The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What do you place your meat in for brining? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151965)

Plaid Palace 01-20-2013 08:58 PM

What do you place your meat in for brining?

This isn't a topic about how to brine, or what brine to use but a topic of what do you put your meat in when you brine? And what not to place your meat in when you brine?

Before I used an aluminum bucket that would be use to hold champagne or beer on ice. Would this be ok to us for future brines?

JohnHB 01-20-2013 09:04 PM

I wouldn't use aluminium. For me stainless steel or appropriate plastic is better. You could place a big plastic bag in your aluminium bucket.
John

Plaid Palace 01-20-2013 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnHB (Post 2335685)
I wouldn't use aluminium. For me stainless steel or appropriate plastic is better. You could place a big plastic bag in your aluminium bucket.
John

thought someone might say this. what about placing it in a garbage bag into the aluminum bucket?

BTW, the bucket doesn't say it is aluminum I am just assuming since it was 10 bucks at Target.

colonel00 01-20-2013 09:08 PM

I have always heard to not use metal containers and I have just gone with that. I can't argue for or against it. I just trusted those that were saying it. Personally, If I am doing a big batch, I have a large 4 gallon plastic container with a lid I picked up from Restaurant Depot. I have also seen suitable things at Sam's. Some people will just use coolers that have been well cleaned and bleached. I have also seen people use smaller things like bus tubs or just large leftover storage containers.

MS2SB 01-20-2013 09:09 PM

I use a standard 5-gallon bucket. Or a small igloo cooler. Seems that a plastic bag inside of the bucket you currently use would work just fine.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

code3rrt 01-20-2013 09:09 PM

My cooks are mostly small enough that I just use zip lock bags, for the bigger stuff such as whole chickens I use a small ice chest(plastic).

Kenbo 01-20-2013 09:12 PM

I use my Igloo cooler, washed well before and after. I add the meat, pour in brine and fill with ice. Still plent of ice 24 hours later.

woodbutcher1 01-20-2013 09:49 PM

I use and have several different gallon size Food Grade buckets with lids.

SirBBQ 01-20-2013 09:52 PM

When doing turkeys I use a 5 gallon bucket...put in my brine...bag of ice and the turkeys...in November it can properly sit overnight here in KY without any issue...

SirBBQ 01-20-2013 09:53 PM

BTW: make sure you use food grade type containers/bags...a trash bag is not food grade most likely...

Bludawg 01-20-2013 11:44 PM

I use a ZIP bag for small stuff like chicken if I have allot or something big it's the Igloo cooler. If you have a spare fridge with room a Homer bucket is a good choice.

martyleach 01-20-2013 11:48 PM

I use a stainless bigggg stainless steel bowl or a turkey bag (plastic).

Militant83 01-20-2013 11:56 PM

Anything the meat will fit in.... Eventually i want to get various sizes of cambro food storage containers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sethga 01-21-2013 12:05 AM

^Cambro FTW.. I have a 2 gallon one. If I need to, I bust out food grade buckets from the homebrew collection..

gettinbasted 01-21-2013 12:10 AM

^^ cambro containers are the best

Phrasty 01-21-2013 12:19 AM

Rubbermaid plastic bins.

Don't use aluminum at all. I just stay away from metals on a whole. I have no trust in plastic bags either. If your meat has an exposed bone, it's bound to puncture it. I also find with that so much liquid in the bags even the toughest zip locks leak at the seams after a bit of handling and what not.

Cheers

thirdeye 01-21-2013 12:26 AM

I have white plastic 2 and 3 gallon buckets I got from the bakery and deli departments of the market. Things like frosting and potato salad come in them and they give you the lids too. I also have a stainless steel room service champagne bucket with a bail... I believe it's a Holiday Inn brand :mrgreen:, but I bought it at a garage sale.

If you want a metal bucket for their heat transfer properties, it's easy to tell if something is aluminum, so don't buy that. Coated steel will work, but stainless is better. Take a refrigerator magnet to the store with you as stainless is non-magnetic. If you have a farm store, try them... a lot of milk buckets and feed buckets are stainless.

I did see an ad in last months Bullsheet for this brining bucket. I like the locking insert which keeps your things submerged. It comes with a lid too. Very clever design.

MS2SB 01-21-2013 12:51 AM

I will also use a 12qt or 8qt stainless stock pot.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

HankB 01-21-2013 06:13 AM

For big birds or batches I use a five gallon plastic pail lined with the turkey size Reynolds oven bag. I know the bag is food safe and they seem to be pretty tough. The turkey size is a perfect fit for a five gallon pail.

Four eight pound chickens and two gallons of brine are pretty close to five gallons.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-i...83%2529-PP.jpg

wnkt 01-21-2013 08:22 AM

I dont do a lot of brining...but when I do I use 2.5 gallon ziplock bags. They are big enough for a full size turkey
at least the size I get...I never have seen anything over 20 pounds

bobaftt 01-21-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BamaMatt42 (Post 2335677)
This isn't a topic about how to brine, or what brine to use but a topic of what do you put your meat in when you brine? And what not to place your meat in when you brine?

Before I used an aluminum bucket that would be use to hold champagne or beer on ice. Would this be ok to us for future brines?

I go to the bakery at the grocery store and ask for a bucket that had icing in it. They usually have some smaller buckets that had colored icing in it (2 or 3 gallon) that I use for smaller things or 5 gallon that I use for larger things. You know the buckets are food safe and all you have to do is clean them out and htey are ready to go.

Mattmo 01-21-2013 12:04 PM

For last years turkey at Thanksgiving, I used a 5 gallon bucket, however ziplock makes HUGE bags.. They are called Ziplock big bags lol. I used the 10 gallon size. I don't remember how much they were, not much. I put the turkey and brine in the bag and then set it in the bucket. Set the bucket inside of a cooler and filled it full of ice. I put the bag in a bucket in a cooler just in case it leaked. For chickens etc, we have a big stainless cooking pot. Just wanted to throw the big bag out there in case you had never seen them for a liner....

fingerlickin' 01-21-2013 12:44 PM

http://s.kmart.com/is/image/Sears/00...sm=0.9,0.5,0,0

Smith's Pig Pen 01-21-2013 12:53 PM

^^ Several good points mentioned. I wouldn't use any metal or garbage bags. In a pinch the cooler thing works. We use the rubber maids or food grade 5 gall buckets depending

Hambone1950 01-21-2013 01:07 PM

My wife works in a commercial kitchen and she got me this one that hard boiled eggs came in....2gallons it is and most everything I want to brine has fit in it....it was free, too!!

[IMG]http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/...ps8ed629cc.jpg[/IMG]

chad 01-21-2013 02:45 PM

I have 3 and 5 gallon Cambro food buckets with lids. Also, 5 gal pickle or other food buckets would work. Non-reactive is the key - and that usually means stainless, plastic, or glass. Haven't seen many glass buckets!! :mrgreen: The flat/rectangular food service totes with lids would be great, too. Used to use them at the restaurant.

Amigatec 01-21-2013 02:47 PM

If its small like a whole chicken, I like to use an empty 3 lb plastic coffee can. It holds a chicken just fine.

dadsr4 01-21-2013 03:40 PM

Igloo beverage cooler.
http://cloudfront.zorotools.com/prod...5DDC0_AS01.JPG

frognot 01-21-2013 04:34 PM

Another fan of ice chest. Gotta have a good lid on it to keep them nosey dogs out.

mawil1013 01-21-2013 05:33 PM

I use the Igloo round orange cooler but you can also use a canning pot, the large multicolor gray pot. It's coated in glass but they call it enamel. It's powdered glass melted onto the metal.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

BobM 01-21-2013 07:46 PM

Small pieces of meat, a glass or plastic container.
Larger pieces, a stainless steel pot. I have a 5 gallon pot that a 20+ pound turkey fits in.

Vision 01-21-2013 07:51 PM

www.thebriner.com/

Derrick D 01-21-2013 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodbutcher1 (Post 2335755)
I use and have several different gallon size Food Grade buckets with lids.

Yup!

shirknwrk 01-21-2013 08:42 PM

Gallon size zip lock bags for whole chickens.

Forrestbro 01-21-2013 10:55 PM

Depending on the size or amount of meat I'll use:
1) One gallon or two gallon ziplock freezer bags.
2) Five gallon plastic bucket.
3) Ice chest cooler.

TheJackal 01-21-2013 11:09 PM

plastic bag. My favorite is the Hefty 2.5 gallon bags. I can only find them at BJ's. They can fit butts and briskets no prob. I've never needed a bucket but would use a home depot 5 gal bucket if necessary. Some guy came around at a comp with a special brining bucket that he invented that had a screw down lid to keep meats submerged. It was like $20. I threw the card away. HD bucket wins if I need it.

IamMadMan 01-21-2013 11:41 PM

Anytime using salt or an acid based solution, you should always use a NON_REACTIVE container. This would include Aluminum and cast iron.

Stainless, Glass, and Food Safe Plastic are fine.

I use Stainless Steam Table Pans Full or Half with a food liner for small cooks, or meat lugs with liners for larger cooks. The food safe liners make clean-up a breeze. They stack easy and can be stored easy as well.

Half Size panshttp://www.therdstore.com/mm5/graphi...1/SPJL-206.jpg

Pan Linershttp://www.webstaurantstore.com/1-2-...ner-200-cs.jpg

Meat Lugs http://www.sausagemaker.com/ProductImages/31307th.jpgand Linershttp://www.sausagemaker.com/images/p...b/31321_th.jpg

larryrs 01-22-2013 03:30 AM

I finally broke down and purchased a true turkey briner last year. Great design with a locking plate that keeps your meat down low in the brine.

NickTheGreat 01-22-2013 07:40 AM

I use gallon zip locks, but thats because I don't have much else that'd fit in the fridge. But we are replacing the fridge and the old one becomes MY fridge. So I plan on using food grade 5 gallon buckets, and maybe a smaller one.

NickyG 01-22-2013 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vision (Post 2337075)

Has anyone tried this one? I always see it in the Bullsheet, looks like a good design. Wondering how the quality of it is.

rocketmanray 01-22-2013 08:14 AM

Plastic buckets.... an old pickle bucket.... and I don't know how many times I've used it, brined, washed and sat back on the shelf. When I take the lid off of it and sniff, it still smells like pickles!!!

RMR

Tack 01-22-2013 08:52 AM

I have personally seen The Briner and had it in my hands. It is a quality product. The best feature of the design is the lid that holds the meat well under the surface of the brine with out using any type of weight. I plan on purchasing one soon. I know Tom Bera from Philly Blind Pig uses one and is pleased with it.

Southstar Jeff 01-22-2013 08:55 AM

I was at Firehouse subs for the first time the other day and saw they sell 5 gallon pickle buckets for $2.

dadsr4 01-22-2013 09:57 AM

The biggest difference between the coolers and a food-safe bucket is if your storage space is small. Most people need a cooler more often they need a bucket that has to be reserved for food use only. I get pickle buckets for free, but someone always seems to grab them for some other use. Also, the dogs love to steal the bucket lids if they are not stored high.

SPRfree 01-22-2013 12:36 PM

5 gallon igloo drink cooler.

nycbbq 01-22-2013 06:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Brute.