• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Butts- Fresh or Frozen?

djqualls

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I've been satisified the last few comps with my Pork entries. I have noticed the last couple of weeks that the selection of Fresh Big 9lb+ Butts with a full width Money Muscle are getting harder to find.

I have been hesitant to buy more than two because I didn't want to freeze. My Question is two fold.

Does it hurt the taste/tenderness of butts to use a frozen Butt?

Do you compete with frozen or fresh Butts?

As A side note, I ask the same question for ribs as well.

Thanks!

Adam Perry Lang says that freezing hurts pork, makes it a bit mushy.
I have found that to be the case with butts, but not with ribs. Ribs seem to do fine with freezing.

Brett

I don't have a problem using frozen brisket if I need to, but I prefer all of my pork products fresh. As fresh as possible.

I've been satisified the last few comps with my Pork entries. I have noticed the last couple of weeks that the selection of Fresh Big 9lb+ Butts with a full width Money Muscle are getting harder to find.

I have been hesitant to buy more than two because I didn't want to freeze. My Question is two fold.

Does it hurt the taste/tenderness of butts to use a frozen Butt?

Do you compete with frozen or fresh Butts?

As A side note, I ask the same question for ribs as well.

Thanks!

I like fresh. If you have to freeze pork try to defrost slowly in the fridge.

In a pinch I will freeze. I have to dobthat on some of my week lo g trips. I've won with frozen, I just like fresh better. Like Chris said, defrost slowly in the fridge.

I have done particularly well in pork at a couple of comps where they were still frozen when I put them on the pit. Took a couple hours just to get the probe in it. But in general i haven't noticed a difference in mine from fresh to frozen.

I have done particularly well in pork at a couple of comps where they were still frozen when I put them on the pit. Took a couple hours just to get the probe in it. But in general i haven't noticed a difference in mine from fresh to frozen.

:mmph: :caked:

Back