The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Guru replacement probes (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96236)

Don Jeansonne 11-28-2010 12:59 PM

Guru replacement probes

Has anyone found a less expensive probe for a Guru other than going back to Guru? Is the supplied probe a normal K-type thermocouple?

rustnbbq 07-31-2013 07:02 PM

Well, I searched and this is all I could find. Anyone know??

NorthernMN 07-31-2013 09:47 PM

Is the quality of the guru thermocouples not worth the price???

Temprel will make just about any combination of thermocouple you want but there price is going to be the same as guru. I know from experience with this company they are high quality thermocouples and the probes can with stand the heat but usually the bbq kills the wire not the thermocouple.

NorthernMN 07-31-2013 09:50 PM

If you measure the voltage on the wires you can figure out what type the thermocouple is.

rustnbbq 08-01-2013 07:31 AM

They are thermocouples, right?

NOT thermistors, which varies resistance with temp, not volts out, correct?

John Bowen 08-01-2013 09:28 AM

We looked at making our own probes and we did not see a cost or a quality benefit. We had a guy on the team who liked doing things like that but when it came down to game day I feel better using guru products.

NorthernMN 08-01-2013 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rustnbbq (Post 2573022)
They are thermocouples, right?

NOT thermistors, which varies resistance with temp, not volts out, correct?

Not sure which they are since I dont have my guru yet but here is an explanation of both. You can measure the voltage on the temp probe to figure out which it uses.

Jump to: navigation, search

A thermistor is a type of resistor whose resistance varies significantly with temperature, more so than in standard resistors.

A thermocouple consists of two dissimilar conductors in contact, which produce a voltage when heated

rustnbbq 08-05-2013 09:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A friend overheated his probe and it fell apart. This was the pit probe.

It is a type T thermocouple judging by the color of the wires as per thermocouple standard. A T thermocouple uses copper and constantan wire. The one wire sure looks like copper.

It appears the wires are teflon insulation which is good for 500 deg F. Lesson is to remove the pit probe when cooking at high temperatures.

T thermocouples, like virtually all thermocouples, can be purchased with higher temps in mind. Fiberglass insulation for the wires is available. Another idea is to remove the alligator clip from the pit probe and insert the probe into the hole for the analog thermometer, thus keeping the insulated wires outside of the pit.

mawenzi 01-10-2015 03:00 PM

BBQ Guru probe *cables* are poor quality. Mine burned out in the first use despite being 2 feet from the coals.

IamMadMan 01-10-2015 04:26 PM

I've used my Guru probes for over 2 years now and have never had a problem. I have almost 750 cooks with it and they look like the day i bought them except for the smoke discoloration on the braid.

Big George's BBQ 01-10-2015 09:22 PM

I have always found Guru Products to be high quality I have not had problems with their cables or probes

grantw 01-10-2015 10:45 PM

I ordered spare probes when I bought my guru and have never needed em, top notch stuff just look after them