smoking fish filets

F

franko

I know this is kinda wierd , but just call me wierd old Franko. Has anyone ever cold smoked fish filets for 30 minutes or so and then battering and frying them? Might be a good change of pace if they would absorb enough smoke in a short time period.

Yes I have, yes they do, and yes it is.
Also works dabombe on franks (lol geddit pun) smoked then wrapped in pastry and baked, for smokey dog rolls.

Jack - Been wondering about cold smoking franks (we call them weenies down here). I guess you could just throw them on the grill after smoking them. How long did you smoke those little dudes?

About 30 mins or so @ 225. Cooler probably wouldn't hurt them though, not really needing to cook them, just want to get smoke into them. Pushing them over the coals for a little char at the end won't hurt either. These are the hotdog franks I'm talking about, those li'l party frank things as big as a li'l finger wouldn't need as long as that.

I think cold smoking them would be ok. I read on a package they had sodiulm nitrite in them. A little smoke might improve the flavor somewhat.

I hear that spam (ouch - dreaded word) will absorb smoke well giving it an excellent flavor.

I hate to keep talking about weeners and spam, but you know the old saying: "Poor boys got poor ways"

Spam... oh you gotta find cowgirls spam recipe. Absolutely delicious. Unfortunately at almost 6 bucks a can, it ain't "poor boy" enough for this fella. Could be a good thing though, if I could afford to I'd eat it every day. :)

Jeannie - Thanks for that link. Those fantastic photos are great, but they would be better if they could be "scratch and sniff" pictures. lol.

Never have tried using hashbrown potatos for fish coating. Interesting idea. My favorite coating is to mix some buttermilk and eggs together and set aside. Then crush 1/3 package (sleeve) of ritz crackers, 1/3 sleeve of saltines, and mix with about a cup of Zateraines southern crispy fish fry mix. Imurse the filets in the egg mixture and roll them in the cracker meal mix and deep fry at 375 degrees until golden brown. Yum. I still want to try smoking the filets first before frying.

OMG, I gained 5 pounds just thinking about this.

Back