Will it Hang, EP 1 & 2

---k---

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Will it hang? That is the question!

Today's contestants:

P1010472.JPG

First up: The Fattie. Today we're using Jimmy Dean's Country Mild. We're hitting it with a little Pit Barrel All Purpose followed by the Beef & Game. To hang it, I'm going with the vertical double hook chain. This lets the bottom of the fattie rest on the hook. Will it be enough???

P1010479.JPG

Before we find out, we got another contestant: Beef Ribs. This is one of the extra thick beef ribs from Restaurant Depot. Trimmed up to remove the fat cap and the membrane and then hit with Rub Co Santa Maria seasoning. Hooked just below the top bone.

P1010480.JPG

And now into the Pit Barrel, rocking out around 280* with a few Oak chunks.

P1010481.JPG

So, will it hang?

@ 1:00 hr.

P1010482.JPG

P1010486.JPG

P1010488.JPG

Yum, it hangs. :clap::clap::clap:

Ribs are still hanging after 3 hrs.

Thought for sure that fattie was going into the coals!!! :razz:

Hope you've been well, Ryan! :mrgreen:

Tom

That was "edge of my seat" exciting!:thumb: Glad to see it worked.

Great way to work some "suspense" into a thread:wink:, lookin real good so far!

KC

Thanks all. I was pretty sure it would hang, especially with the double hook. I was a little worried when I stuck the hook in and then rotated it putting a tear in the raw sausage. Nothing a little packing couldn't fix. I figured I just had to hold it there for 20 - 30 minutes until the sausage started to tighten up.

Now trying to decide what is up for hanging next.

Wow, ... yeah, I probably would've tried it too! :thumb:

I am also in the "surprised it didn't fall" camp.

Looks tasty, too :twisted:

Way to go! Looks good!

I am also in the "surprised it didn't fall" camp.

Looks tasty, too :twisted:

You can see in the photos that it did elongate a little. But it held. I'm very tempted to try it with one hook in the middle. I really do think there is a good chance it will hold. I got an idea of how to improve my odds with one hook too, but that is a secret for now. Jimmy Deans was on sale, so it will only cost me $2.50 to try. ... Though I need something else in the cooker to justify the charcoal. The Pit Barrel seems thrifty on the amount of charcoal it uses during the cook, but thusfar having been too lazy to rig something up to snuff the fire out and re-use the charcoal, I'm wasting 1/3 to 1/2 of the ~8# ever time I light it.

Did the ribs make it?:wink:
jon

Ahh, the ribs you ask.... did they hang, that is the question:

P1010489.JPG

Yes they hang!

But, I think this photo shows you need to be somewhat careful with your hook placement. I originally had the hook at the other end, because it was a little thinner and I wanted the thicker end closer to the fire. If I hadn't moved it just before putting it on the smoker, these might have been charcoal food.

Final thought, no one has mentioned my title inspiration :sad:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rofgMueCOqo&list=PL5B2372870FCE5A72&index=6"]Will It Blend? - iPhone 5 vs Galaxy S3 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l69Vi5IDc0g&list=SPg6me2IluOEw_kLmO54Ous7ake38VTY5c&index=3"]Will It Blend? - Glow Sticks - YouTube[/ame]

If you're tempted try hanging full untrimmed spareribs. In my 16 gallon drum Smokey Joe conversion I hung two slabs, each with a single hook, and one fell into the coals at around 3 hours. The other one held til it was done. I rehung the fallen slab til done.

Thank you for experimenting on the sausage chub as far as hanging it.
Know we know!!!

Back