The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Catering, Food Handling and Awareness (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   BBQing for a pizza joint (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93225)

nicerackbbqteam 09-30-2010 03:36 PM

BBQing for a pizza joint

hello i first like to add that you guys have gave me good advice in the past and i thank you

so a local pizza place asked if we can do BBQ on Fridays and Sundays
my question is who pays for the cost of the BBQ(meat) if it will be a 50/50 split
and we are only going to budget 15-20 plates til the buzz starts to bring more people in..

my other question is pricing..what should a plate cost?
will be serving leg quter tri tip and hot link and 2 sides(beans and tater salad)
it will be 1 combo plate for one price or how will i factor a cost per plate?

thank you

TOPS BBQ 09-30-2010 05:39 PM

Just to give you a heads up. A lot "deals" like this usually end up as a "trade". You serve your food and get advertisement from it. Those customers will remarkably call you to cater for their events.:crazy:

So unless you get the whole deal in writing. Don't assume anything. If you're going to split the costs, then split the profits. But someone is usually getting screwed in this deal. Are you approved by the local HD for this type of setup? If not, you better. You might cook all this food the pizza place sells and then calls HD to shoo you away. You're done.

There's lots of red tape you will have to go through, in order to work this out correctly. Handshake deals in this type of situation rarely ever work out. So be careful.

nicerackbbqteam 09-30-2010 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOPS BBQ (Post 1417968)
Just to give you a heads up. A lot "deals" like this usually end up as a "trade". You serve your food and get advertisement from it. Those customers will remarkably call you to cater for their events.:crazy:

So unless you get the whole deal in writing. Don't assume anything. If you're going to split the costs, then split the profits. But someone is usually getting screwed in this deal. Are you approved by the local HD for this type of setup? If not, you better. You might cook all this food the pizza place sells and then calls HD to shoo you away. You're done.

There's lots of red tape you will have to go through, in order to work this out correctly. Handshake deals in this type of situation rarely ever work out. So be careful.

dont i know you ? lol jk
the HD is not a problem the owner will be working with them and the property owner..besides they dont work weekends haha! jk we got it coverd..the food will be cooked and sold ,plated and served inside.

there was someone else bbqin for them..but they wrent happy with his attitude and bbqued when he felt like it and flavors were inconsistent ..this is a new location they have opend up and they want us to.. well hopfuly bbq for them..but im not sure how to approach this... if you have any advice or opinions on how to ask the heavy questions to them that will great...i have a meeting tomorrow with them ..Oh and the manager love our food :becky:

TOPS BBQ 10-01-2010 01:03 AM

Yeah, I think our paths have crossed.

Anyhow, you have to ask yourself 'what do I want to get out of this?' How much work am I putting into this versus getting paid. What is the pizza place getting out of this? I have to wonder what their pizza tastes like, if their selling BBQ? Pizza has a high profit margin than BBQ. Are you hoping that people see your name and call you to cater for them? Is the pizza place okay with you advertising your name around their business?

Again, this type of situation turns out to be a trade. You two provide entirely different types of foods and essentially want to have more customers to call on you. Do you need the pizza place? Why do they need you? Just start asking yourself questions and then present them to them. Remember to get everything in writing! Don't be shy about asking or how to ask questions. Business is very cruel and if either party can't handle questions like these, then just turn the opposite way and walk.

Good luck.

nicerackbbqteam 10-01-2010 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOPS BBQ (Post 1418270)
Yeah, I think our paths have crossed.

Anyhow, you have to ask yourself 'what do I want to get out of this?' How much work am I putting into this versus getting paid. What is the pizza place getting out of this? I have to wonder what their pizza tastes like, if their selling BBQ? Pizza has a high profit margin than BBQ. Are you hoping that people see your name and call you to cater for them? Is the pizza place okay with you advertising your name around their business?

Again, this type of situation turns out to be a trade. You two provide entirely different types of foods and essentially want to have more customers to call on you. Do you need the pizza place? Why do they need you? Just start asking yourself questions and then present them to them. Remember to get everything in writing! Don't be shy about asking or how to ask questions. Business is very cruel and if either party can't handle questions like these, then just turn the opposite way and walk.

Good luck.

Thank you Tops for the hard questions to ask...
they are picking up the cost..meat sides fuel.. they already know they are talking a loss we hashed a plan and we both agree it would benefit us both..like u said i hope it works out..just wait till the Bar inside opens up
place will be busy on the weekends:becky: and drunk ppl like to eat haha

thank you wish me luck

Smiter Q 10-01-2010 11:45 PM

Another thought is to set dates, such as a 3 month trial run, then both parties revisit the plan at that time together. Have the dates in writing, so there is no misunderstanding. Having a trial period takes away the uneasiness that may appear down the road if either party is unhappy for whatever reasons. You may not like him, he may not like you, etc. Also with a 3 month test run the pressure of "What if this does not work?" is off of your backs. At that point both parties address what needs to be, as surely there will be stuff to address. Also you can set the next time period, whether another 3, 4, 5, or 6 months. Or either party can walk away, with minimal harms or fouls to each other.

PorkQPine 10-02-2010 09:24 AM

This just doesn't sound right. I owned a pizza and bbq joint and I can tell you that pizza is way more profitable, by a factor of 10, and there is no waste so I wonder what their motivation is to split the profit with you when they can keep 100% of the pizza profit. Why do they want you to do this? Are they on the downslide and are just trying to sell something? You are going to do all the work and get 1/2 the profit??? I am thinking that they want to add bbq to their menu so they are using you to test the market and when they are convinced that it will sell they will do it themselves. As a temporary marketing venture for you this might make sense but I would not expect this to work out long term.