Fatty failure, help appreciated

schlickenmeyer

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So I tried my first fatty, went the bacon explosion route.
Thanks to Cowgirl for the weave info on her site, did the diagonal and even with thin cheap bacon it worked well.

My problem is when the internal hit 170 and I pulled it, it looked ok but the bacon wrap did not really get cooked.

What did I do wrong?

Thanks!

What temperature did you have your smoker at? If you want to crisp the bacon weave, you might want to smoke the fatty at a higher temperature.

Also when cooking the bacon explosion, it really doesnt matter if you go over the 170 internal temparture. What really matters is the bacon weave cooking till finished.

If the internal is 170*F, you can crisp the bacon up on a grill or over the hot coals. What temp were you cooking at? That will have a lot to do with how crispy your bacon gets.

I would bump the temp up to 300*F at the end next time. That will crisp you bacon up.

You can also reverse sear a fatty. Do the same as you did, but when it hits 155-160, toss it onto a blazing fire to crisp up the bacon real quick.

I'd personally shoot for a cooking temp of 275-300 for a faster cook and better bacon texture.

I agree with aawa, Bryan and El Ropo... up the temperature. Fatties don't benefit from low and slow cooking like a brisket or pork butt. IMO

Glad to hear you tried the weave!! ...and thanks for stopping by my blog, I appreciate it! :grin:

Last edited:
You can crisp that bacon anyway you can imagine. In a frying pan, in an oven, broiler, grill, or by doing higher heats. I realize that sometimes you are smoking other things in the smoker that you do not want to run a higher heat. So just crisp up that bacon at the end on another device if you are not going to smoke it at 300 or better.

i smoke my fatties on my kettle indirect at about 300. crisps the bacon nicely by the time internal temp is 165-170......

just smoke the fatty at a higher temp next time :)

I did the bacon explosion when it burst onto the scene a few years ago. It looked better than it tasted. I wasn't impressed.

Back