How do i cut a butt in half???

Gman556

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Been looking through the search function but couldnt find anything. Got a 8 pound boston here and want to season half for tacos and such.

Spandex like in my avatar.

Seriously, why would you cut a butt in half? If you need smaller chunks of butt, just buy country style ribs.

Honestly I would cook two whole butts. That way you can also practice on getting the tenderness right. A half butt will be misleading cook-wise.

Stihl chainsaw... Bandsaws work too.
In all seriousnes, don't use a chainsaw.

I vote hacksaw wih clean sharp blade that will not transfer paint to your meat.

I have made buckboard bacon out of pork butts and to that you have to cut them in half

Just take a boning knife and carefully cut around the bone and remove it

then you can slice it in half very easily. I run the knife parallel to the fat cap, about right though the middle

but thats for buckboard bacon. You can just as easily cut in half the other way too once the bone is removed.

pretty simple, really

Last edited:
A sharp object. Some of the posts would probably do it......ahahahahha...

Seriously, a knife and possibly a cleaver (for that bone).

Thanks guys! but in the interest of being....lazy...im just rubbing the whole thing the same! next time im at the butcher ill have him get me some small ones to do.

Save yourself some money and debone the butt yourself using a knife. It is super easy and then you can cut the butt in half.

One of them fancy cordless sawzalls with a new bimetal blade. But I agree with the suggestion to cook 2 butts.

I cut butts in half all the time. Just end up with a bone-in half and a boneless half.
What's the big deal???

Back