Help: purchased sides

Cloudsmoker

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Two large church cooks coming up. Got a plan for the meats, but may need to purchase the sides: potatoe salad, slaw, etc. Appreciate your recommendations.

Do you mean where to buy them or how to fix them a bit.

The stuff from Costco is not bad at all. If you can get into a RD, then that is your better option for both size and choices. I really dislike bulk slaw. But, there are some decent potato salads and of course, the food service size (#10?) cans of beans make life easier.

Yep - sides to purchase when not able to make my own. Have tried the RD potato salad (yuk). Will give Costco a look - thanks.

I am a chef at a large baptist church and our members would be expecting the southern basics. Just like you said potato salad, cole slaw, baked beans, Texas toast, banana pudding. Have you done ribs before for a large crowd? It's not easy and will take a lot.

I find the potato salad at Costco tastes a little more like the good potato salad at the grocery store, which is acceptable.

Helps to have help

I am a chef at a large baptist church and our members would be expecting the southern basics. Just like you said potato salad, cole slaw, baked beans, Texas toast, banana pudding. Have you done ribs before for a large crowd? It's not easy and will take a lot.

Large (crowd) is relative. Cooking for a 150 or so and, yes, have done that. Just won't have the time or space to prepare sides.

I wouldn't put my reputation on the line with any store bought sides. You can make them the day before and store them in the cooler in cambro containers. I would cut all the slaw and mix up the dressing and store in the cooler and mix it up as needed it really makes a difference in the taste.
Thanks, Jeff Therrell
Sweetfire BBQ

Back