• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Average brisket weight

Chief_USN

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I've been searching for a whole brisket and not having much luck. My local Wally-World has brisket and is labeled "Whole" but it only weighs about 4-5lbs and looks more like it's just the flat. Couple of other stores I've gone to have them labeled as "Flat" and are about the same weight. So what weight would I be looking for for a whole brisket? I haven't seen anything bigger than 4-5lbs and all look like flats but some are label as wholes.

Chad

Smallest "whole" packer I have seen runs 11-14 lbs.

I've been searching for a whole brisket and not having much luck. My local Wally-World has brisket and is labeled "Whole" but it only weighs about 4-5lbs and looks more like it's just the flat. Couple of other stores I've gone to have them labeled as "Flat" and are about the same weight. So what weight would I be looking for for a whole brisket? I haven't seen anything bigger than 4-5lbs and all look like flats but some are label as wholes.

Chad
A packer will usually weigh between 12 and 15 lbs.. I sometimes see some pretty good sized ones that are pushing 17 to 20 lbs., those usually have a LOT of fat on them though!
It sounds to me like you're going to have to find a Sam's, a Costco or perhaps a local butcher that can get you something besides a flat. I see that you're in MD and you might have better luck finding a packer in a couple of months when the BBQ-ing season gets started as I'm sure that market managers are focusing on what is seasonal sellers. Right now it's probably pot roasts and stew meat! LOL!:wink:

I've actually gotten some 8-9 lber packers but they came from a store called HEB , don't believe you have it where your at but anyway, I like the 12lb range, cooks good ,not all day deal etc.... But I do 14-16lbs also. Seems to me the bigger the brisket the more fat, so if someone gets a 16lb and they trim your looking at 14-13lb probably. Just my 2 sense.

Drive over to DC take your detailer some killer ribs xfer to joint base Dallas or NAS Corpus Christie :wink:

I have seen them as low as 8 lbs. Actually I look for those, especially with these prices lately

The one I bought yesterday was just over 9

Thanks everyone. So as I suspected, chances are they aren't labeled correctly. I'll keep my eye out.

Chad

I bought these yesterday at Sam's club. This was the only one under 12 pounds. All the others were between 12 and 16 lbs and I bet I went through 15 of them.

Attachments

• IMG_0937.jpg
    IMG_0937.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0946.jpg
    IMG_0946.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 104
I have very rarely seen them less than 10 lbs. Wal Mart here carries flats all the time but full packers tend to be seasonal-ish. Even the flats at Wal Mart aren't full flats, generally a flat cut in two and sometimes the fat cap is trimmed off. I have had Wal Mart briskets turn out good, it just is hard to find them there.

Ex ET1(SS)

Back