John Bowen 08-20-2013 07:36 AM

I wrap my pork butts on the final stage of the cook. When they are done I strain the fat and mix in a little bit on my red sauce (4-5 table spoons). I eye ball it but I try and end up with one cup of sauce thinned out. I pour that over the butt when I wrap it to rest (about 2 hours).

When I pull my pork I pour that sauce over the pulled parts so they don't dry out. I mainly do it to add mositure not for a flavor kick.

aawa 08-20-2013 07:52 AM

After i pull my pork I always put a little bit of dip or "finishing sauce" the dip i use is a eastern carolina dip;

apple cider vinegar
salt
turbinado sugar
crushed red pepper

I use just a little bit so you get the tang of the vinegar and it brings out the sweetness of the pork.

Then i serve it with a bunch of different sauces on the side. Most of my friends don't realize that I have added a dip to it already because I only put a little bit in once i pull.

Manana 08-20-2013 07:55 AM

I do not add sauce since everyone likes different kinds. I personally like my pp sandwich with a mix of vinegar based and sweet/spicy Memphis style and cole slaw on it.

jcpetro97 08-20-2013 10:59 AM

I usually don't sauce it, I let people add the sauce on their own. I have a number of family members who prefer my pulled pork without the sauce.

I have to cook for a picnic labor day weekend, ( friday night for a Saturday afternoon picnic), I may try the wrapping/cooler trick, and then pulling it on Saturday. Thanks for the suggestion!!

Bludawg 08-20-2013 11:05 AM

I mix back the de-fatted juices a little salt and a little "E NC PIG JUICE" to season it, Blues Hog TN Red clone, Sassy & Sweet mustard and Shack Attack on the side.

columbia1 08-20-2013 11:13 AM

we add the pan juices and just enough sauce to provide a little color, less than a half cup.