The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Safety Review - Input Needed (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150175)

Fo Sizzle My Nizzle 12-25-2012 06:09 AM

Safety Review - Input Needed

1 Attachment(s)
Any of you early birds have some input on how safe today's emergency setup is? Usually do my cookin on the back deck but due to high winds I've moved to the front porch. I have about a foot and a half of clearance on each side and approximately five to six feet above. Any advice if I should proceed as is? Got my fire extinguisher close by.

Attachment 73771

Big Mike's BBQ 12-25-2012 07:15 AM

most fire codes require 10 ft of clearance from combustible surfaces. That being said I would keep a close eye on it and do it anyway. I had my backwoods going all dayy yesterday in my garage. Wife isn't too happy about our smoke house garage and the new car smell has been replaced by smoke smell, which I like better.

Big Mike

chicagokp 12-25-2012 07:22 AM

me personally, I would cook there, but keep a watchful eye. Looks like vinyl siding, be careful, it can melt....someone in the neighborhood burned the back half of the house down from a gas grill that was too close.

SmokeWatcher 12-25-2012 07:22 AM

new car smelling of BBQ...what's not to like!

caseydog 12-25-2012 07:24 AM

Just don't leave it unattended. It should be fine.

CD

Drh7003 12-25-2012 07:28 AM

Please be careful! For me, it is too close, but your mileage may vary. Vinyl siding melts and it can be expensive to replace and worse case scenario, it could ruin your holiday.
I have PermaBase (concrete underlayment from Lowes) I put around things when I am worried about heat or fire.

Fo Sizzle My Nizzle 12-25-2012 07:41 AM

Out of paranoia I've been going out to feel the surrounding areas. So far so good and it seems the 16 degree temps are actually beneficial for once.

Garrett 12-25-2012 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokeWatcher (Post 2306429)
new car smelling of BBQ...what's not to like!

They should make a " Little Tree" . I would buy it.

pbj 12-25-2012 07:52 AM

I would be more worried about embers falling out onto a combustible surface (if that's what it is). Up here it is against the law to have a charcoal grill on a wooden deck, it must be gas. Some communities go so far as to say they must be hard piped gas.

FattyMac 12-25-2012 07:54 AM

+1 on the siding warning.

I had some new siding put on this year and after they saw my collection of BBQs and grills the installer was very adamant about making sure I didn't cook close to the siding and to make sure everything was good and cold before storing them close to the house.

kenthanson 12-25-2012 08:30 AM

Looks like you have a couple of sheets of osb to block the wind, might be mistaken, if you got the tools and time cut them up and make a little box that fits around the wsm a little tighter.

Fo Sizzle My Nizzle 12-25-2012 08:41 AM

My plan was to build a windbreak before today so I could stay setup in my usual area but with all the shopping and cooking I put it off. That is at the top of my list for next week...just as long as my wife doesn't have something to say about how I spend my time off.

code3rrt 12-25-2012 09:41 AM

In the cold outside weather I would think you'll be ok, but as already stated, keep a close eye on it!

Bludawg 12-25-2012 09:47 AM

I don't have a Problem it's your house hope your INS is paid.

el_matt 12-25-2012 10:11 AM

I gotta agree with everyone else, not an ideal place, but you gotta do what you gotta do. However, I wouldn't have started my chimney there, but that's just me.

Matt