The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   smoking fish (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173467)

kpq 10-18-2013 05:50 PM

smoking fish

I've had a number of people ask me to smoke some for them. but will it make smoker smell like fish when i'm done? or would i have to reseason my smoker to get fishy smell out of it?

ATLSean 10-18-2013 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpq (Post 2663103)
I've had a number of people ask me to smoke some for them. but will it make smoker smell like fish when i'm done? or would i have to reseason my smoker to get fishy smell out of it?

I have the exact same concern! My wife is a fish and poultry only type (more pig for me!), and she keeps asking me to do the same. I've been avoiding it for the fear of never getting that smell/flavor out. Please advise!

SmittyJonz 10-18-2013 07:51 PM

Just buy a Fish specific smoker........ Problem solved :mrgreen:

bbqbull 10-18-2013 09:38 PM

I have smoked a lot of fish in my electric Cookshack smoker and never had a problem with an aftertaste or smell.

IamMadMan 10-18-2013 10:44 PM

I smoked bluefish and stripers in a smoker about 10 years ago. Even with a powerwash, I could not remove the strong smell of fish, and when I fired it up, the smell intensified.

I had to buy another smoker for meat and use that smoker only for fish.

Oil from the fish will leave a strong odor in your cooker.
Will it affect other things you cook? I don't know and did not want to find out, but the smell was terrible.

I would suggest to get a cheap smoker to use for fish only. When you smoke fish it is not usually in large quantities so a small smoker like a "Big Chief" or something similar would work fine as a cold smoker or as a hot smoker.

Maybe it has to do with the type of fish you smoke.

cholloway 10-18-2013 10:54 PM

Fresh fish shouldn't have any odor.

cowgirl 10-18-2013 10:56 PM

I've not had a problem with fish in any of my smokers.

Smoke Dawg 10-18-2013 11:01 PM

Only bad fish stinks

rehless 10-18-2013 11:05 PM

Smoke salmon all the time in one of mine, also meat loaf, chicken, turkey. Never a problem with any after fish.

oifmarine2003 10-19-2013 06:16 AM

I smoke salmon in my wood smokehouse and it never had any kind of fish smell afterwards.

daninnewjersey 10-19-2013 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IamMadMan (Post 2663363)
Maybe it has to do with the type of fish you smoke.

Down here at exit 36 I smoke bluefish and striper quite often. After a quick burn with my weed burner, the cooking grate has no smell at all....and there isn't any in my drum. Maybe you're cooking the fish too hot thereby having the oils splatter all over? Just a thought...

IamMadMan 10-19-2013 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daninnewjersey (Post 2663496)
Down here at exit 36 I smoke bluefish and striper quite often. After a quick burn with my weed burner, the cooking grate has no smell at all....and there isn't any in my drum. Maybe you're cooking the fish too hot thereby having the oils splatter all over? Just a thought...

Thanks, I'll try the weed burner...

scp 10-19-2013 09:04 AM

After smoking Salmon...I will get a little residual smell from my smoker...never noticed any flavor carry over...and by the next cook smell is gone.

Gore 10-19-2013 09:41 AM

I smoke salmon about twice per month and grill about once per week and the only time I've ever noticed a smell is when I haven't scraped the grates. After the pits heat up, I've never noticed anything, and more importantly, my wife has never noticed anything.

NeilH 10-19-2013 10:19 AM

Any oily fish like bluefish is gonna leave a smell whether fresh or not. Think that's bad, try mullet.