The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Straight rib bones.... (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=163373)

moontz 06-15-2013 12:12 AM

Straight rib bones....

Watching pit masters and these other shows, when they cut their ribs, the bones look perfectly straight. I have been cooking ribs for quite a while and never run into a rack of spares with perfectly straight bones (baby backs not an issue). The spares are always at some angle...

I ave got spare ribs from RD, costco, grocery store, and a couple local butchers. None have looked as nice as those on tv. Am I missing something and these straight bone spare ribs exist or is the camera playing tricks on me? If they do exist, any tips on where to buy or how to identify?

Brian

smokinb 06-15-2013 07:12 AM

TV adds 10 pounds too. Myron weighs about 175 in real life.

Q-Dat 06-15-2013 12:21 PM

I gave up on trying to find ribs with bones perpendicular to the length of the slab. If I happen to find them great, but I don't hold my breath.

What I do now is just try to make sure that they all run the same direction.

This would be perfect.
l l l l l l l l l l l l l
But hard to find.

I'm ok with this.
/////////////

But this is a killer come turn in time.
l l l l l l///////

Ron_L 06-15-2013 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Q-Dat (Post 2516827)
I gave up on trying to find ribs with bones perpendicular to the length of the slab. If I happen to find them great, but I don't hold my breath.

What I do now is just try to make sure that they all run the same direction.

This would be perfect.
l l l l l l l l l l l l l
But hard to find.

I'm ok with this.
/////////////

l l l l l l///////

Nice illustration! :thumb:

MikeJ65 06-15-2013 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Q-Dat (Post 2516827)
l l l l l l///////

And it is always the slab that is perfectly done, has the best color, and is just running with juices.

Shiz-Nit 06-15-2013 03:09 PM

Pitmasters meat sponcer hand picks each cut of meat for the show. This is marketing on their part... You see perfect bones on TV from their product... You buy their product.

But all in all the product that is delivered to your door is not always as it looks on TV (straight bones) weekend and week out on the show.... I know I have tried.

This is just my thought no inside info.

K-Train 06-15-2013 04:12 PM

Dartagnan ribs are pretty good.

Basted moral support guy 06-16-2013 05:16 PM

It's all CGI. Straight ribs don't exist. They're the sasquatch of barbecue. People claim to have seen them, but all photo evidence is photo trickery.

Q-Dat 06-16-2013 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basted moral support guy (Post 2518083)
It's all CGI. Straight ribs don't exist. They're the sasquatch of barbecue. People claim to have seen them, but all photo evidence is photo trickery.

Oh I see them. Its just that when I do I don't have a cooler and I'm a long way from home!