The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Pulled Pork Tutorial WANTED !!! (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92167)

Rover >~<> 09-11-2010 05:22 PM

Pulled Pork Tutorial WANTED !!!

I hope i didn't just miss it while searching, but i looked for a tutorial for making pulled pork in a UDS. If someone would please post step by step instructions with their marinade, rub, sauce, technique, etc.... I would be greatly appreciative. I bet there are a lot of new Q enthusiest like me looking for some guidance.

Im not looking for a pictorial either, just some written steps would help. Im college student and don't want to waste money messing up my first butt/ shoulder or whatever you use for pulled pork.

Johnny_Crunch 09-11-2010 05:25 PM

some tips in this thread

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh....php?p=1390849

Meat Burner 09-11-2010 05:27 PM

Rover, you must have missed it then. Use the search button for "pulled pork" and you will get pages of information. There is no single answer to your question as there are lots of good ways to cook a pork butt to get pulled pork. Good luck searching.

Rover >~<> 09-11-2010 05:39 PM

No didn't miss it. just dont want to read 200 post to get a tip here and there. I was hoping to get a step by step tutorial . And yes yes everyone has different methods there is no one answer....thats the easy way out of answering a post . Remember im new so im just looking for some starting points...But I found what i was looking for on Meatheads website check it out and you'll see what i was looking for.

Paulmark 09-11-2010 06:20 PM

No didn't miss it. just dont want to read 200 post to get a tip here :laugh: LOL I can understand that ..Cool Rover, good luck with it, if you can, post some pics

Boshizzle 09-11-2010 06:35 PM

Purchase a 8 - 9 pound pork butt.

Rub the butt down good with Ployboy's Yardbird.

Let the butt sit at room temperature for 30 minutes (and no more) before you put it in the pit.

Start the fire in your smoker. Use hickory for smoke.

Stabilize the smoker temp to around 250 - 275.

When the smoker is ready, put the butt in it.

Maintain the temp in your smoker during the cook.

Cook time will vary. Expect at least six to eight hours.

After 6 hours, start checking the butt for doneness. You know it is good for pulled pork when it wiggles when you push it or when you can wiggle the bone.

If you want to go by temperature, get the internal temperature up to a range between 185 - 195. If you are not sure, go to 200 - 205. Temperature can be different for different butts. I have had some pull at 185 and some wouldn't pull until they reached 200. When it's done, remove it from the smoker, wrap it up on foil, and let it rest for at least 30 minutes.

If you just have to inject it, use Chris Lilly's injection. It's pretty good.

3/4 cup apple juice
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup kosher salt (you may have to grind it to prevent clogging the injector.)
2 tablespoons Worcestershire

Inject it anywhere from 6 hours to 30 minutes before cooking. Make sure the injection is no higher in temp than 40 degrees.

I rarely trim pork butts before cooking. It's not necessary unless there are some areas covered with fat where you want bark. Bark won't develop properly on fat.

It's hard to screw up a pork butt as long as you maintain the proper temperature range and keep it away from direct heat.

Meat Burner 09-11-2010 06:38 PM

Good luck Rover. As a student I would think you might try learning and not demanding for someone to help you. Again, there is no ONE WAY to bbq. Hope it works out for you.

Sleepy Smoker 09-11-2010 06:56 PM

Rules of thumb I keep in mind...

1. It's done when it's done. It typically takes me around 14-16 hours to finish a 9.5 lb. pork butt. Leave it in until it hits 195 as an average from the multiple spots you take its temp.
2. I try to keep the temp. in my smoker roughly between 225-250, and only worry about smoke for the first few hours.
3. Don't worry about using too much rub. Rub is good. A thin layer of yellow mustard can help it stick to your butt. Don't worry - it won't taste like mustard.
4. Your rub can be complex, or a simple as some kosher salt, paprika, brown sugar, and chili powder.
5. Let the butt rest for about an hour after it is removed, and before pulling. Wrap it tightly in foil while resting. If you want to keep it warm for an extended period of time, place the wrapped butt in a cooler, covered with a towel.
6. Serve a variety of sauces on the side, but leave the meat more or less alone. I like to serve it with a mustard based sauce, a vinegary sauce (my favorite), and a typical bbq sauce for those who enjoy that.
7. Don't panic if the pork butt's temperature stalls around 170 degrees for a few hours. It happens. Just keep the temp. in your smoker consistent and ride it out. It will start climbing again... eventually.

jestridge 09-11-2010 07:44 PM

A pork butt is very forgiving

Rover >~<> 09-12-2010 11:35 AM

coating it with mustard is interesting i keep hearing about that. I wasn't sure if i wanted to use it but now that i know it comes out not tasting like mustard i'll be using it. Yello ball park mustard or spicy brown ?

LMAJ 09-12-2010 11:38 AM

I have never done it. Everything I have read talks bout how the vinegar in the mustard helps break down the meat and form a better bark. From all accounts your finished product does not taste like mustard. That's the cool thing about BBQ - no one right way to do it.

Mister Bob 09-12-2010 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rover >~<> (Post 1398792)
No didn't miss it. just dont want to read 200 post to get a tip here and there. I was hoping to get a step by step tutorial . And yes yes everyone has different methods there is no one answer....thats the easy way out of answering a post . Remember im new so im just looking for some starting points...But I found what i was looking for on Meatheads website check it out and you'll see what i was looking for.

There really is no easy way to great BBQ, and there is no definitive step by step method to what you and your friends and family will consider great BBQ. Good is easy, great is a never ending road to perfection.

You have to read and listen, and then try, try, and try again until you come up with the methods, flavor profiles and techniques that works for you and your cooker. Do yourself a favor and take the time to read the 200 posts and then get to work! This is not an easy way out of answering your post, it's the truth!

All that said, this is a good starting point: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/porkbuttselect.html
Good luck on your BBQ journey! :thumb:

Big Ace 09-12-2010 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Bob (Post 1399401)
!
All that said, this is a good starting point: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/porkbuttselect.html

What Mister Bob said.

Hugh Jorgan 09-12-2010 12:21 PM

What are you cooking on? Can you keep it between 250 and 300 degrees for 8 to twelve hours? What has been your BBQing experience to this point?

The answers you seek will not be forthcoming until more patience and method are expressed. Seek the advice of the Jedi cautiously, and respectfully and your path will be made clear for you.

smokehunter 09-12-2010 01:09 PM

Go buy a WSM. Assemble. (I'm not saying WSM is the only and best cooker out there, but for the $$$, for the ease of cooking a butt, and for those long cooks, it's not a bad place to start.)
Buy butt and buy whatever rub you think has a cool label.
Rub butt.
Fill bottom ring with kingsford blue. Light with minion method.
Let temp get to 260.
Put hot water in water pan.
Put butt on.
Cook for 10 hrs or basically until charcoal dies out.
Get favorite red sauce and add a little water and apple cider vinegar.
Wrap in foil and put in cooler for 1.5 hrs.
Pull apart with fork and pour sauce over.
Server.
Drink beer and thank me/brethren later.