Flavor Profiles

ggriffi

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
One of the things that I have seen mentioned here a few times, but never reallly discussed in detail is the subject of "flavor profiles". Is it as simple as say using matching rubs/sauce, or if you make your own rubs and sauces what is that you are looking for? So, for myself and anyone else out who doesn't quite understand what you all mean by this will you shed some light on this?

Seems a while back someone did a long cook comparing lots of rubs. Tried to find it but not quite shure what to search. maybe someone can recall the thread.

The term flavor profile seems to be a trendy term that basically describes the characteristics (ex. salty, sweet) within a specific combination of ingredients and how they work or don't work together.

To me a flavor profile is a combination of the individual flavor characteristics that define or influence the taste of something. I'm not sure if "matching flavors" is what I always shoot for, sometimes I think it's more like "complementary flavors", or a "balance of flavors".

A good example would be a flavor profile for a steak. I like salt, pepper and granulated garlic. They don't really match, but if balanced correctly they compliment each other and the steak. On a scale of 1 to 5, lets call this flavor profile a 3. Taking this same flavor profile one step further..... Sea salt, a blend of white pepper, black pepper & cayenne along with granulated garlic would, in my eyes, improve the flavor impact and change the profile to a 4.

So, back to your question. The first step in a rub is to balance the salt and sugar. I probably would have some pepper on the sidelines ready to use as an accent flavoring when the time is right. If the rub is a poultry rub, I might select and work with complimentary flavors from herbs or spices that I like with chicken (maybe onion, celery seed, thyme or sage). So I would call that matching and balancing. Lastly I would work in some pepper. To improve the flavor impact and tickle the profile, I may choose some lemon pepper instead of just black pepper.

That's a huge and wide open question....BIG BIG BIG. My only suggestion is to read the responses and do the "Search" link and figure out what you like. Lots of good recipes out there from the brethren, figure out what you and you family like the best. EXPERIMENT!!! This forum gives you enough diversity to think about how many different ways to cook. All have to be good. Good luck and keep us posted!

To improve the flavor impact and tickle the profile, I may choose some lemon pepper instead of just black pepper.

Careful using too much lemon pepper as most commercial lemon pepper has a lot of salt in it...you may overpower the salt flavor.

Seems a while back someone did a long cook comparing lots of rubs. Tried to find it but not quite shure what to search. maybe someone can recall the thread.

That would be Chris Baker (aka bigabyte) the Mad Scientist of BBQ.

There is a thread in the Roadmap on Burning Rub Experiment, but check this link which contains that thread plus a few others by Chris, doing in depth flavor comparison (love the chicken thread)

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/search.php?searchid=398938

I try and flavor profile everything I BBQ to the be parred with WHISKEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That way, if it doesn't match the flavor of the food, I'll at least be so drunk it won't matter anyway!!!!
Now I know that might not be much help, but you have to remember, I am an idiot!!!!!
PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill,

Copied them and they are printing out now, should make some interesting reading.

Back