The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Weather forecast sucks, and I love it. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175739)

16Adams 11-21-2013 10:34 AM

Weather forecast sucks, and I love it.

70 no wind heading to 40+mph with snow sleet and Ice. So a friend was in town and dropped me off a rub from Halletsville Tx. I put on my best shorts and tshirt and head out and buy three racks of baby back ribs. Fire up the pit barrel cooker with Trader Joes all natural briquettes and one chunk pecan and one chunk hickory. Both about the size of a lemon. Ribs are hanging, cold front haas arrived early, temperature is dropping and ribs should be ready about 2pm. Let it snow.

peeps 11-21-2013 10:40 AM

I'm not excited about this weather as I'm headed to the Chicago area in a few hours! :( Brrrrr!!!!!

16Adams 11-21-2013 10:46 AM

I'll think positive for you

Old Style Beer
Vienna dogs

That's pretty much it. Oh--mandatory sack of sliders :-))

peeps 11-21-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 16Adams (Post 2702010)

Old Style Beer
Vienna dogs

lol...only definite plan is Giordano's as we get back into civilization on Monday. Will be a couple hours west of Chicago for most of the duration.

ssv3 11-21-2013 01:35 PM

Looking good! How do you like the TJ briquettes? I'm yet to try them and having been mostly using Stubbs in the PBC. How do they compare if you used Stubbs.

16Adams 11-21-2013 02:28 PM

I really like the TJ bricks. It emits a consistent mild coffee/pleasant pipe tobacco (sweet nutty) aroma. Burn time is excellent. I'm kind of a charcoal nut. I enjoy experimenting with all of the natural bricks and most lumps.

ssv3 11-21-2013 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 16Adams (Post 2702325)
I really like the TJ bricks. It emits a consistent mild coffee/pleasant pipe tobacco (sweet nutty) aroma. Burn time is excellent. I'm kind of a charcoal nut. I enjoy experimenting with all of the natural bricks and most lumps.

Sweet! Thanks. I'll pick up a bag. Funny enough I'm on the same boat as you when it comes to lump and natural briqs.

16Adams 11-21-2013 04:17 PM

And that's a wrap

Another successful rib cook. Thanks for looking.

Amen

dport7 11-21-2013 06:20 PM

perfect finish. I loved runnin my smoker in the cold Il. winter storms, rainin, snowin,
sleetin, didn't matter.

Fwismoker 11-21-2013 06:26 PM

Looks good! I cheat and just pull my mini on the porch. No weather would stop me if i wanted Q enough though. Our real bad weather though is 9-12 + inches of snow and well below zero temps.

16Adams 11-21-2013 06:38 PM

Temp is 30. Wind is howling. PBC still glowing red in the coal basket. Been running since 0930. It's now 1830. Pretty amazing how long it will run on one load of coals.

Nasty weather is Q-ing weather for sure. I don't do lightening. All other extremes just make the food tastier.

BBQDaddio 11-21-2013 06:42 PM

man o man that looks mighty tasty.

I really like TJ's charcoal briquettes. Nevered tried stumps but you are right 16adams about the coffee smell when lit.

Well I didnt really know much about smoking with lump or natual briquettes a few months back when I bought almost 800 pounds of KBB. When I do get the sweet blue smoke with KBB and put my hand over the exhaust vent and smell my hands afterwards, its nothing compared to TJ's briquettes. I did manage to give a few bags of kbb to father in law and my brother as birthday gifts :twisted:. But they are happy as they only grill so I feel better knowing that they dont really give a rats bottom how it smells. :-D

ssv3 11-21-2013 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQDaddio (Post 2702609)
man o man that looks mighty tasty.

I really like TJ's charcoal briquettes. Nevered tried stumps but you are right 16adams about the coffee smell when lit.

Well I didnt really know much about smoking with lump or natual briquettes a few months back when I bought almost 800 pounds of KBB. When I do get the sweet blue smoke with KBB and put my hand over the exhaust vent and smell my hands afterwards, its nothing compared to TJ's briquettes. I did manage to give a few bags of kbb to father in law and my brother as birthday gifts :twisted:. But they are happy as they only grill so I feel better knowing that they dont really give a rats bottom how it smells. :-D

Thank Daddio. I bought a bag of Kingsford Comp briqs just once and didn't like it at all compared to Stubbs. Kingsford Comp claimed to be all natural and that's the reason I tried it and came to find out they still use Borax. I can imagine the blue bag.:shock: I mainly use lump except in the PBC.

MasteringTheFlame 11-21-2013 07:26 PM

Those are some great looking ribs!

nastynotch347 11-21-2013 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 16Adams (Post 2702010)

Old Style Beer
Vienna dogs

Pass the Vienna's for a Chicago red hot!