The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Backdraft. . . (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82992)

GammaRei 04-18-2010 08:26 PM

Backdraft. . .

I normally love to use Kingsford charcoal. Yesterday the Orchard Hardware store didnt have any so I bought some lazari lump coals. Well I loaded up one of the Webers with the right amount, got em lit. and put the lid on em with the air controls at the right settings. I let it heat up and when I went to open it. WHOOSH~!!!! Giant fireball. . . The damn thing backdrafted in my face. . . No hair on my arms, eyelashes and head are singed. . . Never had that happen to me before in 15 years of bbqing. . .

- G

FatDaddy 04-18-2010 08:44 PM

Do it damn near every time I am doin a hight heat/sear cook on the egg. Im use to not having hair on my arms and singed eyebrows lol.

Baby Back Maniac 04-18-2010 08:45 PM

On a Weber kettle?

Brauma 04-18-2010 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hogsfan (Post 1254824)
On a Weber kettle?

That was my thought as well. I've used all kinds of fuel but never had that happen on my kettle. On the Egg - yes. I think I'll stay away from lazari lump.

mbshop 04-18-2010 09:02 PM

i'm in a wheelchair so my face is rather close to the kettle. i always open the lid so that the initial opening is away from me. i wouldn't condemn lazzari just cuz of this. seems odd as i've never heard of this. maybe you had some grease in the bottom that got overheated ? happened to me and i had a nice fire ball.

george

vr6Cop 04-18-2010 09:05 PM

I like a big fireball every now and then to keep me on my toes. :flame:

GammaRei 04-18-2010 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hogsfan (Post 1254824)
On a Weber kettle?

Yup ON a Kettle. . .

- G

SmokeJumper 04-18-2010 09:40 PM

GammaRei, Sorry to hear about the hot haircut. I did a similar thing reheating ABTs in a toaster oven a few weeks back and I'm still waiting for my hair to get long enough to cut even. I recently made the switch from BGE to Lazzari mesquite for my primary lump because their headquarters is two miles from my home, it is dirt cheap, burns well, and fits my smoke preferences. I also noticed that I am getting more flashbacks than with BGE, Wicked or Cowboy. It usually happens when I have a fresh load, burn it hot, damper it down, and then open the lid. I'm definitely burping my egg and kettle every time under these conditions. Maybe we can start a thread with pictures of our crooked crew cuts.:oops: