The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Weber Performer vs. a simple chimney starter (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=160137)

MeatyOakerSmoker 05-04-2013 04:42 PM

Weber Performer vs. a simple chimney starter

Hello

I know this is near blasphemy on the forum with all the love for the Weber but I found a good deal on Weber Performer then I just got to thinking, What does the performer really give me over a chimney starter? Is there any benefit to the Performer in terms of the start speed or otherwise that I don't get from using the chimney?

Thanks
Sam

superlazy 05-04-2013 04:57 PM

convenience

Johnny_Crunch 05-04-2013 04:59 PM

I start my chimney with the Weber. Much faster.

landarc 05-04-2013 05:19 PM

Convenience is a big deal. Especially if you really want to cook on charcoal, the Performer makes lighting up as easy as gas. I would own one if not for the price.

MisterChrister 05-04-2013 05:28 PM

Use both. Chimney starter over the gas assist. Easy breezy. And of course the table. Everyone should have at least one ;-)

cholloway 05-04-2013 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterChrister (Post 2470124)
Use both. Chimney starter over the gas assist. Easy breezy. And of course the table. Everyone should have at least one ;-)

I can start charcoal prolly 5 different ways. The table/workspace is great.
I just bought another SS Performer today and the gas assist was the last thing I considered. This one was BLUE!
I doubt I'll ever need the gas assist but, it came with two 5 lb tanks and a heavy duty cover.

MeatyOakerSmoker 05-04-2013 05:36 PM

I'm convinced. It didn't take much :wink: thanks for the replies

rcbaughn 05-04-2013 05:57 PM

Yeah that table I love. I don't have the gas assist but I think the table was worth the extra. It looks pretty awesome too, it's a focal point on my deck. :mrgreen:

benniesdad 05-04-2013 05:58 PM

Although it doesn't work for all cooking applications, you can really increase the start speed if you keep the charcoal in the baskets. All you have to do the next time is knock them together to get the ash off, maybe add some new charcoal, and then fire it up again. Almost as fast as a gas grill if you do that.

Callahan-que 05-04-2013 06:07 PM

You can get a Performer with or with out gas assist. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

charrederhead 05-04-2013 06:16 PM

SSPs (w/ gas)- a nifty all-in-one package. They are so freaking cool, why NOT have one? (in every color)

You've got your SS work surface, push-button lighter, grate hanger, and a tub for keeping the beer cold. The only thing Weber forgot was the bottle opener.

SmokinAussie 05-04-2013 08:43 PM

Gas assist is terrific... with a chimney starter. Oil some newspaper, pack it in, then add the charcoal and fire up the gas assist. You only need it on 30 seconds and then the starter takes over. I little tank of gas will then last you ages.

Cheers!

Bill

BobM 05-04-2013 09:17 PM

I chose a 22 1/2" OTG over a Performer, for several reasons.
I use a high output propane torch to light my OTG, as well as my WSMs.
My BernzOMatic JT-850 gets the charcoal going in a jiffy.

Fishawn 05-04-2013 10:26 PM

Table, grate hanger, charcoal bin (beer cooler, just add ice :becky:), lid sling, stable platform for moving, thermo in lid, propane assist lighting..... I also use a chimney with paper for lighting & just touch it & its going.

ALSO (and this I found to be a big selling point for me) if you like to cook on your Performer in the low & slow range (which I do), the propane assist is perfect for lighting 6-10 briquettes without a chimney, which can be difficult, without the use of a weed burner, etc.

I have 2 Performers & IMO they are everything Weber didn't have on all the other kettles.... Can't wait for the 26.75" Performer to come out (I HOPE!)

tinman 05-05-2013 12:54 AM

I always thought the gas assist was totally unnecessary, until I got one. They are awesome, and the table goes without saying.