The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Illinois BBQ Society (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128308)

SCSmoke 03-15-2012 08:31 AM

Illinois BBQ Society

I have noticed that their website with hasn't been updated in quite a while so I went to their facebook page and this was posted about an hour ago.

"BBQ Season is upon us! That's the good. The 'other' news is that due to career and family life, I simply do not have the time needed to continue operating the Illinois BBQ Society. If you know of anyone interested in taking over the organization, please have them contact me. :)"

I wish I could step up but I have a 3 month old baby and don't have the time either. If someone else has more time I will help you when I can.

crehr 03-15-2012 12:23 PM

I told him I would do it. Waiting on response.

Scottie 03-15-2012 03:14 PM

Nothing has ever come of it. It was more of a name than anything. Not like other state associations.

rweller 03-15-2012 08:49 PM

Scottie, what would need to be done to make it a top notch BBQ association. I would help out if we could get some guidelines on how it should be ran.
I know KCBS(Carolyn Wells) gave him a lot of greif when he started it. It was like he was competing against them and that wasn't his intentions at all.
You can PM or email ([email protected]) if you like with your thoughts on what it would take to make it top notch. I would be willing to contact some of the other states and see how they run theres.

Thanks
Ralph

Slamdunkpro 03-25-2012 08:36 PM

I might be able to point you in the right direction. Shoot me a PM with your contact info.

sfisch 03-26-2012 12:12 PM

I am on the BOD for the Great Lakes BBQ Assn (GLBBQA). When we organized a few years back it was our intention to include anyone from a state that borders the Great Lakes. Recently we have been discussing on how to increase our membership and become more effective, perhaps we could "team-up" our associations. There are several teams from Michigan who travel to surrounding states for contests and vice versa.

You can reach me at my glbbqa email at: [email protected]
Thanks
Scott

Brew-B-Q 03-27-2012 08:32 AM

I would like to help on this as well. Let me know if anyone gets the ball rolling so I can contribute.

Scottie 03-27-2012 09:53 AM

It would be nice. I think it just takes a few committed folks to really get the ball rolling. You have to unite the state, which is the hardest this g to do. Have a presence at ALL Illinois BBQ contests, not just the hand picked ones. Get a team of the year program going. Winter banquet. I have always admired how Iowa does their society. They have fun and are still able to help others. If there is anything i can do, I'd do whatever. I can't do computers though... )

Rich Parker 03-27-2012 01:05 PM

I enjoy competing in Illinois and would definitely be a member.

Big George's BBQ 03-27-2012 02:15 PM

Mike AKA Slamdunkpro has done an awesome job with the Mid Atlantic BBQ Assoc

BruceB 03-27-2012 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottie (Post 1994072)
It would be nice. I think it just takes a few committed folks to really get the ball rolling. You have to unite the state, which is the hardest this g to do. Have a presence at ALL Illinois BBQ contests, not just the hand picked ones. Get a team of the year program going. Winter banquet. I have always admired how Iowa does their society. They have fun and are still able to help others. If there is anything i can do, I'd do whatever. I can't do computers though... )

I agree Scottie, the Great Lakes BBQ Association has instituted a Team of the year Program, we have an Annual Winter Banquet and an annual Membership Meeting. We have even been able to financially help some select charities. It does take committed individuals and it can be a challenge to unite all parts of a state, however, it can be done, it just takes time and effort.

Scottie 03-27-2012 08:26 PM

Honestly. I'd try and get some kind of joining forces. You guys are doing a great job and are growing the GLBBQA rolling. Proud member.

Spydermike72 03-28-2012 01:40 PM

We (The GLBBQA) would be more than happy to help with the Ill BBQ Society in what ever way we can... We are just a phone call/e-mail/txt message/Social Media/Brethren post away!!

Rich Parker 03-28-2012 06:03 PM

It would be nice to see some of the Illinois competitions be a part of the GLBBQA ToY program.

SCSmoke 03-28-2012 06:45 PM

I think combining the GLBBQA is a great idea.