Competitions

viper1

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I love rib burn offs. By the way I really like this site also. Even though I mostly smoke or make curred meats. I do ribs and love them. I was reading and started thinking that I always thought the competions were proving the beat cooks and recipes. But to my sunrise seems more use commercial rubs and sauses. Maybe a little doctoring. Guess i'll have to rethink how I judge the ribs and things now.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Why does using a commercial rub or sauce make someone less of a cook? And why would that change the way you judge? Well cooked meat with a good flavor profile is well cooked meat with a good flavor profile regardless of the source of the rub and sauce.

:confused:

cook

Why does using a commercial rub or sauce make someone less of a cook? And why would that change the way you judge? Well cooked meat with a good flavor profile is well cooked meat with a good flavor profile regardless of the source of the rub and sauce.

:confused:

Sorry your confused1 Don't think I said any thing about it making any one a bad cook. I said I thought coming up with your own recipes was part of the completions. Would never of thought I could simply go out and buy the same sause or rubs. Guess I just assumed too much and never asked. Also the fact I enjoy coming up with my own and seeing the results. Just figured others felt the same. Like I said I didn't know.

I guess it's a good thing that cooking good Q is more than just sauces and spices

:doh:

I was reading and started thinking that I always thought the competions were proving the beat cooks and recipes. But to my sunrise seems more use commercial rubs and sauses. Maybe a little doctoring. Guess i'll have to rethink how I judge the ribs and things now.

I'd like to ask how you'll know whose BBQ is made with commercially bought rubs and sauces, doctored commercially bought rubs and sauces, or originally made rubs and sauces?

I'm under the assumption that your "rethinking" would entail scoring people using commercially bought products lower than BBQ made with products made by the competitor?

Judges are supposed to judge the BBQ as it is presented, you're biasing your scores based on assuptions of what you suspect was used in seasoning the meat. You might consider not judging any more contests until you are able to work through your biased thinking problem.

hmm

I'd like to ask how you'll know whose BBQ is made with commercially bought rubs and sauces, doctored commercially bought rubs and sauces, or originally made rubs and sauces?Didn't figure I could. But a person could compare to other sauses.

I'm under the assumption that your "rethinking" would entail scoring people using commercially bought products lower than BBQ made with products made by the competitor? Don't assume any thing. Your reading words into what I said. I have seen plenty home made i would judge lower. But also if i dont know its commercial as you said how could I.

Judges are supposed to judge the BBQ as it is presented, you're biasing your scores based on assuptions of what you suspect was used in seasoning the meat. You might consider not judging any more contests until you are able to work through your biased thinking problem.
Well first of all Im not a judge. But when I judge for my own taste. I take only one thing in. How it tastes. I could care less on presentation. But if I know its a home brew sauce or rub competing yes I would think more of it. To me its the difference in being yours or using someone elses. Guess I always thought the pros did it bigger and better and new all the tricks. Not just how to BBQ.

Viper, just for clarity, when a (KCBS) judge performs their judging duty on contestants' entries, they do not know where the rub, sauce, meat, wood, smoker, or team came from. From a competition standpoint, (which is what your original post was about), it does not matter and is not known. The entry will be judged on it's merit.

And FWIW, many excellent teams make all their rubs, sauces, and iunjection from "scratch". Many excellent teams take a meticulous, well planned, and practiced hybrid approach. I am not sure of any excellent teams that heat the meat to desired temp and then season with strictly commercial products - but they may well exist and they probably enjoy what they are doing.

OK... Before you start yelling at people (posting in all caps or all bold is considered yelling), re-read your post and then consider that you have posted in the competition section of the forum. I've highlighted a couple of sections.

I love rib burn offs. By the way I really like this site also. Even though I mostly smoke or make curred meats. I do ribs and love them. I was reading and started thinking that I always thought the competions were proving the beat cooks and recipes. But to my sunrise seems more use commercial rubs and sauses. Maybe a little doctoring. Guess i'll have to rethink how I judge the ribs and things now.

The section is blue sure sounds like you have changed your opinion of the quality of competition cooks (remember, you posted in the comp section) because you found out that they don't all use home made rubs and sauces. (I'm assuming that beat was supposed to be best and was a victim of auto-correct :) )

The section in fuscia (!) indicates that you are judging ribs, and since you posted this in the competition section, the only conclusion that folks can come to is that you are a judge.

Well first of all Im not a judge. But when I judge for my own taste. I take only one thing in. How it tastes. I could care less on presentation. But if I know its a home brew sauce or rub competing yes I would think more of it. To me its the difference in being yours or using someone elses. Guess I always thought the pros did it bigger and better and new all the tricks. Not just how to BBQ.

Now we find out that you aren't a judge. OK. But then once again you imply that you would think less of anyone who doesn't use their own rubs and sauces. Why would that make any difference? I choose to use a commercial rub because it has the flavor profile that I am looking for. That doesn't mean that I don't know how to buld a rub or make a sauce. I choose to use a commercial product because it gives me the result that I want. Over the past four years the judges have agreed (most of the time :-D).

As far as knowing all of the tricks, maybe using a particular commercial rub or sauce is one of those tricks. I doubt that you will find any competition cook who will say that they know everything. Even the guys who are at the top of the rankings will tell you that they are constantly learning. That's what keeps them at the top.

I don't want to start (or continue) an argument, but you have to take into account what you wrote, how you wrote it, and where you posted it. The folks here are competitors, so when you refer to judging they assume, right or wrong, that you are talking about judging competitions.

Viper - are you generally referring to what you expected the rib burners to be doing ? Not sure of the rules in rib burns but I'd suspect any product can be used.

A KCBS contest, different from a rib-burn off in some ways... it allows commerical products,

in either case your issue should reside with the rules, not the contestants. They may or may not know all the tricks, but they are working within the rules and what's convenient.

I'd think for a rib burn, where hundreds if not thousands of pounds of meat are cooked, it might not be the most cost efficient thing to try to produce your own rubs & sauces in such high volume unless you were having them blended commerically

sorry

Kind of sorry i brought it up! Some times what I say dont match my thoughts. And not real good with words.
1.I wasn't yelling but tried to highlight my response for easier reading. I was always taught caps is yelling.
2. Just thought pros had secret recipes... not necessarily better.
3. I am no trained Judge only a guy who has cooked and enjoyed BBQ a long time .
4. I do take pride in my recipes. Not saying any one else don't. I also enjoying being able to tweak mine to get better results and don't use commercial. Not saying it's wrong but sure seems to touch a delicate spot with the ones that do.
5. Id never be in a spot to judge, I enjoy all of it.
6. I do like the site. And sorry if I offended any one. Carry on!

No worries! It's all good.

BTW, most competition cooks do have secret recipes :) But those secret recipes may just be the right combination of a couple of different commercial products :-D

doesn't make sense.....you buy all your spices that you use at home right? what??? you don't make your own salt and pepper? are you kidding me you don't make your own granulated garlic? everybody uses premade product at some point....its just all about how and what you combine :wink:

well

doesn't make sense.....you buy all your spices that you use at home right? what??? you don't make your own salt and pepper? are you kidding me you don't make your own granulated garlic? everybody uses premade product at some point....its just all about how and what you combine :wink:

You are kidding right! Mixing salt and garlic = using bottled sauces and rubs?
Apples and oranges.

So... if i use my own rub that I have blended for me because a co-packer can produce 10lbs of rub cheaper than i can buy the ingredients for is it considered a commercial rub?

No I would not consider that the same if you came up with the formula. again Apples and Oranges?

You know! I sure hope you guys are ribbing me. I ve already said Sorry but all these comments are still coming.
If your not then maybe you ought to re investigate your self and what your doing.. Why are you personally worried about what i said unless you feel somethings wrong? I made a statement to a group. I didnt say any thing was wrong. Only that I had noticed it.
I dont care if you use Open pit or just plain chili powder my self. And I could care less how some one feels about what I use. I do what I enjoy and you should too! Seems so many people today feel insecure. Ever notice that?
LOL

Thanks

No worries! It's all good.

BTW, most competition cooks do have secret recipes :) But those secret recipes may just be the right combination of a couple of different commercial products :-D

Thanks Ron!

So mixing garlic and salt is the same as using open pit huh?

I was just providing a different way to look at it, i buy my rub from my co-pack because it is cheaper. When i compete i want to win, it benifits my business so i cook what the judges want. Its not how i like bbq, but i dont cook for me. I do have "secret" competition recipes, i will tell you all the products i use, but the secret is in how i use them. I love competing and i love cooking bbq for my customers, but it is not the same style of bbq.

Back