Competition: Spares or Baby Backs??

T

topchefvt52

I'd appreciate feed back from teams or judges as to the following:

Which do you prefer to turn in as a team, or eat as a judge...baby backs or St. Louis Spares?

Reason I asked...I've used a Cookshack 150 for several years, mainly for baby backs on my restaurant menu. I just took delivery of a FEC 100 and introduced St Louis Spares on my menu. The spares I cooked today were great but thin end cooked up faster vs the thicker end. The baby backs were pretty consistent on the Cookshack 150 and I'd assume them to be the same on the FE pellet smoker.

Bottom line, I'm trying to find a happy middle ground for restaurant use while at the same time trying to get a feeling for what the judges prefer at competitions.

Thoughts? Thanks

Spares. More meat & better flavor.

Baby Backs are used by some top competitors . I think as long as you find really nice meaty ribs it doesn't matter whether they are backs or spares

Ohhhhh, a FEC 100 cooking ribs less than an hour from me right here in Vermont! PM Sent.:mrgreen:

FWIW, we've got top 4 calls with both Spares and BB.

Never a 1st though. :roll:

Ohhhhh, a FEC 100 cooking ribs less than an hour from me right here in Vermont! PM Sent.:mrgreen:

Jim I got your PM and sent ya one back.

A buddy of mine who competes at Harpoon every year sells BBQ, Thurs - Sun at the Mobil station right off I 89 in Randolph. He uses a rotisserie stick burner and cranks out some tasty Que.

Hope to see you down at The P&P after the holiday weekend...PM explains.

Danielle is correct when she says many top teams use babybacks, however our scores went up (and after 4 years, we finally won a rib class in 2009) when we switched over to cooking St. Louis spares.

Which do you prefer to turn in as a team, or eat as a judge...baby backs or St. Louis Spares? ..... Bottom line, I'm trying to find a happy middle ground for restaurant use while at the same time trying to get a feeling for what the judges prefer at competitions.
Thoughts? Thanks

You have two different 'bottom lines'. In competition, a lot of teams use heavily trimmed St Louis style spares, but they are not looking to sell or make a profit. They can affor to discard the end ribs and only need 6 good ribs. In your restaurant business, you can't afford to throw away a third of the rib. That said, loin back (baby back) ribs are more consistent across the rib. However, I know a lot of good Que joints that use St Louis ribs which is what I prefer.

In competition, we usually use spares.

We've won with both. Unless you're competing in an area where one is heavily favored, judges can still appreciate a perfectly-done rib of either variety.

I personally prefer spares. It's easier to get qualtiy spares than loin ribs for us, and cheaper.

we cook St. Louis spares, have fared well those as a rookie team.

Dana

Baby Backs are used by some top competitors . I think as long as you find really nice meaty ribs it doesn't matter whether they are backs or spares

I agree also. We have won using both.

I cook St Louis spares. When I've judged (ARK, LA, MS, TN) I've seen probably 90% spares to 10% baby backs.

We have used baby backs but are going to try spares this year.

Be Safe

THE DAWG

I say go with what you do best. We go with stl. cut spares.

Back