The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Long-Term Durability of a Stumps Smoker (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174113)

Fattyboombattybbq 10-28-2013 04:50 PM

Long-Term Durability of a Stumps Smoker

So I'm thinking of investing in a Stumps (XL Baby) and wanted to get some advice on the long-term durability of the smoker (I live in the North East so likely to be covered in snow (plan to buy a cover)).

For $2.5k, I'm hoping its a lifetime investment (a stick burner like a Lang would seem to be), but some of the competition photos I've seen make them look a little beat up after a while.

Anyone who has been a long time owner and could chime in, I would be very grateful. My wife is likely only to allow me to make this investment once, so I want to make sure I get it right.

Many thanks.
Fatty!

eddieh70301 10-28-2013 05:19 PM

I have a stumps baby that's about 3-4 years old. Can't remember the year I bought it. It stays in the garage all year so the exterior is in great shape. On average, I use it 3-4 times a month.
There is a section right above the fire box that lost paint-not sure if it is from heat or something else. I need to paint that portion to avoid any issues down the road.
Interior has held up well with just signs of normal use.
I did have a grease fire in it about a month ago and it charred the interior. Once it cooled, I scrapped it good and re-seasoned it.
The racks in the baby are way too close together. The top rack is useless unless you are smoking bacon or something thin. I basically have to use every other rack to allow space. A butt barely fits between rack 2 & 3. Maybe they spaced out the racks in the XL. Might want to check the dims between the racks.
I also do not like the design of the drip rack. It serves the intended purpose but I would rather have a removable pan that I can empty after every cook. The grease does drain into the pan under the smoker but the bottom of the smoker is a mess from dripping grease. I now use a disposable pan placed on the drip rack to keep the bottom clean and grease free.
Just a few things to think about before purchasing.
The stumps is a great cooker but from what I've heard there are other makers out there who offer more bang for your buck.

LI Pig Congress 10-28-2013 05:41 PM

Take a look at http://www.assassin-smokers.com. Lot more bang for ur buck, and much shoter wait times.

Mister Bob 10-28-2013 06:50 PM

I've had my Baby for three years in the northeast. It gets a lot of use and has lived outside the whole time. It's held up very well.

joemat 10-28-2013 07:38 PM

I was thinking the same.

When I compare Stumps to Backwoods (recognizing they are different smokers) of similar sizes, the Stumps out weighs backwoods considerably (way heavier). I probably hear of more Backwoods needing "reconditioning". Perhaps this is just inevitable. I look forward to hearing from the group on Stumps as I too am considering a new vertical.

Teleking 10-28-2013 07:49 PM

I really don't understand why people spend that kind of kackle on a cooker and electronics to run it.

SmittyJonz 10-28-2013 08:34 PM

Whatever You Get I'd keep it under a Covered Porch or in the Garage or Build a Smoking/BBQ Hut or something. :wink: Even my Cheapos stay under covered porch and in Garage.

Wornslick 10-28-2013 08:44 PM

Love my Baby! Had it for some time, mine does not have the now standard tie down hooks. There are 3 of us here so the size is right, I have cooked 3 pork butts at once so it can feed a crowd. Stays in the garage, I stopped using the grease pan, I just set a coffee can under the grease hole now. Take care of it and it will last a long time. :peace:

T-Man 10-28-2013 10:19 PM

Take a look at Spicewine , build quality is top notch . Med. smoker weight is 600 lbs .
Totally satisfied with the BBQ it puts out...

treytexag 10-29-2013 12:00 AM

How do you define "lifetime"? I bought an Assassin in March, and it is undoubtedly a finely crafted piece of bbq equipment, and with proper care, I do expect it to last many years. But it won't last a lifetime . . . certainly not without the periodic significant "turnaround" where all the "perishible" parts get refurbished with new. Anytime you're working with equipment exposed to fire and hot coals for many hours, they will require refurbing from time to time.

So perhaps with solid protection from the elements, and good cleaning and attention to maintenance, 12 to 18 years is reasonable to expect. But in this time, you may have to replace firebox pan, fire grate, gaskets, perhaps even a burned out fuel chute, fuel chute lid, etc. Some repainting in spots will be expected as well.

Now a traditional offset smoker like a Langs built with thick walled steel plate and or pipe, could probably be built to last a lifetime, even considering wall thickness losses due to corrosion, rust, etc. from exposure to rain, snow and ice, perhaps exacerbated by repeated frequent firing of the firebox area.

These are my thoughts on it anyway. Others here probably have some ideas on this as well. If you're talking about a competition smoker, where it will be fired 6 - 8 times a month during the season, (driven hard and put up wet), I'm not sure you'll get as many years out of a Stumps or similar style smoker. YMMV however . . .. :wink:

Pappy Q 10-29-2013 05:09 AM

Check out Deep South Smokers. Built like a tank and I expect it will be around for my grandchildren to use.

armor 10-29-2013 05:22 AM

I have a Spicewine. 5 years now. Averages 5 uses a month. No problems. I actually purchased a cover from them at the time of purchase. Very heavy duty with velcro front closure. It has held up very well. Sun, snow, rain have not weakened this cover at all. A great insulated smoker!

jonboy 10-29-2013 05:41 AM

Buy the best smoker you can.
An insulated smoker is good thinking in the north east, colder areas.
It is a metal product and should be protected, maintained like your car.
Some will let their cars sit out in all weather...you see the results/shorter life span.
Some will garage/wash/wax their cars and have a longer lifespan.
How long your smoker lasts depends on how you treat it.
I have seen langs abused as well as upright insulated smokers.
I plan on passing my smokers to my future grand-kids.
jon