The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Spareribs...first timer (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153710)

pal251 02-12-2013 01:58 PM

Spareribs...first timer

I just threw some spareribs on the UDS for the first time. I have done some research and it appears more people trim them rather than not. I chose not to trim them. I had a hard time trying to get the membrane off of them. I got about half off.

Ive always cooked beef ribs in the past and it was fairly easy to get the membrane off.

Only thing I seasoned them with is KC Rib Doctor. I want to try Simply Marvelous apple rub at some point it looks good.

Threw some Hickory, cherry and apple wood on it.

Forgot to mention I got it rolling at 220 right now. I will let it go for about an hour and it doesn't go up any more I am going to take a cap off and let it get some more air

jgarcia 02-12-2013 02:01 PM

If getting a good grip is your problem, I find that using a paper towel to grab the membrane helps when pulling them off.

landarc 02-12-2013 02:02 PM

Trimmed is easier to get just right, but, untrimmed is mighty good as well. Best of luck on the cook. Lots of folks leave the membrane on.

pal251 02-12-2013 02:07 PM

Ya I tried the paper towel ans it usually works on the beef ribs but not today

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Carbon 02-12-2013 02:08 PM

On occasion I'll leave the membrane on and just score it criss-cross wise with a knife, especially when I'm able to sear the slab at the end of the cook, when using a kettle, for instance.

hamiltont 02-12-2013 02:10 PM

I'll trim them for "show" if we're sharing them with others. I still cook the rib tips & save them for myself for a later meal, or baked beans. If it's just me & ma I'll pull the membrane & call it good. Cheers!!!

BobM 02-12-2013 03:07 PM

I trim them and save the trimmings.
Rib tips are a great cook all on their own! :mrgreen:

mcdanman 02-12-2013 03:16 PM

I read somewhere else on this site that the rib membrane comes off easier when it is still cold

Bludawg 02-12-2013 03:20 PM

I don't fark with the membrane anymore IMO it makes for a juicer rib and it mostly cooks away. I never used to pull it then I drank some funky kool aide and started to do Strange unfamiliar things to my cooks. (I still think is was an Alien abduction) I started to cook colder like 225... I put all kinda of ridiculous seasonings on.... and oh the sweet sauces I was 'outa Control. One day about 2 yrs ago I dropped a bottle slipped and hit my head now I cook Hotter use mostly salt & pepper and Sauce is scarcely found.Maybe it wasn't Aliens....

lastmajordude 02-12-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgarcia (Post 2365089)
If getting a good grip is your problem, I find that using a paper towel to grab the membrane helps when pulling them off.

To me a cheap pair of small needle nose pliers work better than anything...slide under skin, grab and pull....JMHO

pal251 02-12-2013 04:49 PM

Temp reached 275 to 295. I wrapped the rack with foil after a little after two hours.

I didn't have any apple juice so I put some pineapple juice and brown sugar on the ribs under the wrap. I'm gonna put it on for about an hour with foil then put it back on.

I saw a 2-1-10 method of putting it on grill with glaze for ten minutes

pal251 02-12-2013 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I like Bigbutts (Post 2365273)
To me a cheap pair of small needle nose pliers work better than anything...slide under skin, grab and pull....JMHO

That's a good idea.

pal251 02-12-2013 05:23 PM

I don't care if I get mushy ribs or not but i would like to try something a bit more firm.

Whats the easiest way to tell if they are "done" besides the bend test?

Danny B 02-12-2013 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pal251 (Post 2365307)
I don't care if I get mushy ribs or not but i would like to try something a bit more firm.

Whats the easiest way to tell if they are "done" besides the bend test?

Take a toothpick and probe between the bones. When it goes in with litlle resistance they are ready. Lately I have been probing them with my thermapen to check temp. Good luck. I bet they will be great.

pal251 02-12-2013 05:44 PM

What's a good temp for my thermapen?