The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Lang 84 restoration (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55095)

The Pigman 01-17-2009 10:06 PM

All the work you put into it will be well worth it. Langs Rock

/dev/bbq 01-19-2009 11:34 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Well, the weather was not cooperating on the sandblasting and painting, so decided to take a wire wheel to the grates, hit everything with cooking spray and see how she'd take some seasoning.

The lower grates were literally going to pieces, completely rotted with rust. The upper grate is solid and cleaned up pretty well.

Got a fire going, went through about 6 cans of Pam (should buy stock I guess), and had a big grin on my face about an hour later! This is all in 20-25 degree weather, chamber holding temp easily with the air intakes all but nearly closed (lotta fuel).

Invited a couple friends over yesterday and we put the upper rack to good use!

Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas - I'll eventually get back to the sandblasting and painting. If it turns out this good just spraying it, it's going to be fantastic once it's cleaned up.

Next project will be to replicate the lower grates.

Thanks!

-ralph

Mike - CSBBBQ 01-19-2009 05:16 PM

:-D:-D:-D Amazing what cooking spray and heat can do to a pit. It looks happy must know it is with a good home:wink: You are on the way and are going to be very happy! Thanks for posting the pics and look forward to more once you add the grates and sandblasting (if you decide to). Would at least do the firebox...they love to rust. We repainted and now just spray abou every other fire.

Bigdog 01-19-2009 07:57 PM

I think that you were wise to wait to sandblast and paint it in warmer weather. In the mean time, cook on it to see what else needs fixing. Langs are famous for rusty fireboxes.

Finney 01-19-2009 08:11 PM

Looks great! What a labor of love. LOL
Glad someone that cares has it now.

barbefunkoramaque 01-19-2009 08:58 PM

I am very glad you are doing this - restoring the Pit but, and I hope I do not offend, I hope that the original owner is found and spoken to in a very cross tone. That is what punishment he deserves... a stern and brisk talking to...

:-D

bigabyte 01-19-2009 10:18 PM

You are an angel of BBQ. Very nice work.:cool:

garyk1398 01-19-2009 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque (Post 830357)
I am very glad you are doing this - restoring the Pit but, and I hope I do not offend, I hope that the original owner is found and spoken to in a very cross tone. That is what punishment he deserves... a stern and brisk talking to...

:-D

Agreed, I'd give him more than a talking to. The Lang is looking good!

smokestack 01-20-2009 03:52 AM

looking good- did the basic clean up on mine and have been cooking on it since- will need some paint on the frame and out side shelves but that will happen this summer-

Divemaster 01-20-2009 09:49 AM

She is looking good... Tell you what... I'll up my offer to $2,050...

Dr_KY 01-20-2009 11:08 AM

It's beautiful.

BBQ_MAFIA 01-20-2009 11:19 AM

Great work. You are going to love that pit.

I can't wait for the weather to warm up so I can fire my Lang 60 up.

Divemaster 01-20-2009 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQ_MAFIA (Post 830702)
Great work. You are going to love that pit.

I can't wait for the weather to warm up so I can fire my Lang 60 up.

Why not do it now??? I cook on 'The Mistress' year round... Just have to toss an old wook blanket on her and she holds the temps like a champ!

/dev/bbq 01-20-2009 04:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Divemaster (Post 830655)
She is looking good... Tell you what... I'll up my offer to $2,050...

:biggrin:

Quote:

Originally Posted by garyk1398 (Post 830446)
Agreed, I'd give him more than a talking to. The Lang is looking good!

It's funny, he's a nice person, just didn't know any better. Sadly, thought he was taking good care of it. It's OK, has a good home now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Divemaster (Post 830703)
Why not do it now??? I cook on 'The Mistress' year round... Just have to toss an old wook blanket on her and she holds the temps like a champ!

Ah, sometimes a blanket isn't enough... :-D big change from the weekend!

Thanks for all the comments!

-ralph

nmayeux 01-20-2009 05:45 PM

Great looking pit! Once you get her back to 100%, a light coat of crisco will keep her looking like new forever. The only complaint I have with my Lang, is that I should have bought a larger one!