The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   if you could only take one class? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238494)

joeraz007 10-31-2016 10:10 AM

if you could only take one class?
 
The title says it all. If you could only take one class what class would you choose and why?

aawa 10-31-2016 10:26 AM

I would take Tuffy Stone's class. He doesn't get to cook like he used too anymore, but when he does, he shows up. He has won the Jack 3 outta 4 years. He has won other prestigious events such as the American Royal.

Anybody that has their processes down where they only cook a few times a year and are able to beat the best of the best, has my attention.

His class is also a tell all. You learn how he handles the meats, his recipes, and also his philosophies about competition cooking.

joeraz007 10-31-2016 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aawa (Post 3677782)
I would take Tuffy Stone's class. He doesn't get to cook like he used too anymore, but when he does, he shows up. He has won the Jack 3 outta 4 years. He has won other prestigious events such as the American Royal.

Anybody that has their processes down where they only cook a few times a year and are able to beat the best of the best, has my attention.

His class is also a tell all. You learn how he handles the meats, his recipes, and also his philosophies about competition cooking.

Tuffy's class is on my list of classes I want to take for sure. I agree with you 100 percent

bpeyton89 10-31-2016 10:56 AM

if cost is no Issue I would love to take Travis Clark's class. The guy can't stop winning.

Ham14 10-31-2016 11:39 AM

I'm not in comps but I did get the chance to go to Myrons school a few years ago and it was fantastic. He is really down to earth and his food is really good. I know why he wins. It's how I cook for the family and they love it.

Right on Q 10-31-2016 11:50 AM

I'd say it depends on what your objective is. If you have a base knowledge of competition bbq I'd say Tuffy, Travis Clark, or Pellet Envy. (I've heard great things about Donny Teel's class as well)

If you're trying to get a base knowledge of comp bbq before you progress to more advanced classes, I'd suggest the Kosmos Q Dvds or any class local to you.

If I had to pick one general answer for everyone I'd say Tuffy.

DR 10-31-2016 12:05 PM

Travis Clarks class is AWESOME. But so was Rod Greys. Next on my list is Tuffy's.

The reason i like these 3 is they all cook on a Jambo which is what i have.

erichasaces 10-31-2016 12:53 PM

If you could only post one question about what class to take, what would it be? :-P :-P

If you are only going to take one, Pick one that uses the same smoker you will be using. Especially if you are starting out. Applying techniques and recipes across smokers doesn't always work perfectly, and learning fire control on your smoker is a huge part of barbecue. That's why I chose the gateway drum class, and the results have been there. I haven't been as successful as some of the other teams in that class, but it still paid for itself. I've had numerous calls in all 4 categories, and The American Royal Open is the only competition I've cooked this year without walking.

Rusty Kettle 10-31-2016 02:35 PM

DivaQ has an awesome class. Very good teacher. Great class for someone starting out. It upped my game. Although there are other people out there that deserve credit too. Just simple things anyone can do imo but are so out there and strange I never thought to try it.

I took a class with 3 Eyez bbq with Dan Hixon a few years back. It was way above the level of class I should have even been in. Although I know he had mentioned a beginners class that he has started since then. A lot of what he was teaching then did not make sense to me then. Some of it is starting to click and I am pulling those notes out and looking at them. My point being if you take a class with Dan Hixon make sure you have some experience under your belt. Unless it is the beginner class

I guess if I had to pick one it would be DivaQ for sure. I keep meaning to pick up her new book too. Plus the class had the best tasting "Apple Juice" :) If you were there you know exactly what I mean. Make sure you ask her about her faux burnt ends if you take her class ever. IF you were in the class at Stone BBQ Supply 2 years ago you will know exactly what I mean lol. I also recommend if you can taking the class at Stone BBQ Supply if you can as the store rocks and I wish they would build another one in Western PA. Seriously the staff is awesome. Very knowledgeable about what they are selling. Great selection and just a great store. Bring lots of money because they have something for everyone. I sound like an ad lol but no affiliation with them just a happy customer that wishes they would build a Pittsburgh based store now that we lost our bbq store.

bubbletop 10-31-2016 03:20 PM

If I could take only 1 class..... it would be from Old 99 Meat CO. I have to learn how he ties all those cool bandanas on! 8-)

dtm4446 10-31-2016 04:04 PM

I would recommend the can class put on by shake n bake and gettin basted. Then I would save up and take rod gray's class. The recipes we got from those two classes are what we cooked at the Royal and they seemed to score ok.

erichasaces 10-31-2016 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbletop (Post 3677945)
If I could take only 1 class..... it would be from Old 99 Meat CO. I have to learn how he ties all those cool bandanas on! 8-)

Shhh.. I don't want people knowing about the power of the bandana!

the only thing people would learn in my class might be how to cook dessert. Outside of that I just get lucky occasionally.

bubbletop 10-31-2016 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erichasaces (Post 3677976)
Shhh.. I don't want people knowing about the power of the bandana!

the only thing people would learn in my class might be how to cook dessert. Outside of that I just get lucky occasionally.

I've seen some solid rib and pork walks out of your camp this year sir

gettinbasted 10-31-2016 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtm4446 (Post 3677972)
I would recommend the can class put on by shake n bake and gettin basted. Then I would save up and take rod gray's class. The recipes we got from those two classes are what we cooked at the Royal and they seemed to score ok.

Lol. Thanks for the endorsement and the nice International BBQ Superstar Blane Hunter style humble brag. Oh, and congrats on your win in the Invitational! When is your class?

erichasaces 10-31-2016 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbletop (Post 3677983)
I've seen some solid rib and pork walks out of your camp this year sir

Hey now, my biggest checks this year came from brisket and chicken. Tim can't get all the credit, Brad helped too.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:25 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.