The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   First all wood smoke(almost) (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152606)

Mattmo 01-28-2013 09:53 PM

First all wood smoke(almost)

1 Attachment(s)
Got a truck load of cherry and hickory a couple weeks ago. Went to work today and not much going on so I decided to come home and enjoy the weather. Started the smoker up with a chimney full of charcoal and threw in a three splits of cherry. Got the Oklahoma Joes chugging along at a smooth 250. Everything was going great until the wind picked up to 15-20 mph. Still maintained temp pretty good but I noticed the amount of wood burned went through the roof! I did have to add half a chimney full of charcoal every few hours to get a bed of coals back down. Not sure what happened there...

Started out with a slab of baby backs that finished about 2:00. Decided since the cook was going so good that I'd hurry up and thaw out some bacon and sausage to make my first fatty! Stuffed the fatty with some green pepper, onions, and shredded cheese. Was rushing to get it prepped before I had to go pick up my daughter from school and forgot to put any seasoning on it. Threw some wood on the smoker to keep temp halfway, went and got the kid from school, came home and threw the fatty on and cranked the temp to around 300. It got done around 5:30. Just enough time to eat really fast and head out for the daughters gymnastic class. Sorry no pic of the fatty. It wasn't that pretty anyway, I REALLY need some practice on weaving!

The ribs turned out good. After reading a post on here about making the rub stick to ribs, I opted to simply salt, pepper, and some light rub. I also read in the same post, I believe from Cowgirl, that bacon grease was used as a "sticking agent", so I melted some bacon grease and added apple cider vinegar and some pepper and brushed in on after first and second hour. The ribs turned out pretty darn good. The wife had the real camera so I had to take a picture with my cell phone.... I just wanted some kind of proof that I did cook them. I know the whole "no picture, it didn't happen" thing.

martyleach 01-28-2013 10:15 PM

Thanks for the post dude! Life gets really busy when you have young kids. I am amazed you had time to post at all!!

flyingbassman5 01-28-2013 10:15 PM

Nice cook there! You're a straight shot out hwy 50 from me about 2 and a half hours..invite me over next time! haha!

Bludawg 01-28-2013 11:32 PM

Good job getting it all done with all the wrangling childrens.Turn your pit so the FB is out of the wind it will help maintain your coal base.

BigBellyBBQ 01-29-2013 01:52 AM

remember even if you had a bad day at the pit is better than a good day at work!!

KyleOH 01-29-2013 07:23 AM

Just like the wood furnace in my house, high winds suck wood down! Good job on the cook.

Asus Transformer Tablet. TapatalkHD