The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Help with Son's Birthday Party Grub.... (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65728)

BobBrisket 07-23-2009 09:03 PM

Help with Son's Birthday Party Grub....

Well, next month my son turns the big 4. I've done brisket, chuckrolls, pulled pork for his other parties and in trying to figure out what to do for this year's party, I came up with a few more simpler ideas like bratwurst and hot dogs for the kids, and then I thought about doing some chuck rolls again............until, I thought, hey, why not some of my custom Sloppy Joes. Prep will be easier and allow me to spend time with my son and not tied up to a grill doing brats. My wife really liked the idea too. So Bacon Sloppy Joes it is. Can you guys help me figure out about how much ground beef I'll need if we are expecting about 19 men, 23 women, and 28 kids. Let's assume the guys will have at least two sammies. SHould I go with large or small buns? We will have chips and some kind of salad for sides. The party is at an aquatics center and we will be there for three hours, so I'm looking to go easy and simple. THanks in advance, Brothers and Sisters.

Bob

Norcoredneck 07-23-2009 09:15 PM

I'd go small buns. Too big is too heavy for plate and gets soggy. Adults can always eat another. I say make plenty, crock pot it, freeze what you don't use. Hard to beat dogs for kids. Less mess easy handling. Kids don't mind boiled dogs, Turkey fryer mod. I bet you throw a dog on a plate and mac and cheese and most kids see 5 star dinner.

BobBrisket 07-23-2009 09:26 PM

We were gonna do some boiled dogs too just in case the kids or even the adults would like one instead or with a sloppy joe. I was gonna do it beforehand, but never thought about freezing it. Heck, I could start a few days before and make it in batches. Thanks Pat.

landarc 07-23-2009 09:36 PM

I would vote for the smaller size bun as well, just a lot easier to eat. I usually figure 1/2 pound of meat per adult diner. Some will eat less, some more, I figure it balances out. I do try to have leftovers, as I figure that is always better. You might want some extra hot dog buns as well, as a sloppy dog is tasty stuff. Will there be cake? Cause you should serve a little less if there cake.

Desert Dweller 07-23-2009 10:08 PM

I agree, smaller size. Dogs on the grill, and b-cuz your kids are used to better eating, you may wanna bacon wrap the dogs...

Have a great party, whatever you do!

BobBrisket 07-23-2009 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landarc (Post 979986)
I would vote for the smaller size bun as well, just a lot easier to eat. I usually figure 1/2 pound of meat per adult diner. Some will eat less, some more, I figure it balances out. I do try to have leftovers, as I figure that is always better. You might want some extra hot dog buns as well, as a sloppy dog is tasty stuff. Will there be cake? Cause you should serve a little less if there cake.

Ooooo, a sloppy dog........now there's an idea! There will be cake......a Spiderman cake. My son already picked it out too. 1/2 # person sounds like a good estimate. Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desert Dweller (Post 980013)
I agree, smaller size. Dogs on the grill, and b-cuz your kids are used to better eating, you may wanna bacon wrap the dogs...

Have a great party, whatever you do!

I'm getting hungry already.........:lol: