The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   How do you decide When to fire up the grill ? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156744)

Happy Hapgood 03-21-2013 09:29 PM

How do you decide When to fire up the grill ?

I mean on a week night cooking for two or more. Does it depend on what your cooking? Would it be bad in the oven?

How do you decide on a daily bases?

Thanks for any and all input.

landarc 03-21-2013 09:39 PM

randomly. totally randomly. I sit here all day, then think, I want to cook something outside.

Carbon 03-21-2013 09:42 PM

Same here, pretty much random. I'll daydream at work thinking which cooker I'd like to play with that evening...

caseydog 03-21-2013 09:47 PM

Yeah, it is pretty random. I love to cook, but don't like to clean, so any chance I get, I fire up the grill. It tastes good, and cleanup is easy.

As warm weather returns, I will be using a grill or smoker three to five days a week. It will taper off as we hit triple-digits.

But, it is not planned, for the most part. I just keep the freezer full, or spot a hot sale on something, and go with the flow.

CD

Bludawg 03-21-2013 09:47 PM

Spur of the moment or when it is to hot to cook inside.

bigabyte 03-21-2013 09:49 PM

You mean there's another choice?:confused:

Smoothsmoke 03-21-2013 09:52 PM

Re: How do you decide When to fire up the grill ?

Better question. How do I decide when to cook inside?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

rcbaughn 03-21-2013 09:54 PM

I usually do it based on what I'm cooking. I'm feeling lazy I'll bang the meat veggies out under the broiler, or if it's a burger just do it in cast iron.

Really though, after using the Weber charcoal starter cubes last night it's changed my whole grilling/time allotment perspective. It is literally just as fast as waiting on the oven to hit 450 and isn't any harder than pressing the buttons to select the oven temp. For $3.99 for 24 cubes, it's almost free if you ask me and you ain't gotta fool with paper towel/newspaper/cooking oil and you get a solid light right off the bat, no fighting it. It ha literally made me think I may never use my Weber Gasser again, it's that easy.

The temp outside does a lot to whether I want to do it or not as well. Smoking is a different story, but grilling is affected a whole lot depending on if it's cold around my house. I'm really cold natured.

Clean-up is about 10 times faster too though and a lot less pans to deal with.

Hoss 03-21-2013 09:56 PM

"IF"I get home in time and am physically able,I grill.Everyday.Sunday is grill/smoke day from the get go,just so I have grilled/smoked food during the week.Just in case I get home too late or am not "up to it" during the week.:wink:

Carbon 03-21-2013 09:57 PM

My wife: "Ribs again?!"

Churrasqueiro Bob 03-21-2013 09:59 PM

I'll fire it up on any day that ends in a y.

cowgirl 03-21-2013 10:01 PM

It's a "time" thing for me. If I have time and no interruptions I'll cook outside.

bbqbull 03-21-2013 10:01 PM

My gasser gets fire up prolly 3 times a week in blizzard, white out and above 20 below conditions.
Pretty tough to fire up the BGE or Steel Keg with 40 mph winds like we had 2 days ago and keep temps stable.

HankB 03-21-2013 10:06 PM

I usually plan ahead. Sometimes I'll just pull a couple burgers out of the freezer and fire up the gasser for them. Anything more and I prefer to light charcoal. I made my first charcoal fired pizza last week and had to start the dough the previous day so it took planning. Lots of evenings it's just a nice salad. Lunch is often leftovers or a sandwich.

Outside conditions don't usually matter. Darkness is more an issue than cold.

flyingbassman5 03-21-2013 10:21 PM

I'm of the random variety as well. Though it mostly becomes an issue of having a food scratch that I can't itch unless smoke, fire, and meat is involved. Rain, shine, hot, cold, hurricane, volcano, etc etc...it doesn't matter. If I can light the charcoal, I'm gonna grill/smoke.

Every few days I have to grill or cook something in the cast iron to avoid mild withdraws and every few weeks I have to do a low and slow cook to avoid going psychotic. This BBQ thing really has become an addiction. :shock:

Joking around of course.....

Or am I.......................

Tony A 03-21-2013 10:53 PM

All depends on weather. If its nice out I will easily make myself lunch and dinner on the grill when my job lets me. But once the nice weather hits I want nothin but food from the grill. Q is my absolute favorite style /type of food could eat it all day everyday. Hell if I wouldn't get sick I would eat the lump charcoal lol

LittleHill Smoke 03-21-2013 11:19 PM

Random, seems like I've been Qing three to four times a week. With the warm weather coming, nothing beats drinking some beers and Qing.

CharredApron 03-21-2013 11:29 PM

At about 3 Am my mind starts to wander. What kind of concoction can I muster up today? Then I obsess for several hours over that. Then during the morning hour I have a certain clarity. Then, I know, what's cookin, fo dinna

Fo Sizzle My Nizzle 03-21-2013 11:52 PM

Unless we have really rough weather I'll fire up the wsm every weekend following my bi-weekly payday. Wifey already knows its coming. As far as grilling something on one of the redheads, its usually if we have excellent weeknight weather and I get off work early.

beercuer 03-22-2013 03:37 AM

Whenever I get the hankering for a specific food.

LMAJ 03-22-2013 05:22 AM

It's a time thing for me too - if I have the time to fire up the Egg and cook something then I do. Dinner around here is typically leftovers from my weekend cooks or sandwiches. Getting to the point in my life where I can't eat dinner too late...

smokinrack 03-22-2013 05:39 AM

Im kinda backwards cuz I travel for work in the spring and summer and only get to grill on weekends if Im home.

So I do most of my grilling during the winter and its 3 or 4 nights a week or untill the wife and kids get sick of it:roll:

Andrew 03-22-2013 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landarc (Post 2417460)
randomly. totally randomly. I sit here all day, then think, I want to cook something outside.

pretty much me too, i cook out 4-6 days out of 7, its like a normal day at my house.

Puckstopper 03-22-2013 09:18 AM

I always try and fire up the grill I ask the family what they want for dinner and then try and figure out how much of what they want can be grilled or smoked:mrgreen:

tnjimbob 03-22-2013 10:06 AM

I am in the random group too, but I do try to grill something on the weekend, usually enough for 3-4 lunches/dinners during the week.

Grilling on a weeknight is easy enough with just a little planning. Thaw out what you want in the fridge overnight right after you finish dinner the night before. Marinate/brine as necessary, usually when leaving for work. When you get home, start the grill, and season whatever you are cooking as appropriate and prep side dishes. Grill should be ready to go, then cook on grill, allow for rest time and finish sides, etc.

Big George's BBQ 03-22-2013 10:12 AM

During the week I use my gasser as I dont get home till late Weekends I use my egg as often as possible

aawa 03-22-2013 10:14 AM

Whenever the mood strikes me. Whenever I am off, I'll smoke something typically. If I work that day if I get int he mood to use the grill, I will. Doesn't matter what kind of weather we are having.

teej 03-22-2013 10:25 AM

Usually on the weekend or if the weather is nice and I get home in time through the week.

Yendor 03-22-2013 10:31 AM

All depends on the weather, like whether or not I can get to my grill. The pellet pooper is in the garage, but the rest of my stuff is in the shed. Yes, there is snow between the house and the shed and I ain't trudging out to it just yet. I think I have half a bag of Dragon's Breath Lump out there too that needs a good burning.

Otherwise it's 2-3 nights a week, it only takes 15-20 min for the coals to be ready. In my book that short wait is worth it.

lastmajordude 03-22-2013 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carbon (Post 2417484)
My wife: "Ribs again?!"

And her point??????:shocked:

deepsouth 03-22-2013 10:39 AM

i do so little cooking inside, if i want something to eat, it's pretty much cooked outside. if it's raining, i just throw up an umbrella over the grill.

---k--- 03-22-2013 10:41 AM

Chicken breast.

gtr 03-22-2013 10:47 AM

Besides breakfast, I don't really cook anything inside anymore - except lately when I've been trying jambalaya or when I make fried chicken (which isn't often at all). I usually cook a fair amount on the weekend and reheat leftovers throughout the week, and occasionally will grill after work.

Andrew 03-22-2013 11:46 AM

even when its 100 degrees outside, i get a tan, run the sprinklers and fire up the charcoal right as i get home, throw a few small sticks of pecan and grill whatever.

i have a stack of marinades i sort thru with the wife and go from there.

GMDGeek 03-22-2013 12:22 PM

Basically - if its my turn to cook - the grill/smoker gets fired up - about 4 days a week. ;)

thirtydaZe 03-22-2013 12:35 PM

if it's Meat for dinner, the grill is being lit. i know this when i wake up in the morning, then spend the day here deciding what it's going to be.

CharredApron 03-22-2013 12:49 PM

Just got back from the butcher and got a three rib pork loin, 2 hanger steaks, 2 racks Kurobuta ribs, now I can't decide which to have tonight. Doing smoked blackened Mahi on Saturday.

lastmajordude 03-22-2013 12:53 PM

One of the best things I ever did (besides joining this site) was to add a little extra to my garage when I built it. It's too small to be a "perfect" cooking area but 99% of the time I can cook there. Have my Jambo, weber, LP camp cookstove and small refrig. Music is piped through outside speakers....I'm a happy camper as we speak cause I know it's raining in the morrow but already been to the store and have the ribs and chuckie.....Hey, I'm grinning already thinking about it! So bout 12 central time....

MS2SB 03-22-2013 01:05 PM

Whenever inspiration strikes.

swinn 03-22-2013 01:05 PM

Other than maybe grilling some quick spiral cut hotdogs for chili dogs, the only thing I use my gasser for is to use the side burner for lighting a chimney of coals. In 5 or 10 minutes I can have hot coals ready to cook just about anything. I usually cook out 2 or 3 times a week rain or shine cold or hot. I am thinking about using the side burner more this summer for sides and 1 pot meals and using the stove inside less often.

smokainmuskoka 03-22-2013 01:18 PM

I work a 4 day week away from the family. When I'm home I want to take the kitchen duties on and give my wife a rest. I like to 'Que, so I pretty much fire up the UDS or the kettle 2 days of the 3 I'm normally home, but sometimes all 3 days.
I took last week off for my son's spring break and cooked something outdoors 4 out of 8 days home. It would have been more, but one day the weather was just to wretched to try and start the coals.

Ole Man Dan 03-22-2013 03:13 PM

I manage to grill outside or smoke, a couple of days a week.

Since I completed my patio cover, (Last year) I grill and smoke in the rain
and sometimes a little later at night too.
I didn't used to think of my patio as a 'Man Cave', but I spend much more time there now.
Even when I don't grill out, I spend more time at our Fire Pit, by the patio, than ever.

BobM 03-23-2013 04:07 AM

If the weather is good and I have the time.

chicagokp 03-23-2013 08:20 AM

I do a weekly menu plan. I check the weather and family activities to see where I can slot in outdoor cooking when I'm building the menu.

andrewdee123 03-23-2013 09:33 AM

When I wake up.

Lake Dogs 03-23-2013 09:39 AM

pretty much randomly. wife and I sitting 'round talkin' about what's for dinner and something grilled makes it to the top of the list...

Swamp Donkeyz BBQ 03-23-2013 09:43 AM

I set out each day to cook on my pit or grill. I go to work before my Wife has to get up and therefore get home way before she does. I usually am the cook in the evenings. She'll call and tell me she set something out to thaw, and my first question is "Do you want me to cook it on the pit?" Luckily she understands my addiction and she is an enabler. Her response is usually "That's fine." LOVE HER!