The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Backwoods Competitor (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=163641)

Pappy Q 06-18-2013 06:03 AM

Backwoods Competitor

For those of you using this smoker for competitions, do you always use a Guru? Curious as to how well the smoker works without one. Any input appreciated.

9Q1 06-18-2013 06:35 AM

Yes, I have both a Competitor and a Party. I do have a guru on the Competitor but have found that you really don't need it if you want to smoke around the 250 degree mark. It does depend on how much fuel you have in the fire (lump or brickettes) and how you manage the dampers. Personally, I don't like my Competitor and tend to cook more on the Party. Would gladly let it go for another model or something totally different --- but that's a different story.

Cuz 06-18-2013 06:36 AM

i have a backwoods "fatboy" and have not bought into that you have to use a guru, it is very easy in maintaining a constant temp in these cookers without it. i have found that once fire is going, i can leave just one side cracked app 1/2" for 225 degrees, or open to around 3/4-1" for 250 degrees,

Shiz-Nit 06-18-2013 07:12 AM

I have the BW compeditor and use it for comps and catering. She is rock solid on temps and yes I could get by without using a guru if needed and feel I could put out a winning product.
BUT I do use the guru just so I can feel a little more at ease and get a little more sleep at night. Since I compete mostly by myself with no help at all.

Jason TQ 06-18-2013 07:48 AM

I got my G2 Party and Chubby at the beginning of the year and got a great deal on a used cyberq 2 to control both of them. I didn't buy the backwoods attachments right away so I made sure to learn how to run the pits without the Cyberq.

The learning curve was short as the pits do run very well on their own so it could certainly be done at a competition. But I'm also all for controlling all the variables that I can. So I use the cyberq to help run the pits.

Dragline 06-18-2013 08:12 AM

Pappy, I have 2 Fatboys and I use the Guru to run both, having said that I learned by advise from a very good friend how to control the pits without; you never know when Murphy will show up. They are very easy to maintain temp no matter what that temp is that you are wanting to maintain, I used the Guru as stated above for an insurance of a constant temp for competition, but at home for family gatherings (for me) I found it more enjoyable to go old school. IMHO

Kave Dweller 06-18-2013 08:12 AM

I have a party, it runs fine without the guru as long as you "walk" it up to temp. If you feed it too much air and get it too fast too quick, it's not easy to get it back down. 250 does seem to be its sweet spot, pretty easy to cook at that temp.

billm 06-18-2013 08:46 AM

never used one on my Party. Once I extended the charcoal basket it burns all night and stays at a solid 250 or so. I just never saw the need

indianagriller 06-18-2013 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pappy Q (Post 2519924)
For those of you using this smoker for competitions, do you always use a Guru? Curious as to how well the smoker works without one. Any input appreciated.

Say it aint so Pappy...:tsk:

dhuffjr 06-18-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by indianagriller (Post 2520286)

He is going to the square side....I received similar comments when I added the Party to our Egg arsenal. :mrgreen:

Pappy Q 06-18-2013 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by indianagriller (Post 2520286)

Could be......sleep becomes more important when you're a senior citizen. We'll see.

indianagriller 06-18-2013 08:02 PM

Well I guess you do what you gotta do... But I call dibs on the enclosed if it goes up for sale. Lol

Lippy 06-19-2013 05:56 AM

There is this guy I know, I think he won the Jack with a Backwoods. I think he uses a guru. I just can't think of his name.

New Pal Frank 06-19-2013 05:57 AM

Come on over Pappy. we will be glad to have you in the family.

Big George's BBQ 06-19-2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lippy (Post 2521236)
There is this guy I know, I think he won the Jack with a Backwoods. I think he uses a guru. I just can't think of his name.

Name is Chris Hart team IQUE and he did it on a Fatboy Now he uses a Jambo
I am with a team that uses a Guru on the BW Competitor- works great