The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Quad - Fection? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=130851)

tigerpaw 04-17-2012 11:52 AM

Quad - Fection?

In golf and tennis, they have the Grand Slam, in horse racing the Triple Crown, but does BBQ have any such term for a team winning all four categories - Chicken, Ribs, Pork and Brisket at a single event? Yes I know golf and horse racing etc are over several events and therefore I would think it makes it that much harder for a BBQ team to pull off the __________ (fill in blank with name of this feat ) of winning all 4 categories on a single weekend.

Post below made me wonder and I don't recall ever seeing such a name given to this occurring. Also wonder how often it in fact does occur. Yes I am a bit bored today.

SHBBQ 04-17-2012 11:59 AM

"farking great weekend"

that's what i'd call it!

tigerpaw 04-17-2012 12:17 PM

Since God is already taken,
A MOB - Master of BBQ?
A Quad-Fection?
A Porkopolus ?
A Dodo? (Golf has an Albatross)
Technically I guess winning all 4 would assure you of Grand Champion so it might be a Quint-Fection?

Booking It 04-17-2012 12:36 PM

Interesting... That would be quite a feat. I did a quick search and came up with two teams claiming a "quad". I also wonder how often it really happens... probably not too much, but it would be hard to come down from that high!

Home BBQ
HomeBBQ.com is the only Barbecue Competition Team to ever win all 4 categories in a Sanctioned BBQ Competition with over 20 teams competing.

Slap Yo Daddy
Update July 4, 2009 - Way Out West BBQ Championship, Stockton, CA - We won our 3rd consecutive Grand Champion and 1st place in all four meat categories. This will give us our forth entry for the Jack Daniels draw where one GC team from California will be invited to Lynchburg, Tennessee, for what is considered the Super Bowl of BBQ contests. KCBS officials from Kansas City have confirmed that this is the first time in America that a team has accomplished this feat at a State Championship and Team of the Year (TOY) event. <Blog>

Chucktown 04-17-2012 12:39 PM

Swine Assassins won all four categories at the 2010 SMSU Smokefest in Marshall, MN. They had 31 teams at that contest. Anyone else?

tigerpaw 04-17-2012 01:09 PM

I saw a post from Nov of 2011 that the team won Team of Year in all 4 catagoires. It made me wonder had it been done at a single event. So by some of your findings yes it has but I guess so few times no call or tag or name has been assigned to pulling this feat off.

This was the post for TOY -
PNWBA 2011 Team Of The Year...
Wine Country "Q"...:razz: We also won best overall pork butt, brisket, chicken, and ribs...holy bbq Batman! :cool:
Pacific Northwest BBQ Association Board Of Directors

Vince RnQ 04-17-2012 01:14 PM

Otis & The Bird accomplished this at a Jack qualifier in Arizona in 2008.

Slamdunkpro 04-17-2012 01:52 PM

Sweep? (yeah I know it's a baseball term)
Porkgasm?
Order of The Coronary with 4 cholesterol clusters?

tigerpaw 04-17-2012 02:19 PM

How about -

Aporkalyptic ( A pork a lip tic )

Not to be confused with Aporkalypse Now

See you Saturday and maybe you can pull off an Aporkalyptic!

southernstyle 04-17-2012 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Booking It (Post 2018854)
Interesting... That would be quite a feat. I did a quick search and came up with two teams claiming a "quad". I also wonder how often it really happens... probably not too much, but it would be hard to come down from that high!

Home BBQ
HomeBBQ.com is the only Barbecue Competition Team to ever win all 4 categories in a Sanctioned BBQ Competition with over 20 teams competing.

Slap Yo Daddy
Update July 4, 2009 - Way Out West BBQ Championship, Stockton, CA - We won our 3rd consecutive Grand Champion and 1st place in all four meat categories. This will give us our forth entry for the Jack Daniels draw where one GC team from California will be invited to Lynchburg, Tennessee, for what is considered the Super Bowl of BBQ contests. KCBS officials from Kansas City have confirmed that this is the first time in America that a team has accomplished this feat at a State Championship and Team of the Year (TOY) event. <Blog>

the first contest i ever did was in jan 2010 bubba que won all four catagories and it was sactioned. there was 40 + teams there. they mentioned it was only the second time it had ever happened

CBQ 04-17-2012 03:10 PM

<golfcap> :clap2:

Ted: Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome back to our live broadcast from Poultry in the Park.

Fred: That's right folks. For those of you just joining us, team Smoke Up Your Butt has been on a tear, taking the first place in the Chicken, Ribs, and Pork. They are having a farking great weekend.

Ted: Absolutely Fred. If the 180 in Chicken wasn't enough, don't forget that they won yesterday's Chef's Choice.

Fred: Ted, who can forget that? A Chiporcow. A cow stuffed with a pig stuffed with a chicken. Amazing!

Ted: You said it Fred. Now our attention turns to the brisket. If they win this category, Smoke Up Your Butt will have accomplished what only a few have done: won the Meat Master.

Fred: Yes, it's only been done a few times. They could win their own coveted red sauce colored jacket.

Ted: Well, here we go, the final judgement!

<golfclap>

Fred: Judge 1 picks up the brisket. Nice color on the flat. The burnt ends have a good lie there on the parsley.

Ted: Good bend there...he's trying it...he looks happy...triple 9.

Fred: Wow, they are well on their way. Judges 2 through 5 are digging in.

Ted: For the folks at home, Smoke Up Your Butt is out in front by twelve points. They only need a 168 or better here to win the Meat Master.

Fred: That's right. The team took a lot of heat early on today for using a white Thermapen. It was a big departure for them from their usual red, we will see if the risk taking pays off for them.

<golfcap>

Ted: Looks like the next set of scores are in. Looks like mostly 9s, couple of 8s on appearance...and...oh no...a 7 on texture from Judge 5.

Fred: Oh, that's going to hurt them.

Ted: Yes, it could. Folks at home, don't forget the lowest score gets dropped, so they could still pull it off.

Fred: Right you are Ted, it's all up to Judge 6 now.

Ted: Judge 6 eyes the burnt ends. Takes a bite.

Fred: He smiles.

Ted: Yes, he does look pleased. Now he is going for the flat.

Fred: <whisper> It all comes down to this. The preparation. The sweat. The consumption of much alcohol in red plastic cups.

Ted: Judge 6 pulls on the flat...it resists and comes apart nicely.

Fred: All looking good for Smoke Up Your Butt in their quest for the Meat Master

Ted: Here we go.... <whisper> OH MY GOD!

Fred: I can't believe my eyes Ted. A small piece of foil from that while Thermapen!

Ted: The reps are discussing....yes...looks like Smoke Up Your Butt is getting a DQ

Fred: It's always Judge 6, isn't it Ted?

Ted: Sure is Fred. It's going to cost them the Meat Master.

Fred: We will be right back after these short messages from the Secret Squirrel Society.

Ted: There is no Secret Squirrel Society, Fred.

Q-Dat 04-17-2012 04:07 PM

I think it should be called a "Quadruple Bypass"........:screwy:

tigerpaw 04-17-2012 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBQ (Post 2019060)
<golfcap> :clap2:

Ted: Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome back to our live broadcast from Poultry in the Park.

Fred: That's right folks. For those of you just joining us, team Smoke Up Your Butt has been on a tear, taking the first place in the Chicken, Ribs, and Pork. They are having a farking great weekend.

Ted: Absolutely Fred. If the 180 in Chicken wasn't enough, don't forget that they won yesterday's Chef's Choice.

Fred: Ted, who can forget that? A Chiporcow. A cow stuffed with a pig stuffed with a chicken. Amazing!

Ted: You said it Fred. Now our attention turns to the brisket. If they win this category, Smoke Up Your Butt will have accomplished what only a few have done: won the Meat Master.

Fred: Yes, it's only been done a few times. They could win their own coveted red sauce colored jacket.

Ted: Well, here we go, the final judgement!

<golfclap>

Fred: Judge 1 picks up the brisket. Nice color on the flat. The burnt ends have a good lie there on the parsley.

Ted: Good bend there...he's trying it...he looks happy...triple 9.

Fred: Wow, they are well on their way. Judges 2 through 5 are digging in.

Ted: For the folks at home, Smoke Up Your Butt is out in front by twelve points. They only need a 168 or better here to win the Meat Master.

Fred: That's right. The team took a lot of heat early on today for using a white Thermapen. It was a big departure for them from their usual red, we will see if the risk taking pays off for them.

<golfcap>

Ted: Looks like the next set of scores are in. Looks like mostly 9s, couple of 8s on appearance...and...oh no...a 7 on texture from Judge 5.

Fred: Oh, that's going to hurt them.

Ted: Yes, it could. Folks at home, don't forget the lowest score gets dropped, so they could still pull it off.

Fred: Right you are Ted, it's all up to Judge 6 now.

Ted: Judge 6 eyes the burnt ends. Takes a bite.

Fred: He smiles.

Ted: Yes, he does look pleased. Now he is going for the flat.

Fred: <whisper> It all comes down to this. The preparation. The sweat. The consumption of much alcohol in red plastic cups.

Ted: Judge 6 pulls on the flat...it resists and comes apart nicely.

Fred: All looking good for Smoke Up Your Butt in their quest for the Meat Master

Ted: Here we go.... <whisper> OH MY GOD!

Fred: I can't believe my eyes Ted. A small piece of foil from that while Thermapen!

Ted: The reps are discussiong....yes...looks like Smoke Up Your Butt is getting a DQ

Fred: It's always Judge 6, isn't it Ted?

Ted: Sure is Fred. It's going to cost them the Meat Master.

Fred: We will be right back after these short messages from the Secret Squirrel Society.

Ted: There is no Secret Squirrel Society, Fred.

And I thought I was bored today. :clap2:

Parts_Guy 04-17-2012 04:20 PM

Quadfecta

bbq.tom 04-17-2012 04:39 PM

It is a 'sweep'. Not just a sports term - it fits ANY competition and means winning it all!