The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Where to Buy Comp Duroc/Berkshire Butts (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=272067)

Mattb82 05-15-2019 05:43 PM

Where to Buy Comp Duroc/Berkshire Butts
 
Just got my duroc butts in from creekstone and am very disappointed. They are small with tiny money muscles. Looking for an online vendor to buy nice big Duroc/ Berkshire butts to use for comps. Just looking for butts and not the whole picnic like SRF offers. Thanks everyone

Matt

pharp 05-15-2019 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattb82 (Post 4179081)
Just got my duroc butts in from creekstone and am very disappointed. They are small with tiny money muscles. Looking for an online vendor to buy nice big Duroc/ Berkshire butts to use for comps. Just looking for butts and not the whole picnic like SRF offers. Thanks everyone

Matt

https://www.compartduroc.com/

Mattb82 05-15-2019 06:00 PM

Thank you
 
Absolutely perfect!
Quote:

Originally Posted by pharp (Post 4179087)


Speeed 05-15-2019 06:07 PM

^^^ Malcom Reed speaks highly of them.
I was posting the link but pharp beat me to it.

West River BBQ 05-15-2019 07:30 PM

kind of pricey. Are they that good?

BruceB 05-15-2019 10:06 PM

Big Duroc/Berkshire Butts with large money muscles don't come cheap.

cpw 05-16-2019 06:46 AM

Don't know how his price compares to buying from Compart direct, but check out the Butcher Shoppe (in Pensacola FL I believe) on Facebook, and they'll give you a quote.

midwest_kc 05-16-2019 09:47 AM

For the experienced Compart cooks, what's the biggest difference between Compart and other pork brands. I've been using Smithfield, and have been happy with it. With them going away from the ET product, I'm looking at trying a few brands, Prairie Fresh, and possibly Compart to see what I would like to use moving forward. Interested to hear what everyone thinks.

ewatts2003 05-16-2019 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midwest_kc (Post 4179401)
For the experienced Compart cooks, what's the biggest difference between Compart and other pork brands. I've been using Smithfield, and have been happy with it. With them going away from the ET product, I'm looking at trying a few brands, Prairie Fresh, and possibly Compart to see what I would like to use moving forward. Interested to hear what everyone thinks.

Smithfield is moving on from the ET line?

midwest_kc 05-16-2019 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ewatts2003 (Post 4179417)
Smithfield is moving on from the ET line?

Yup. By 6/30 they will have moved on from it. Walmart will still have ET Ribs during the summer, but no one else will have ribs, and butts are gone.

I've been stocking up to try and get through the season just so I don't have to make a change this year, but tbh, I haven't loved how they've been butchering the fat caps ET butts this year. I shouldn't have any problems getting enough ribs though, so at least there's that.

Right on Q 05-16-2019 11:29 AM

I use allegiant duroc pork from a local butcher here in Memphis. As long as it's duroc the marbling will be outstanding.

Won a rib contest first time I used them. Also like Smithfield ETs

ewatts2003 05-16-2019 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midwest_kc (Post 4179421)
Yup. By 6/30 they will have moved on from it. Walmart will still have ET Ribs during the summer, but no one else will have ribs, and butts are gone.

I've been stocking up to try and get through the season just so I don't have to make a change this year, but tbh, I haven't loved how they've been butchering the fat caps ET butts this year. I shouldn't have any problems getting enough ribs though, so at least there's that.

Thanks for the info. Maybe I shouldn't try so hard to find ET ribs for my upcoming comps if they be available anymore. I did have good luck with the Prime line last year, but they are hard to find as well.

Duroc would be good to try out, but the price is a deterrent for sure.

midwest_kc 05-16-2019 12:19 PM

The prime line is ok, but the muscles on the butts are soooo small.

Anyone know the size of the Compart butts? Good sized money muscles?

toys4dlr 05-16-2019 12:57 PM

Do you know anyone in the food service business. See if they can get them from their suppliers. Out here in AZ I can get Compart Butts and Ribs from Shamrock Foods.

DanB 05-22-2019 03:24 PM

WOW Shipping
 
Hi All Was going to place an order for some ribs from Https://www.compartduroc.com. Couldn't believe shipping would have been 80.00 to NJ.
Question why was shipping so high? Still looking around for some decent ribs. I've buying my ribs at Restaurant Depot & Costco, was looking for some thing a little better.
DanB


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:24 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.