Some pics from the Dublin Contest

Alan in Ga

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
My wife and I judged this contest yesterday it was the season opener for the GBA. I am going to judge one more then throw my hat in the cookin ring for the rest of the season.

www.57smokehouse.blogspot.com/

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the pics of the contest. Its amazing how you see people doing this and get the itch to compete yourself. Remember to have fun that is the most important part!

2nd to last pic has a Land and UDS. Brethren?

I still can't figure out where (or if) the GBA fits into the picture in our state. So far as I can tell, it's primarly populated by the South Georgia "Memphis" cooks when there there is no MBN contest that weekend.

Maybe you can clue me in. Why was a need felt for creating the GBA? What niche does it fill that isn't covered by KCBS, MBN or FBA?

I still can't figure out where (or if) the GBA fits into the picture in our state. So far as I can tell, it's primarly populated by the South Georgia "Memphis" cooks when there there is no MBN contest that weekend.

Maybe you can clue me in. Why was a need felt for creating the GBA? What niche does it fill that isn't covered by KCBS, MBN or FBA?

Dont know why they created it, but they got 40+ teams to show up in Dublin this past weekend. Not a bad turn out. I like cooking the GBA style. I like the cheaper meat bill than a KCBS or FBA and I like the finals style judging. I also like the all pork aspect of it.

We are an up and coming sanctioning group in our 3rd year look at us as the new kids on the block. We had 42 teams for the season opener and we are very proud of our group of teams and judges. Remember we all had to start somewhere and we are young. There was also a contest in Macon this weekend(I have no idea who sanctioned) and they had a good turn out also. GBA is a growing force in the southeast and would not surprise me to see it go out of state like FBA. I see MBN and KCBS judges on a regular basis at our contest.

We are an up and coming sanctioning group in our 3rd year look at us as the new kids on the block. We had 42 teams for the season opener and we are very proud of our group of teams and judges. Remember we all had to start somewhere and we are young. There was also a contest in Macon this weekend(I have no idea who sanctioned) and they had a good turn out also. GBA is a growing force in the southeast and would not surprise me to see it go out of state like FBA. I see MBN and KCBS judges on a regular basis at our contest.

How is Dublin the start of the season when the Team of the year goes back to September? Dublin was just the first contest of 2010, right? There have already been 4 contests this season, right?

Dont know why they created it, but they got 40+ teams to show up in Dublin this past weekend. Not a bad turn out. I like cooking the GBA style. I like the cheaper meat bill than a KCBS or FBA and I like the finals style judging. I also like the all pork aspect of it.

OK, but if you want to cook all pork with MBN style judging, why not just have an MBN contest? I guess I don't see where GBA fills a need not already met by existing sanctioning bodies. The only unique factor I can see they offer is a pork loin category, and that's a grilling meat, not barbecue. (Of course you could argue that so are chicken thighs).

OK, I'll meet you halfway on that point - GBA blind box isn't exactly the same as MBN or KCBS. As I understand it, they've dropped the onsite presentation but kept the two tier judging system. Though it's not clear from the GBA website whether a second round of turnin boxes are prepared or if the original box is re-judged. And no garnish allowed, so that differs from KCBS too.

I guess I'm going to have to attend one of these to see it for myself. Finding a GBA event in the northern part of the state isn't easy though.

GBA, for fledgling, is doing fairly well. Honestly, no matter how you slice n dice it,
the tiebreakers in ANY sanctioning body just suck (they're random, one type or
another). I rather like the 2nd turn in because it gives them a chance to truly rank
them.

Yeah, the pork loin piece is a tad strange. I personally would've preferred brisket,
but what the heck. I think this came mostly from Lonnie, who happens to do
pork VERY VERY well. That, and brisket ain't from 'round here... :)

Alan, we may see you guys at the GBA contest at GON in Macon. We missed last
year; were RGC 2 years back. That one, on the black asphalt, is hotter'n blue hades.
This year will be more a matter of money. We'll have just hosted our 4th of July
party and have the Lake Oconee KCBS cookoff and probably the Milledgeville cookoff
in October. We'll see if we can't slide/fit this one in.

Yes Thomasville will be my last judging event and the Hazlehurst comp will be my first and I am looking foreward to getting to the cooking side. I loved judging and the people who are judges but I got into this BBQ business to cook. I will admit I already have a good case of the nerves and it 2 months away but itnwill be fun as it will be a family venture for us. Alan

OK, I'll meet you halfway on that point - GBA blind box isn't exactly the same as MBN or KCBS. As I understand it, they've dropped the onsite presentation but kept the two tier judging system. Though it's not clear from the GBA website whether a second round of turnin boxes are prepared or if the original box is re-judged. And no garnish allowed, so that differs from KCBS too.

I guess I'm going to have to attend one of these to see it for myself. Finding a GBA event in the northern part of the state isn't easy though.

Chickamauga, GA is probably as close as you are going to get for a while. I was a little confused by it at first, but after cooking one I liked it..doing well helps, but overall I liked the finals thing where you find out a little early you did well. and the second turn in box was easy enough. to manage. I wish they would standardize the finals turn in instead of telling you at the cook's meeting, but I imagine it has something to do with the number of teams and how quickly they can get it turned around.

Back