Pit Update pics

B

bbqpigskin

My pit is actually strting to look like a PIT! I just finished 3 of the four racks. I decided to go with four racks instead of just two and used mild steel rather than stainless. I know the stainless is easier, but tit just was not cost effective for me right now. The smoke stacks are beasts. They are made of 5 in tubular steel. I will hopefully be ready for the sand blaster within a couple of weeks!

Any comments or suggestions are welcome!

Attachments

• shelf.jpg
    shelf.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 289
  • stacks.jpg
    stacks.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 288
  • stacks2.jpg
    stacks2.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 287
Looks good! Why are you building it in a school hallway?

I dont remember metal shop letting us do stuff like that when i was in high school, i tell you these kids today are just to damn spoiled

Mista,

It's not a school hallway, it is our welding shop at the high school that I teach at. The lockers are for welding students.

Helped the neighbor kid bring his pit home from school. Awesome job he did except on the firebox vents. I can still kick myself for not coming up with $400 to buy it, and I never found out how good it cooked.

Is the school going to "donate" it to your driveway on completion :)

Sledneck said:
You weld the students! I couldnt resist

That's what I was thinking.

Anyway, the pit looks great. The stacks are sweet. Is it made out of "scrap" or do you have to buy the materials?

I wonder how you can figure just how much exhaust to have based on pit size ? Short of experience. Nice Pit keep us posted.

Great skills!
For those of us that can't even scratch our t**d cutters.....how long does it take for your students to complete the smoker?
Do you use pipe that might be used for fluid transfer or what?

First off, the pit is mine not the school's. I have just been using the shop to build it. The shop teacher is a great guy and I have one advanced student that has already been certified to help me out. Most of the materials I have purchased. We are fortunate and have a great industrial gas/Welding supply store in town. They can get anything I need. Some of it is scrap that I picked up here and there.

bbqpigskin said:
but tit just was not cost effective for me right now.

We've all been there...:twisted:

Really nice looking pit!

bbqpigskin said:
Mista,

It's not a school hallway, it is our welding shop at the high school that I teach at. The lockers are for welding students.

Hi Are you a Career and Tech teacher? What subject?
Ray

My degree is actually in English Ltierature. I taught English for 12 years and for the last three years I have taught Leadership and Work Experience. I have also coached Football for 21 years.

bbqpigskin said:
Mista,

How do you weld a student to a locker?:twisted:
Dave

Are the students participating in this project, or is it a "Government job"?
Nice work!

Back