The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   GFS Score!!! and whats a beef knuckle? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154903)

ButtBurner 02-27-2013 03:27 PM

GFS Score!!! and whats a beef knuckle?

I have 2 GFS's on my way home from work. I stopped in just now to try some of their lump after guys recommended I try it.

They do have a small fresh meat counter now. I saw something interesting, I was going to ask you guys about it, its called a beef knuckle. Looks like a nice little roast, like a sirloin tip, but I have never heard of it. I did a quick search and it looks like thats what it is, part of the sirloin cut

I was going to pick one up if you guys said it was ok.

Then I decide to stop at the other GFS and what do I see???

A small (8 lb) brisket!!! $2.49 lb. Looked like a nice little guy so I snagged it. I have been looking for a smaller one but they are not easy to find by me. It was packed on Jan 28th.

It will be perfect for a try on my new OK Joe. I have done a few in the past on other smokers that have come out fine.

So the knuckle will have to wait LOL

SO whats the deal with them anyway??

Big M1ke 02-27-2013 04:44 PM

Is that anything like moose knuckle?:laugh:

superlazy 02-27-2013 04:46 PM

sirloin tip?

buffalotom 02-27-2013 04:49 PM

You were right when you mentioned Sirloin Tip. If they keep them whole instead of cutting them apart they are called a knuckle. The sirloin tip is located close to the round.

ButtBurner 02-27-2013 04:50 PM

all I can tell you they looked like a sirloin roast, they are smallish, about 6-8 lbs and felt boneless

ButtBurner 02-27-2013 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buffalotom (Post 2386407)
You were right when you mentioned Sirloin Tip. If they keep them whole instead of cutting them apart they are called a knuckle. The sirloin tip is located close to the round.

oh ok, you responded while I was making my last reply.

thanks

landarc 02-27-2013 04:52 PM

Per IMPS guidelines, the knuckle is the Beef Round, Sirloin Tip. Peeled simply means that tendon and skin is removed from the cut.

tarheelsmoker 02-27-2013 05:13 PM

Not to be confused with the top sirloin, which is part of the loin.

Mike

ButtBurner 02-27-2013 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarheelsmoker (Post 2386437)
Not to be confused with the top sirloin, which is part of the loin.

Mike

ok so my question is, is this an ok cut to smoke to say, 130F and slice it into sandwich meat?

superlazy 02-27-2013 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superlazy (Post 2386400)
sirloin tip?

I meant I think it's a sirloin tip. lol
Long farkin day