The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Moink faq (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51897)

Bill-Chicago 11-10-2008 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HB-BBQ (Post 778496)

Now if I omit the pork and just use the beef and veal they would still be a true moink ball right?

The introduction of veal enters you into the Moinkwurst area, I believe

:wink:

nthole 11-11-2008 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willkat98 (Post 778763)
Moinkwurst

:wink:

You sir...are a genious.

Muzzlebrake 11-15-2008 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQchef33 (Post 778464)

and what if I use turkey bacon?

turkey bacon?? are you kidding me?
might as well use frozen meatballs!

JD McGee 11-15-2008 10:42 AM

I have no idea why I am reading this thread...only now I can't seem to stop...:twisted:

BarberQue 12-11-2008 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ipls3355 (Post 777656)
What kind on meatballs are you all using for your MOINK balls?

All the ones I could find were allready cooked. I was afraid since they were cooked, they wouldn't take any smoke. So I made mine from scratch. Easy recipe:

1 lb ground beef
1 lb ground pork
1 cup crushed saltine crackers
2 eggs
4 tsp BBQ rub (I looked up a meatball recipe and added the total amount of spices and substituted my BBQ rub)

Worked well
http://home.mchsi.com/~rankin/trinity4.jpg

Man them sure look good!! Did you cook them first and then wrap with bacon and put back on to finish cooking? I've never done any and would like to make some. Also, what temp was the grill when you put them on?

Phlytyer 05-05-2009 07:11 AM

MOINK Ball Qs

1. about what size is recommended for Moink Balls?
  2. about how long in the smoker at what temp?
  3. no herbage?...veggies?...etc.?
Recipe must be in restricted section so I must post something to gain access...

Now, my 2 cents about what meat should be in a Moink...any good meatball mixture should be acceptable. SWMBO makes some wonderful mushroom meatballs that I think would be excellent candidates for this application.

Phlytyer 05-05-2009 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQ Grail (Post 777777)
Official MOINK Balls are made using pre-cooked Italian style meatballs.

You can use anything else you'd like but THE officially licensed MOINK Ball is done one way and one way only.

BTW: Your imitation moink balls look very nice...

"Officially licensed" :confused:

Ashmont 05-05-2009 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQ Grail (Post 777889)
That's funny Pat.

Not threatened at all.

Moink Balls are what Moink Balls are.

Imitation they are (I prefer free range MOINK) They look good But not true Moink Balls :lol:

BBQ Grail 05-05-2009 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phlytyer (Post 917608)
  1. about what size is recommended for Moink Balls?
  2. about how long in the smoker at what temp?
  3. no herbage?...veggies?...etc.?
Recipe must be in restricted section so I must post something to gain access...

Now, my 2 cents about what meat should be in a Moink...any good meatball mixture should be acceptable. SWMBO makes some wonderful mushroom meatballs that I think would be excellent candidates for this application.

Make all the bacon wrapped meatballs you'd like from whatever meatballs you choose. They just aren't world famous, loved by many MOINK Balls.

Take one pre-cooked, frozen (but thawed) meatball
Wrap with 1/2 slice of bacon
Rub with your favorite rub
Smoke in your smoker for about 90 minutes at 225 degrees
Glaze or sauce if you so desire.

Eat and enjoy...

Since coming up with this little treat last summer I have been amazed at the discussions that keep coming up about a stupid appetizer.

Why is it necessary to change something? Why is it necessary to call something that's not a MOINK Ball a MOINK Ball.

If I make Osso Bucco but use a different meat other than veal it's not Osso Bucco. Some people might call it Osso Bucco, but it's not.

There's a history to the MOINK Ball. A history of one of the best weekends I've ever spent with some dear, dear friends. I guess in my somewhat warped mind, when you want to mess with MOINK Balls, you are messing with that memory.

Some have accused me of being a little overly sensitive when it comes to MOINK Balls and maybe I am, but I came up with these appetizers for the wedding of the daughter of some special family friends and named it in memory of an event with some of my favorite BBQ friends. So, yeah I guess I am senstive about it.

Do what you want with the recipe, just don't call it MOINK.

Okay, rant over. That's just a tad too serious for first thing in the morning...

MRI_Guy 05-05-2009 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQ Grail (Post 917626)
Do what you want with the recipe, just don't call it MOINK.

Okay, rant over. That's just a tad too serious for first thing in the morning...

Other than CRAP - was a name ever given to the apetizers made out of these balls?

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-...15_2498394.jpg

Making these TURKEY CRAP because they were wrapped in Turkey Bacon...........

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-...19_6942473.jpg

Mark 05-05-2009 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQchef33 (Post 778336)
So if wrapping meatballs in bacon makes it a moink balls, what is wrapping a fatty in bacon?

and I'm sorry, but excluding an entire nationality from making moinks is not very brethrenly. I am not allowed to buy precooked italian meatballs, as most self respecting Italians will attest.

My grandmother will rise from the dead, beat me senseless with the wooden spoon we buried her with(at her request, along with her Polenta pot), then proceed to wrap my balls in bacon and send me to hell for them to crisp up.

That gives me an idea: bacon wrapped Rocky Mountain Oysters

BigGar 05-05-2009 03:29 PM

Quote:

That gives me an idea: bacon wrapped Rocky Mountain Oysters
These don't need no fancy name, when ya serve 'em, just tell people, here's some balls

BigBarry 05-05-2009 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQchef33 (Post 778464)
But if i mix Beef(moo) AND Pork(oink) in the meatballs, technically its still a Moink..

inquiring minds what to know.

That would be MOINKOINK!

I can't wait to try MOINKs this w/e.

SmokeJumper 05-12-2010 10:15 AM

When I use lamb is it a Boink ball?

Baaa
Oink

BBQ Grail 05-12-2010 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokeJumper (Post 1279407)
When I use lamb is it a Boink ball?

Baaa
Oink

Call it whatever you want...just don't call it a MOINK Ball.