Home from first comp

Hozman

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Well back home from long 2 days in Lee's Summit, MO. It was certainly an education. From how we cooked and the scores we got to the people around us:evil: Team next to us partied hard till 0430 this morning so between there shenanigans and the famous train that went by it seemed every couple minutes was a long no sleep night.

We took 47th out of 68 teams. Was hoping for the top half. Chicken which I figured would be my worse turn in took 21st. Ribs took 45th (next time use my own rub and sauce) looking back should not have switched things up at a comp. Brisket took 33rd and my biggest surprise and what I am so confused and unhappy about is pork took 66th:sad: So many people have commented on my pork butt when I have cooked it privately. Even traded some meat with some team and they all stated it was really good. Got 3 6's, 2 7's and 1 9 for taste so I have no idea.

But had a great time, met was great guys and learned several things. Biggest one is cooking in the backyard is nothing compared to comp cooking. Time to get ready for next one in August in Excelsior Springs, MO

Brisket took 33rd and my biggest surprise and what I am so confused and unhappy about is pork took 66th:sad: So many people have commented on my pork butt when I have cooked it privately. Even traded some meat with some team and they all stated it was really good.

Don't get too bent, but the only true, brutally honest feedback is your score sheet.

So many people have commented on my pork butt when I have cooked it privately.

Congrats on completing your first comp!

Competition bbq and backyard bbq are 2 different things, and really can't be compared other than to say they just aren't the same.

looking back should not have switched things up at a comp.

Ya, don't to that, cook what you know. Have made that mistake before. Try something 2-3 times, if it it's still not working, then start tweaking it, but you can't tell from just one contest.

Smokin' on the Summit this weekend was our first comp also, I am getting ready to do a little write up on our items. We got a spot that was far away from the trains as we could.

Biggest thing is getting the first comp out of the way. Kinda like prom night ya know! Next time will be much better. :grin:

Good luck with Excelsior. Phil and Rosemary Morrow are the KCBS reps for that one. Great people and they will help you however they can.

It was good meeting you and your crew. Congrats on surviving your first comp and good luck on the rest of the season!

Back