The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   50-50 Burger Failure (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=165343)

SmokeWatcher 07-08-2013 06:01 AM

50-50 Burger Failure

I tried making a 50-50 burger this weekend. A 50-50 burger is made with 50% ground beef and 50% ground bacon. Should be a no-brainer!

I froze and ground the bacon with no issues and mixed it with the ground beef to make 1/3 lb patties. I then set the patties in the fridge until I was ready to grill. Because the patties were so sticky with fat I placed them on the grill straight from the fridge and grilled them about 7-8 minutes per side. The burgers still turned out pretty pink (even though I probed them at 160+...damn thing anyways) and they had absolutely NO BACON FLAVOR!

Would pan frying them help me keep all that bacony goodness by allowing it to cook in the fat instead? :confused:

JazzyBadger 07-08-2013 06:30 AM

Never done bacon and beef burgers. Only mixed different kinds of beef together. Might have to give this a whirl someday.

zahiratom 07-08-2013 06:37 AM

Have you tried to fry the bacon first and then mixt it with the beef?. I guess in that way you can grill the burguer to rare/medium rare and keep the bacon explosion in your mouth...

ajstrider 07-08-2013 07:35 AM

When I do bacon burgers I just chop up raw bacon and mix it into the ground chuck before I form the burgers. No grinding, just chopped up pieces.

Gilstarr 07-09-2013 12:36 PM

I think the lack of flavor may have been over kill with the bacon. I was told once that much of a good thing wasn't always good especially with food .. prehaps a per-cooking the bacon would improve the flavor.. Now I'm going to have to experiment myself.. Good luck..

DownHomeQue 07-09-2013 12:48 PM

i like crispy bacon on top.. guess i am old school lol

CharredApron 07-09-2013 12:50 PM

Too much work for me, try this bacon weave. 4 strips bacon cut in half, weave on a sheet of aluminum foil and then fold it tight and flat in the aluminium. Grill with the burgers than toss into a pan with onions and crisp the weave up!

http://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/...psb3e33aca.jpg

Perfect burger size topping

checkrd past 07-09-2013 01:01 PM

There is a burger chain in So. Cal called Slaters 50/50 that makes that burger of beef and bacon , had one and I don t get it , to me not a combo that works together but thats just me

uncblue 07-09-2013 01:05 PM

When I'm able to get a crazy good deal on round steak or other lean beef, I usually grind 5 lbs of that & grind with a 1lb of bacon so that I get an 80/20...

I dont think a 50/50 would have a great texture to it...but i do love some bacon...

4uweque 07-09-2013 01:27 PM

I tried this the same way as the OP, I wasn't impressed either. Never tried it again.

landarc 07-09-2013 01:44 PM

If you ground the bacon, then the cured meat is throughout the entire patty, it will stay pink no matter how long you cook it. Less is more here, cut back to about 15% bacon and the flavor of the patty will be improved. If you want bacon flavor, you are better off using whole strips.

Steve Z 07-09-2013 02:50 PM

I don't go 50/50, but I grind a couple strips of bacon per pound of buffalo meat. The Buffalo meat is too lean, so the bacon adds some fat to help keep it together. Any more bacon than that and it gets too salty for my taste.

john_aero 07-09-2013 03:06 PM

i have done similar, 50 venison and 50 pork mince (or bacon is usa i think)

never get a bacon flavour but what it does is keeps main meant moist and tended. plus all that fat helps get the flame effect on outer layer and crisp it right up

when i do want bacon flavour i get diced bacon bits , fry them up and then mix in to meat right before i cook them.

few people have mentioned this may not be 100% food safe due to mixing raw and cooked meats, so i stopped doing it that way

gsmith 07-09-2013 03:20 PM

I do a 70% venison and 30% bacon mix that tastes great when grilled or fried

Toney Marconi 07-09-2013 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4uweque (Post 2545062)
I tried this the same way as the OP, I wasn't impressed either. Never tried it again.

I tried it also and was less than impressed. Too bad cause it sounded like such a good idea.