A little help please - rotisserie turkey

dwfisk

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I just ordered all the parts to add a rotisserie to my Santa Maria ranch grill and I should be up and running by next weekend. I'm planning a test run using bone in, skin on turkey breast(s), probably 6-8 pounds each. I'm plannig on brining and rub under the skin but could use some advice from all you rotisserie experts:

1) What do you use as a baste (I'm thinking a herb-garkic butter)?

2) Do you stuff the bird or leave the cavity empty?

3) What do you do for gravey? On the Santa Maria ranch grill the heat source is below the rotating meat, not sure I can use a drip pan?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
After some thought regarding rotisserie style. I have one on my oven inside the kitchen.
1.) Tuck herbed butter under the skin it will baste as it spins.
2.) Sausage herb stuffing always
3.) Giblet gravy with the bag of organs and neck in the cavity when you buy them. Reduce the giblets and part with the neck and voila....GRAVY Good!

I prefer my stuffing cooked separately and usually put aromatics inside the bird. Lots of different herbs, onion, apple, orange, and lemon. Comes out really nice! I use a kettle rotisserie and still fit a turkey sized foil pan underneath to catch the drippings for smoked turkey gravy. Dynamite!! I just do two banks of coals, one on each side.

Back