Questions regarding brisket??

nrok2118

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So after some lame ass attempts with grocery store trimmed flats I'd like to try a packer brisket but am having trouble finding one. Today I found a butcher shop who kills their own animals only 20 min away. I called them and after talking to two different women who didnt have a clue (sorry ladies) I got to talk to the butcher. He said a brisket is 5-7 pounds trimmed, maybe 10+ untrimmed. I asked multiple times to verify if its a whole packer or just a flat, cause most trimmed flats ive seen are 5-7 pounds. He said its the flat and the point. Either way I can get anything I want so I need some knowledge. Figure id ask the brethren!

So,
1. How much do packer cuts normally weigh?
2. How does $3.09/pound sound?
3. Anyone have pictures to help know what im looking for? He said hes usually doing serious slaughter thursdays so i may stop in tomorrow and see what they got/what i can get my hand on

$3.09 a lb isn't too bad. That's less than I normally pay, but more than I've seen others around here get it for.

As for the weight, he's probably right. A fully trimmed flat and point would probably max out at about 10 lbs.

Sorry... no pictures from me. But I'll betcha some other Brothers have some AWESOME ones... (ahem...Paul?? a little help here?)

The only whole packers I have seen that were that small were Wagyu briskets. They might just be small.

I think $3.09 is a just a bit pricey compared to what I'm used to paying, but there in PA that could be a more fair price. Quality is another factor, if these are very good briskets the price should be higher.

Here's some pics of a whole, untrimmed packer from several angles, including in cryo. The main thing to note is the strip of fat that separates the flat from the point, which I outline in the last pic. If you can see the two separate muscles together, separated by this section of fat, then you have a packer.

01_InCryo.jpg

04_Raw_Washed.jpg

05_Raw_Fatup_01.jpg

06_Raw_Fatup_02.jpg

07_Raw_Fatup_03.jpg

08_Raw_Fatdown_01.jpg

08_Raw_Fatdown_02.jpg

09_Raw_FatDown_03.jpg

10_Raw_Fatdown_04.jpg

10_Raw_Fatdown_05.jpg

11_Raw_Fatdown_06.jpg

13_Raw_FatLayer_Between_02.jpg

So after some lame ass attempts with grocery store trimmed flats I'd like to try a packer brisket but am having trouble finding one. Today I found a butcher shop who kills their own animals only 20 min away. I called them and after talking to two different women who didnt have a clue (sorry ladies) I got to talk to the butcher. He said a brisket is 5-7 pounds trimmed, maybe 10+ untrimmed. I asked multiple times to verify if its a whole packer or just a flat, cause most trimmed flats ive seen are 5-7 pounds. He said its the flat and the point. Either way I can get anything I want so I need some knowledge. Figure id ask the brethren!

So,
3. Anyone have pictures to help know what im looking for? He said hes usually doing serious slaughter thursdays so i may stop in tomorrow and see what they got/what i can get my hand on

You don't have a Sam's Club or Restaurant Depot or even a Smart and Final anywhere near you?

So,

I have been having a lot of trouble finding them too and that is really good price from a butcher. Mind telling me where it is? I go through bucks county fairly often.

Pretty sure Walmart usually has them and everybody has a Walmart within 10 miles. If you don't, call them. They will probably come out and build you one.

How about Costoco. You will probably pay more from a butcher as the meat should be fresher. What kind of meat- CAB, choice etc

Usually Sam's or Restaurant Depot is $1.69-1.89 lb and you can get 13-15 lb untrimmed packers. Of course, you're tossing 3-4 lbs of fat it seems like.

If the Cattle are grass fed and finished then 10 lbs is right on the money. Every one I've done has been from 9.5-10.5 lbs with excess fat trimmed

If you order a trimmed brisket and want to smoke the packer intact be sure to tell the butcher not to separate the point from the flat. I've found some places consider trimming includes separating the two.

Like the others have mentioned, I haven't been in a Wally World that didn't carry full packers.

I have been having a lot of trouble finding them too and that is really good price from a butcher. Mind telling me where it is? I go through bucks county fairly often.

http://baringerbrosmeats.com/ Its in Richlandtown

Costco is where ive been getting my trimmed flats, the nearest sams club is pretty far, same with restaurant depot. Dont even have any super walmarts around here.

I'd give the butcher's offer a look-see and go with your gut. If you don't like what you see, I'd bite the bullet and take the hour plus drive into philly and get cryo wrapped packers at restaurant depot. If you don't have a business license (or know a friend who does), you can always buy a membership at KCBS and get day passes to restaurant depot. You could always load up and freeze them if you don't want to take the trip too often. Hell, in Atlanta it takes an hour to go downtown in traffic, so that amount of time is nothing around here.

Surprisingly, I couldn't easily find whole packers in the south 'burbs of Chicago. The local grocery stores don't carry them. Either does the local Sam's - only flats. Asked the "butchers" on a couple of occasions about packers and they looked at me like I had two heads :wacko:.

Been disappointed in Sam's lately. A week ago they didn't have any Boston Butts or Chucks on a Friday afternoon.

Found a local butcher that carries them but they close at 3pm. Very inconvenient.

I've been surprised by the size of briskets at Wal-Mart in smaller towns. Seen some I would maybe consider for a contest if I had to.

It's sometimes hard for me to remember that I'm in Omaha while u guys are talkin $3 a pound for brisky. Here we get grain fed Angus for - seems to me - $1.88 a lb. I bought a 14 pounder the other day for that. At once, I'm both embarassed and gratified that we can get quality cuts for that kind of money. I openly ponder what it would take to ship a brisky ur way - frozen & packed with dry ice??? Got mine @ Sam's

Perhaps living in Omaha is the reason I'm overweight? Aw, heck, you'll out live me - but I'll have more fun! Whaddyathink?

Pretty sure Walmart usually has them and everybody has a Walmart within 10 miles. If you don't, call them. They will probably come out and build you one.

That would be sooo funny if it wasn't true.

Damn! Good advice guys! Nicely done with the pics, too. nrok, these guys are setting you straight, man. This is better than a meat cutters class. Nice to be reading from guys who know their stuff!!!
One more issue for you to consider always, always, always. Choice or Certified Angus Beef (CAB) is what you are looking for. You will find a lot of SELECT. Leave it for cousin Bob's backyard BBQ. Rest. Depot, Cash & Carry those type of pro suppliers will treat you right BUT they also stock Select grade briskets. Check it out to be sure.
If you are talking with a butcher or meat cutter, it's the "Flat" and the "Deckle". The guy who was calling it a point was doing that because most non-pros use those terms, flat and point. No biggie. Butchers know they are called the flat and the deckle.
Most of the cryo packers I buy through Rest. Depot are about 12.5 lbs. So, look for the right grade and get the flat and deckle together (That's what a "Packer Cut" is), as you've been advised, not two pieces.
( Pssst The deckle produces the best "burnt ends" you'll ever find....damn, I'm getting hungry! )

Back