The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   thinking about a small, horizontal offset (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152909)

ButtBurner 02-02-2013 06:23 AM

thinking about a small, horizontal offset

Hey gang

I would like try my hand at a offset. I dont know why lol

I dont need anything big. And I do have a small budget for this, I have 3 other smokers as it is. I have modded Bradly (boring) and 2 WSM clones. I might end up selling the Bradley at some point.

While at Lowes looking for other stuff I saw they have a Ok Joe that seems to be built pretty hefty. Its $400, a little more than I want to spend but can live with that. $300 is more in my price range.

The only thing is its too big. Its just the wife and me (we are empty nesters) and only entertain once in a while. I think it would be a waste to do 1 slab of ribs on a cooker this size

All I need is the space to do a few slabs of ribs or 2 butts max with this unit. Usually I just do 1 slab or one butt at a time

So what I am looking for is a small cooker of decent quality that wont set me back too much. I have been looking at used but all I have found is junk, I am in no hurry with this so I can just keep looking

any ideas on a cooker like this?

thanks

MaximumJEFF 02-02-2013 06:42 AM

I'd go Akorn. Not an offset. But, i think it would fit your needs better

ButtBurner 02-02-2013 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaximumJEFF (Post 2351309)
I'd go Akorn. Not an offset. But, i think it would fit your needs better

why is that?

MaximumJEFF 02-02-2013 06:48 AM

They're about 18.5 diameter. So, enough for a couple buts or slabs of ribs. They're insulated so they don't use much fuel and you can really crank the heat. That adds versatility to your "fleet". They make great pizzas. And, they're about $300

ButtBurner 02-02-2013 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaximumJEFF (Post 2351315)
They're about 18.5 diameter. So, enough for a couple buts or slabs of ribs. They're insulated so they don't use much fuel and you can really crank the heat. That adds versatility to your "fleet". They make great pizzas. And, they're about $300

thats what my WSM clones are for.

I can do pizza on my Weber kettle

Ron_L 02-02-2013 06:53 AM

$300-400 isn't much for an offset. The OK Joe is probably your best bet for a new smoker in that range. If you're not in a hurry watch Craig's List for a while and you might find a deal on a used one that is better quality.

pbj 02-02-2013 06:55 AM

Check this out. http://www.huntingdoncocustoms.com/hccmiofrefls.html

MaximumJEFF 02-02-2013 06:56 AM

Then you're good to go. No new pit needed

IamMadMan 02-02-2013 06:57 AM

Unfortunately an offset for that price is not going to be of great quality. This is made by charbroil and I believe they are made in China now. I would surmise that the emphasis on quality has been lost, but that's my personal opinion.

Most well built offsets will be larger and will probably use reverse-flow in an effort to keep the cooking chamber more evenly heated and a more uniform application of smoke.

Check Craig's List for used offsets, that way you will not feel disappointed because of what you spent on a cheap offset. However some of these can be modified to perform very well if you have the time and ability to do the work on the smoker.

Bottom line is search and look at what a good horizontal smoker is priced at, then compare it to the Charbroil OK Joe. You will see that you get what you pay for.

Try building a UDS if the budget and you space is limited. Surprisingly enough these produce some great BBQ food items.

ButtBurner 02-02-2013 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaximumJEFF (Post 2351325)
Then you're good to go. No new pit needed

You dont understand

I want something different, something that requires a little more effort. What I have is pretty much "set and forget"

thanks

ButtBurner 02-02-2013 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbj (Post 2351322)

$399???

thats gotta be a mistake

N2Q 02-02-2013 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ButtBurner (Post 2351331)
$399???

thats gotta be a mistake

Read closer

pbj 02-02-2013 07:51 AM

Look at the pictures. It is sitting on a patio table. The gas tank is one of those coleman camp stove bottles. The smoking chamber is 6"x13"

ButtBurner 02-02-2013 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbj (Post 2351351)
Look at the pictures. It is sitting on a patio table. The gas tank is one of those coleman camp stove bottles. The smoking chamber is 6"x13"

oh I see now.. LOL kinda neat really

ButtBurner 02-02-2013 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IamMadMan (Post 2351327)
Unfortunately an offset for that price is not going to be of great quality. This is made by charbroil and I believe they are made in China now. I would surmise that the emphasis on quality has been lost, but that's my personal opinion.

Most well built offsets will be larger and will probably use reverse-flow in an effort to keep the cooking chamber more evenly heated and a more uniform application of smoke.

Check Craig's List for used offsets, that way you will not feel disappointed because of what you spent on a cheap offset. However some of these can be modified to perform very well if you have the time and ability to do the work on the smoker.

Bottom line is search and look at what a good horizontal smoker is priced at, then compare it to the Charbroil OK Joe. You will see that you get what you pay for.

Try building a UDS if the budget and you space is limited. Surprisingly enough these produce some great BBQ food items.

actually just because its made in China doesnt mean anything anymore. Some Weber stuff is made in China. My 2 WSM clones are made in China, they are very nice cookers.

I did not look real close at the OK, just because its too big for me

I think the best thing is just to stay away from the grill dept when I visit Lowes LOL

I will just keep an eye on CL and see if anything pops up.

I was wondering if anyone knew of anything that I was not aware of

thanks