The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   BBQ Brethren Team Mentoring (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   *** Great Lakes BBQ & Feed Co - MI (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37022)

Ford 02-01-2008 06:07 AM

*** Great Lakes BBQ & Feed Co - MI

Team is made up of head cook - Ford Alison, chief bottle washer - Ford, night fire guy - Ford (I have FE's) , setup & cleanup - you guessed it. I always find a runner to help me at a contest as I have bad knees and just don't move fast enough. I have a 16’ enclosed trailer with hot and cold running water, 3 FE’s, fridge (in 2008), steel prep table. And if you bring an air mattress a dry truck bed with cap for sleeping.

I would be glad to mentor 1 or even 2 individuals this year. If you do one contest you'll learn a bit. If you do 4 or 5 you'll learn a lot more. Over the years I’ve mentored a number of people here in Michigan and some have teams of their own now.

What you contribute - help with setup, cleanup, runner, a spare set of hands when I'm cooking.

What I contribute - food (beef tenderloin breakfast), drink (within reason), 7 years of experience. I don’t hide anything from people that help me.

Schedule this year

May 2 or 9 - KC area (TBD)
May 22 - 24 GAB - invitational and open
June 13 - MT Vernon IL or Elk Grove IL (love Mt Vernon but 200+ miles farther to drive)
July 18 - Kettering OH
July 25 - Taste of Grand Rapids MI (defending champion)
Aug 15 - Mt. Morris MI
Sept 5 - Nashville IN
Sept 12 - Mears/Silver Lake MI

TBD - Royal, Jack or I'll do something else in October if I don't qualify.

You can email me at alisonf at ix dot Netcom dot com

Spydermike72 02-02-2008 05:49 AM

Not that Ford needs it, but I can tell you he is one of the most knowledgeable people I know when it comes to Comp Q. He is also a great guy!! I may take you up on your offer for one of the out of state comps Ford. Also if you ever need anything just let me know!!

Ford 02-02-2008 06:43 AM

I'll be talking with Deni from Lazy Bones Smokehouse over in Roseville MI about how much and when he wants to help this year. He emailed me within a few hours of my post.

Mike - you know you can always join me at a contest. Love to have the company and you probably have lots of hotel points to get your own room before the long drive home. :-D

Spydermike72 02-02-2008 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ford (Post 551313)

Mike - you know you can always join me at a contest. Love to have the company and you probably have lots of hotel points to get your own room before the long drive home. :-D

Truer words have never been spoken... but I get to stay home more now with the new position I got at the first of the year, so I am looking to do a few more comps this year!! :-D

Ford 02-04-2008 02:53 PM

I'm now planning to do Wamac IL on May 2-3 instead of the trip to KC.

Ford 02-14-2008 10:07 AM

I think isntead of Elk Grove/Mt Vernon I will do an unsanctioned contest in Ft Atkinson WI that weekend.

Ford 03-17-2008 08:57 PM

I'm adding Goshen IN on July 11-12.

michiana mark 03-18-2008 11:07 AM

What's going on in Goshen that weekend?

tonto1117 03-18-2008 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michiana mark (Post 591860)
What's going on in Goshen that weekend?

07/11/08
to
07/12/08 Great Goshen Grill Out Goshen, IN Contact: Nick Kieffer, 232 S. Main Street, Goshen, IN 46526.
Phone: 574-533-2102. Fax: 574-533-2103. [email protected]

Talked with the organizer yesterday. He said they are in the process of trying to get the governer's proclamation to make it a qualifier. Gave me this web address to check for updates as they progress.

http://www.greatgoshengrillout.com/

BTW...was wondering if you have any plans to make it to the the GLBBQA Thawout Cook Off in April??

michiana mark 03-18-2008 12:20 PM

Thanks tonto, I checked the KCBS site but didn't find any info. Looks like this weekend is a softball weekend. Daughter is in her last year of travel ball, then off to college.

Am trying to make arrangements to get to GLBBQA cookoff. May end up coming up sat to judge if I can't get off work on friday. I work second shift. Really want to try Bubba's brisket.

tonto1117 03-18-2008 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michiana mark (Post 591913)
Thanks tonto, I checked the KCBS site but didn't find any info. Looks like this weekend is a softball weekend. Daughter is in her last year of travel ball, then off to college.

Am trying to make arrangements to get to GLBBQA cookoff. May end up coming up sat to judge if I can't get off work on friday. I work second shift. Really want to try Bubba's brisket.

Sounds good Mark. Let me know about the judging so I can put you down on the list before we fill it up. Bubba's Brisket?? Don't know anything about that...

VGuilford 03-19-2008 07:08 PM

Ford if you need help with GAB just let me know. I was there last year. Had a lot of fun accept when the storms hit.

ThomEmery 03-19-2008 07:29 PM

I love this team name

Ford 03-19-2008 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VGuilford (Post 593024)
Ford if you need help with GAB just let me know. I was there last year. Had a lot of fun accept when the storms hit.

I'd love to have a runner on Saturday and Sunday. I have a tentative offer of a weekend helper from BBQBubba but he may be with Theresa & Walt at Westmount instead. I think I will need your phone again. Can you email me and we can talk about this.

Ford 03-19-2008 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomEmery (Post 593042)
I love this team name

When competing in the midwest (especially KC and MO) it's amazing how many people come up and ask what type of feed I sell. When I smile and say well Ribs and..... Should see their faces.