The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Dealing with illegal aliens per say (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135170)

HBMTN 06-06-2012 05:49 PM

Dealing with illegal aliens per say

How do you as a barbecue business handle when someone starts catering, selling road side concessions, advertising and facebooking all around and they are not legal at all? Do you just let them hang themselves or turn them in? How does the health dept look at you if you say something to them about your illegal competition? Do they look at you like a tattle tail or thankful for the info?

At first when the one I am in question about started up I did not pay much attention and thought heck he is probably just trying to feed babies like I am. But the more I thought about it and the more he is jumping out in public as my competition I feel like he is taking money away from my babies with the unfair advantage of not having all the equipment, licences and gov fees that I have to pay and he does not. I don't mind competition but the playing field should be leveled so that he has the expense other than just a cooker and a pop up tent.

What should I do?

Jeff Hughes 06-06-2012 05:56 PM

Are you sure he is not paying his fees and are you sure he is illegal?

Wayne 06-06-2012 06:03 PM

This is a complex matter. The only advise I could give you and feel 100% sure of is to fix better food than your illegal competition. Anything else and I truly believe that you should seek advise from legal counsel that knows how to safely proceed. You do not want to do anything that can leave you open to adverse legal action.

landarc 06-06-2012 06:05 PM

You can just call them up (health department) and ask if he has paid his fees and passed his inspections. It is all public record and there is no issues with doing that. If he has not, they won't fall over to thank you, but, they will check him out.

I had a friend who got a contract to enter in all of the restaurant data from inspections into the computers at County Health, said she wanted to throw up after the first day. The head inspector laughed and told her that to his knowledge, they had never received a request for proof of inspection from a customer or the public. He thought it was odd, since that is why they are there.

HBMTN 06-06-2012 06:13 PM

I am sure is is not legal. I don't want to be the bad guy and turn him in. But I do feel he should have to have what I was required to have to be legal. In other words I could sell barbecue much cheaper with a cooker and pop up than I can with a certified trailer, business license, insurance, gov fees etc.

It would be like a NASCAR Race and one driver getting a 30 lap head start. I don't mind it he does good so long as he does not have an unfair advantage. I am inclined to let him hang himself and stay out of it but I just wondered how others handle it.

Pyle's BBQ 06-06-2012 07:15 PM

I would go and asking for an inspection record first. You don't have to give your name or business when you do that.

The other question is, are you implying that your competitor is an illegal alien or what they are doing is illegal?

deepsouth 06-06-2012 07:19 PM

"papers please?"

tortaboy 06-06-2012 08:18 PM

You could email the city about a business likely operating without a license in addition to calling the HD.

HBMTN 06-06-2012 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyle's BBQ (Post 2083573)
I would go and asking for an inspection record first. You don't have to give your name or business when you do that.

The other question is, are you implying that your competitor is an illegal alien or what they are doing is illegal?

No just illegal food sales, just sounded like a good heading. If they were illegal aliens selling Q I would be screaming at the health dept.

PCDoctor_1979 06-06-2012 08:57 PM

Try this site...
http://www.healthspace.com/Clients/VDH/VDH_Website.nsf

It has a list of all the restaurant inspections on file for the state of Virginia.

Hdhillin 06-08-2012 08:03 PM

I just want to add my two cents worth. If the guy is an illegal alien, call the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement office. There should be an office somewhere in Virginia. I am not saying they will run out and check, but that is your duty as an American. You pay taxes, and you also have all the required documentation for your business. I would not feel bad at all. The illegal aliens in the U.S. have broken our banks/back. The problem lies is that no one does anything about it other than complain to friends, not authorities. But with all the political gander about Immigration issues it is somewhat unlikely that they will run out and arrest him. PM me I can fill you in more not in a public forum. Sorry to rant here, this just gets under my skin. I feel for you. See this is a prime exmple where the American is doing everything right and above the law, yet he is being held back. Just not right in my book. I deal with this daily.

MilitantSquatter 06-08-2012 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hdhillin (Post 2086233)
I just want to add my two cents worth. If the guy is an illegal alien, call the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement office. There should be an office somewhere in Virginia. I am not saying they will run out and check, but that is your duty as an American. You pay taxes, and you also have all the required documentation for your business. I would not feel bad at all. The illegal aliens in the U.S. have broken our banks/back. The problem lies is that no one does anything about it other than complain to friends, not authorities. But with all the political gander about Immigration issues it is somewhat unlikely that they will run out and arrest him. PM me I can fill you in more not in a public forum. Sorry to rant here, this just gets under my skin. I feel for you. See this is a prime exmple where the American is doing everything right and above the law, yet he is being held back. Just not right in my book. I deal with this daily.

FYI... the original poster noted above that the competition just doesn't have legality from a vending perspective, not coutry of origin.

Hdhillin 06-08-2012 08:12 PM

OOPS. Sorry about that....

jacksedona 06-11-2012 08:23 PM

call the health department to see if he is registered. everyone is entitled to make a living but if they have an unfair advantage over you that's not fair.
if i pay taxes they should have to-but you need to check with health department to see if he has proper licenses to compete otherwise its like letting them put you out of business with lower costs no fees etc

http://thebarbecuemaster.net