The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Air Intake Question (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71556)

countyliner 10-27-2009 07:45 AM

Air Intake Question

2 Attachment(s)
My original post is getting pretty long and I'm sure its a PITA sifting through it all, but I need some advice on how much air intake I need to allow for on this please.

Attachment 33081

Attachment 33082

The fire box is 22" x 23". The tank is 41".

Would two 2 1/2" holes allow enough air for this size box? I'd hate to wrap up this part of the build and end up with a fire that is starving for air.

Skidder 10-27-2009 09:20 AM

It's easier to add intake than take away. That there is one interesting build ya got going on.

Midnight Smoke 10-27-2009 09:29 AM

I would have an adjustable damper/s for the intake. That way you could control a wider heat range.

BBQ Bandit 10-27-2009 09:37 AM

Sliding intake door (BGE type) or a daisy wheel (weber kettle).

countyliner 10-27-2009 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skidder (Post 1068522)
It's easier to add intake than take away. That there is one interesting build ya got going on.

Thanks for the reply, Skidder.

Needing to add more air vents down the line is what I'm trying to avoid.

All vents on this thing will be fully adjustable with a simple sliding damper.

I'm looking for advice on how much is needed. I don't want to go overboard and put in 6 vents when 2 or 3 would be adequate.

countyliner 10-27-2009 09:40 AM

Smoker and Bandit,

Thanks. But how much would you think would be enough?

BBQ Bandit 10-27-2009 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by countyliner (Post 1068537)
Smoker and Bandit,

Thanks. But how much would you think would be enough?

No hard science... amount of maximum intake = maximum possible temp. In other words... how hot/hi temp do you want to go?

Guess a tral burn (with wired thermos on the grate)... start with a small intake wide open. The trial will guide your direction.

Please watch your air leaks/gaps... how well will the vents seal? Might be a little tricky if you do wish to dial down the temps on a smoke session.

barbefunkoramaque 10-27-2009 12:08 PM

I think everyone here knows exactly what I am thinking.

P.S. - LOVE the design. I am jealous.

Skidder 10-27-2009 01:01 PM

It can't be to hard. Sorry I answered it wrong but even if you have a six inch hole as long as it is adjustable you shouldn't have a problem. See what I mean?

drbowden 10-27-2009 01:04 PM

considered a forced air system

given the size of your cooker, have you considered a forced air with a controllable speed (think of a motor from an old vacuum cleaner forcing air through a piece of exhaust pipe, with a damper system to regulate how much flow goes into the cooker). If the air flow is directly onto the coals, you can go from very low heat to blacksmith capabilities!

Skidder 10-27-2009 01:11 PM

Maybe look around at other cookers and you can judge from that. To me you can't go to big cause if it's adjustable you can crank it down till you reach the temp your looking for.

countyliner 10-27-2009 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque (Post 1068661)
I think everyone here knows exactly what I am thinking.

P.S. - LOVE the design. I am jealous.

Thanks, and,,,what are you thinking? lol

Thanks all. I guess there isnt a hard and fast answer to my question. This is my first project like this and I have no idea what I'm doing, kinda just designing as I go and trying to keep the grind-off and re-do to a minimum.

Skidder, you didnt answer wrong. Sorry if my reply gave you that idea.

I have thought about the forced air thing but hope to stay away from that.

I want this to mainly be a smoker. I'd like to get it working like an uds or a kettle, get everything adjusted just right so that it will cook for several hours without constant tending.

Thanks again.

BobBrisket 10-27-2009 03:19 PM

I'm thinking you have enough. I can't tell how the intake you have works though. Does it slide upward or to the left(I'm looking at the last pic) It looks like the vent is well under the coal grate so it draws air upward, and it looks to be high enough from the bottom so that ash doesn't clog it up. Can you get a another pic of the vent holes and how it works so we can get a clearer idea of it? Is there any way you can factor in space for an extra hole to drill out if you see you need it?

justjack 11-10-2010 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by countyliner (Post 1068459)
My original post is getting pretty long and I'm sure its a PITA sifting through it all, but I need some advice on how much air intake I need to allow for on this please.

Attachment 33081

Attachment 33082

The fire box is 22" x 23". The tank is 41".

Would two 2 1/2" holes allow enough air for this size box? I'd hate to wrap up this part of the build and end up with a fire that is starving for air.

I used to have a bookmark to Countyliners bloody brilliant buoy/tank, but since a hd went aovert I lost it, and the search function is essentially retarded, I can no longer find the right link. So if anyone has a link to his original thread, and any pertinent subsequent threads, I'd appreciate them. Cheers.
Edit: well finally search coughed up something I could use. Still hands down THE BEST bit of kit I've seen knocked up, anywhere, anytime, in regards to outdoor cooking.