The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   My first Brisket......Looking for some advice (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92542)

Bluesman 09-18-2010 10:01 AM

My first Brisket......Looking for some advice

This morning as I walked through the Piggly Wiggly, what do I see. Oh Yeah :clap2::clap2: an 8# CAB briskie, all for me. So I scoop one up at off to the kitchen I go. I have read, everyhting on here that my old, mass of gray matter can absorb and am looking for a couple of quick tips and or opinions.

1.) Do I trim off any fat before the rub down begins?

2.) Am I looking at a flat, no point attached? Seems that way to me.

3.) I'm thinking, salt, pepper, corriander, Montreal steak seasoning for the rub. Sound simple?

4.) Want to smoke at 250* over hickory and cherry, maybe some apple. Now which cooker UDS, or WSM?

Havent's decided on a full smoke until 200* or foil with broth at 160*. I will let the alchohol gods decide.

Just loooking to get out of the gate and finish something that is wonderful BBQ.

chad 09-18-2010 10:09 AM

You got, basically, a big flat. I cook fat side down (heresy, I know!) so I don't usually trim the fat unless there is a really thick cap. It's all going to the bottom the cooker or water pan anyway.

I'd lose the coriander for the first cook. S&P and Montreal will season it well. Pick one of your fruit woods for flavor - the meat doesn't pick up that many flavors. Use some oak for "heat" if you have some.

You don't need broth if you wrap. Just use some apple juice or water. At 250 you'll be a while getting to 160 so unless you are going to be there all night you will want to foil it.

Good luck. I'm sure others will chime in and by the time you start cooking you'll be confused as all heck!

Boshizzle 09-18-2010 10:10 AM

You will get a lot of different answers, but here is mine. When I cook brisket, I only trim the fat off of the top where I want the bark to form. Other than that, I leave the fat on during cooking. I cook it fat cap down.

As far as seasonings or cooker choice, the seasonings you listed sound good to me. Use what you like. As far as cooker, use the one that can hold the temp you need the longest without tending it.

leanza 09-18-2010 11:35 AM

I agree, lose the coriander.

Bluesman 09-18-2010 12:03 PM

Thanks Guys,

Trimmed some fat from the top and made a cut to find the grain later. Rubbed with S&P and Montreal. Have it in the fridge resting right now. I'm guessing 8# flat at 250 on the UDS should go about 10-12 hours. What would be your guess for time? ANd should I let it sit the fridage over night or is that to long?

Vince B 09-18-2010 01:33 PM

The brisket will be fine over night. I do this all the time with my seasoned meats for the smoker. On a low and slow cook I believe the time is normally 1-1/2 to 2 hrs a lb. However last weekend I made a small 5lb flat that went 12 hrs on my wsm at 220*! I did not foil mine until the last couple hours because I did not think it would ever be done! I did foil with some beef broth and to my surprise it turned out great. I really though that I had killed this one and it would be dried out. Brisket for me has been one of the hardest things to make well! Good luck BM!

2Fat 09-18-2010 01:44 PM

Love those bigger flats---I'd cook it a bit hotter(300+) degrees and wrap when the color is good---probably done in 5hrs or so--let it rest then enjoy!!

tjus77 09-18-2010 02:26 PM

I might be totally wrong, but that last picture sure looks like a whole brisket with some of the flat cut off.

barbefunkoramaque 09-18-2010 02:56 PM

Please do NOT - I repeat - DO NOT LET THIS SIT IN THE FRIDGE AND DO NOT LISTEN TO ANYONE WHO TELLS YOU OTHERWISE.

While a basic (SPICE) rub is alright to leave on - and by the way nix the broth - montreal or salts should not be left on.... its pointless of not damaging.

Anyone who disagrees (and don't take this personal) simply has retarded tastes buds or tastes such crap in comparison they do not know good brisket when they taste it.

Once again... nothing personal, they are just not in the proper frame of mind and should make spaghetti the rest of their lives.

IF YOU READ THIS POST AND ARE OFFENDED BECAUSE YOU WOULD LEAVE IT ON --- PLEASE READ THIS DISCLAIMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have not read the posts as frankly, I could care less what people have to say... I mean even if they agree with me... they are wrong... so if you take offense to my saying your stupid (which I am - but not officially) then please accept my apologies and I didn't mean to say you were stupid... uh... at least to your face... I do reserve the RIGHT to PM anyone and tell them you are stupid though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluesman (Post 1405596)
Thanks Guys,

Trimmed some fat from the top and made a cut to find the grain later. Rubbed with S&P and Montreal. Have it in the fridge resting right now. I'm guessing 8# flat at 250 on the UDS should go about 10-12 hours. What would be your guess for time? ANd should I let it sit the fridage over night or is that to long?

pigdog 09-18-2010 04:52 PM

If It was me I would put salt on it and leave itin the fridge for awhile. :-P

btcg 09-18-2010 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluesman (Post 1405496)
This morning as I walked through the Piggly Wiggly, what do I see. Oh Yeah :clap2::clap2: an 8# CAB briskie, all for me. So I scoop one up at off to the kitchen I go. I have read, everyhting on here that my old, mass of gray matter can absorb and am looking for a couple of quick tips and or opinions.

1.) Do I trim off any fat before the rub down begins?

2.) Am I looking at a flat, no point attached? Seems that way to me.

3.) I'm thinking, salt, pepper, corriander, Montreal steak seasoning for the rub. Sound simple?

4.) Want to smoke at 250* over hickory and cherry, maybe some apple. Now which cooker UDS, or WSM?

Havent's decided on a full smoke until 200* or foil with broth at 160*. I will let the alchohol gods decide.

Just loooking to get out of the gate and finish something that is wonderful BBQ.

Take the beef broth and empty it into a large vessel.

Add enough salt so as to make the sodium level 30%. You want a 30% ratio so as to make the meat moist. Make sure that the injection is at room temp.

Let the meat come to room temp.

Inject it "with the grain," remembering that the more you can inject, the more flavor you'll have.

Add a rub. Watch the sodium levels. I make my own, but like Plowbows and Todd's Dirt: both are excellent. If using the dirt, remember: less is more.

Cook ala Myron Mixon @ 350 until the inside temp is 205 (I tell you this as a JOS grad).

You will LOVE the results!

Bluesman 09-18-2010 06:00 PM

While waiting for replys I, rubbed with S&P, Montreal and have it in the fridge. This happened between posts 3 and beyond. So I guess I am going to get what I am going to get. In any event, I have cataloged everone's advice for use the next time, and the next time and the next tme. I really did not want to wait until later in the day, because if the fridge was right, than I lost a day and tomorrow is the only time I can do the Brisket. My UDS Smokin' Bucky is loaded and ready for fire. This will happen in the early am Sunday morning. Can't do it tonight, High School Football game and then drinkls with the neighbors are on the agenda. I will post a seperate thread tomorrow with the results......Boy hope it doesn't suck :redface:

Thanks to all :clap2:

pigdog 09-18-2010 06:10 PM

It'll be great!

Meat Burner 09-18-2010 06:32 PM

Bluesman, it will be fine bro. You can try some different things next time but this one will be just fine. Look forward to your results tomorrow. Enjoy the game and the adult bevs tonight.:thumb:

btcg 09-18-2010 06:42 PM

Do it as I told you and you'll get professional results.

Boshizzle 09-18-2010 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btcg (Post 1405878)
Do it as I told you and you'll get professional results.

+1

I've never had a hot and fast brisket turn out bad.

btcg 09-19-2010 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boshizzle (Post 1405968)
+1

I've never had a hot and fast brisket turn out bad.

Me either.

Now, one thing as to the sodium levels:

Myron uses a pretty high level of sodium in his cooks: about 30% when you total all of the sodium levels in the various ingredients. There can be no doubt that this works well: just look at the 3 World Championships. In general, this ratio will be the way to go for most people, as it will appeal to most.

But then, there's my wife, who HATES sodium... and you've got to have some sodium, so I have to disguise it. To do this, I keep the level at about 5%. Then I tell her that I didn't use any. She'll be eating, and say things like:

"You see, you don't need salt. This is every bit as good as a meal you'd pay $28 for in a fine restaurant and you didn't need any salt at all. I don't know why you don't listen when I tell you things....etc. And another thing....."

I just smile and say "yes dear."

I guess the moral is to consider who you're cooking for, and use the approprite amount of salt.